Sinquefield Cup

The very latest International round up of English news.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Sinquefield Cup

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:40 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:52 am
Also, further to my remarks last night, MVL and Vishy managed to draw every game they played in the tournament.
Maxime made a herculean effort to avoid that in the last round, though.

Apparently his final realistic winning chance slipped away at move 99 (!) That's the sort of thing that can put you off chess.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Was Christopher Kreuzer's question ("But what possessed Nakamura to play 62...g5 and 66...a5?") answered by Lawrence Cooper?
Can it really be that it dawned on Naka at move 62 that he would be better off losing the game? Surely not!?
[long post removed - I misunderstood how the prize money was distributed and what the reports were saying]

(Someone could add up the total GCT prize money over the cycle for all the players and see who won the most money?)
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Was Christopher Kreuzer's question ("But what possessed Nakamura to play 62...g5 and 66...a5?") answered by Lawrence Cooper?
Can it really be that it dawned on Naka at move 62 that he would be better off losing the game? Surely not!?
That was certainly not what I was saying!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm not sure you have enough time in even classical chess to work that out, but if it did worry you, you could reverse the order of the Sinquefield and play classical then rapid then blitz
Last edited by Mick Norris on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:54 pm
I'm not sure you have enough time in even classical chess to work that out, but if it did worry you, you could reverse the order of the Sinquefield and play classical then rapid then blitz
True. And I can't even add up properly given the time to do so. Where I said $12,500, it should say $7,500. Etc.

EDIT: And having read some other reports and seen Nakamura's demeanour during the game and when he resigned, it looks like he would happily give up all his prize money to avoid losing games in such an agonising fashion, and to start to reverse the 'hold' that Carlsen seems to hold over him (if Nakamura thought he had started to equalise the 'psychological battle', this result says otherwise).

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm

https://grandchesstour.org/2018-grand-chess-tour
In total the Grand Chess Tour boasts an impressive $1.05 million prize fund, awarded as follows:

Your Next Move: $150,000
Paris GCT: $150,000
Saint Louis Rapid & Blitz: $150,000
Sinquefield Cup: $300,000
GCT Finals (London): $300,000

Total GCT Prizes: $1,050,000
Oh, I misunderstood what the prize fund thing is about. The amounts given as 'prize money' next to each player after each event in the Grand Chess Tour is the cumulative amount they have won so far. There isn't a separate prize fund for where you finish overall in the GCT standings after the three rapid/blitz and one classical event. Oops. I'll go back and retract a lot of what I wrote... :oops:

(e.g. Nakamura won $15,000 + $37,500 + $37,500 + $15,000 = $105,000, and so on).

https://grandchesstour.org/2018-grand-c ... -next-move
https://grandchesstour.org/2018-grand-c ... -paris-gct
https://grandchesstour.org/2018-grand-c ... apid-blitz
https://grandchesstour.org/2018-grand-c ... efield-cup

When you see the results of all four events together, it is much clearer.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:02 pm

The play-off is underway.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:08 pm

An uneventful draw in game 1 followed by a win for Caruana to clinch the final place in London, should he decide to accept.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:08 pm
An uneventful draw in game 1 followed by a win for Caruana to clinch the final place in London, should he decide to accept.
He's certainly playing lots of chess (if he does the IoM following the Olympiad, then the WC match)

Chess Mind analysis of the play off

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:07 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 pm
Please suggest weightings for possible reasons why the 2018 event has seen so many draws
I thought this was an interesting post that got lost in events. As Tim notes, partly just bad luck. But I would give quite a high weighting to the absence of Topalov.

I see it as a bit more systemic than just being about Topalov himself. The GCT system is to invite players primarily based on ratings. They do not have the advantage of say Wijk in selecting a field likely to interact interestingly. So the loss of Topalov and the change in Nakamura's approach hits Sinquefield quite hard.

A secondary problem is that, since ratings change relatively slowly, the GCT now has a group of players who have played a lot of chess with each other. Familiarity in itself likely to flatten results, as is knowing +2 is a great result. But it also has a tendency to narrow the openings being played. As Jacob Aagard observed, if you spend 50 hours failing to find an advantage in a opening with white you start to think about trying it with black, if only not to waste the work. Several very solid Queen's Gambits this year.

Of course it is a private tournament, and I understand their aim is not to produce the kind of tournament that someone like me would prefer. They are trying to interest casual viewers and plausibly believe the strongest possible field is therefore necessary. But still, I think their problem with with classical chess likely to get worse. Maybe they will end up as a rapidplay tour. It would make more sense to me.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Also this year, the strong possibility both Magnus and Fabio are "hiding preparation" for their forthcoming match plausibly didn't help things.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:57 pm
Also this year, the strong possibility both Magnus and Fabio are "hiding preparation" for their forthcoming match plausibly didn't help things.
Interesting comments in the detailed report from Jonathan Tisdall