Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am

Arkady Dvorkovich
11%
Georgios Makropoulos
20%
Nigel Short
48%
None of the Above
22%

Total votes: 46

Alex Holowczak

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:01 pm
Dvorkovich's ticket is nominated by 13 Federations, Nigel's by 6 and Makro's by... 64.
Makes my efforts getting 39 a few years ago for DoHC look rather tame.

David Sedgwick

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Angus French wrote:
Dvorkovich's ticket is nominated by 13 Federations, Nigel's by 6 and Makro's by... 64.
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:10 pm
When your time comes, as suggested near the foot of the page at viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9738, I am sure that you will be able to get more than 64 Federations to nominate you.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:10 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm
Angus French wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:10 pm
When your time comes, as suggested near the foot of the page at viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9738, I am sure that you will be able to get more than 64 Federations to nominate you.
For a chess election, 64 nominations somehow seems to be an appropriate number.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:16 pm

They would need to be distributed equally between "black" and "white" based ethnic groups.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:25 pm

What's your point, caller?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:00 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:31 pm
ECF has nominated Nigel Short for FIDE President.
Leaving options open as to whether to vote for his ticket though.

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/fide-pr ... omination/.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 pm

In case it hasn’t been posted, Malcolm hasn’t exactly held back in this month’s “Chess” editorial

https://www.chess.co.uk/downloads/chess ... sample.pdf

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:29 am

chess-magazine-july-2018 wrote: Beef up and rebrand the Anti Cheating Commission.

I'd call it the Fair Play Commission and have it comprised of arbiters, legal professionals, organisers and most importantly, players. Indeed someone of Nigel’s stature as a player would be ideal as chairman.
An excellent idea. Just as long as it isn't actually Nigel.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:13 am

Angus French wrote:

Nige has got some welcome support though
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:56 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 pm
In case it hasn’t been posted, Malcolm hasn’t exactly held back in this month’s “Chess” editorial

https://www.chess.co.uk/downloads/chess ... sample.pdf
Thanks for the link. I'm a bit sceptical if Makro will change his spots. Or, based on the comments about Jaime, whether Malcolm will have any influence over him when elected.

Taking my irrelevant vote in an irrelevant poll far too seriously, I have not voted for Short again yet. I would rather the ECF made a protest vote for Short than supported Makro. But I don't want to dismiss Dvorkovich out of hand. I understand he is a "Kremlin candidate" but I would still like to hear what he intends to do. The RCF deserves respect, as does the FFE.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:05 am

Must admit that when I saw that Makro was nominated by 64 national federations I thought that all translated into 64 votes but this appears to be far from the truth. In the article Is Presidential Candidate Makropoulos' Claim Of 64 Supporting Federations Too Good To Be True? Peter Doggers shows that this is not the case and my rather naive assumption is taken to task by none other that Silvio Danailov who has a tweet with a picture of Makro "For Sale" on it with the following:
"Let me explain something to all naive @makro_chess supporters. 64 papers doesn’t mean 64 votes, capisci ? Poor guy is trying to show muscles and confidence to sell himself better cos he know he will lose & be dead after elections. Simple as that."

As you have probably guessed Nigel doesn't hold back either:

"Absurd posturing by Makro - trying to puff himself up. Nominations are not votes. He definitely does NOT have the support of the 64 federations he claims, and I shall demonstrate this over the coming weeks."

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:28 am

Indeed, the ECF has nominated Short but won't necessarily vote for him

The nominations may have been made when federations realised that Kirsan was going to lose and wanted to be seen to switch to the winning side

Short's idea of a public debate between the 3 candidates is interesting
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:33 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:05 am
Peter Doggers shows that this is not the case
No he doesn't, he states without comment that it is not the case.
and my rather naive assumption is taken to task by none other that Silvio Danailov
"Silvio Danailov, a former Bulgarian Chess Federation president and a known adversary of Makropoulos, has his own explanation: Makro wanted to show his muscles".

Can't disagree with that, even coming from the most discredited man in the chess world. Doesn't mean the muscles aren't real.

Africa is a mystery to me, but otherwise the supporters of the Russian ticket look very much like the usual suspects who are within their tight political orbit. We'll see whether that develops.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:39 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:33 am
otherwise the supporters of the Russian ticket look very much like the usual suspects who are within their tight political orbit.
With the exception of France presumably.

Is that a case of the personal ambition of Kouatly ? He was around as a potential presidential candidate when the wolves were gathering for Campomanes and before Kirsan got the voting machine under his control.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:57 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:39 am
Is that a case of the personal ambition of Kouatly ?
Must be. My guess is that he won't have much of Western Europe with him, but we shall see.