London Chess Classic Grand Chess Tour Finals

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Sedgwick

London Chess Classic Grand Chess Tour Finals

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:43 pm

The details of the London Chess Classic Grand Chess Tour Finals have just been announced during the commentary on Round 7 of the Sinquefield Cup.

See https://grandchesstour.org/2018-grand-c ... ss-classic.

(I suggest that we keep this thread for the Tour Finals and that we continue to discuss the London Chess Classic Festival at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9796.)

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: London Chess Classic Grand Chess Tour Finals

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:39 am

I'm wondering what the permutations are for who qualifies for the Finals? With two rounds left of the Sinquefield Cup and things very tight at the top (Caruana half a point ahead of a group of four and two others a point further back), are the possible qualification scenarios any clearer? Should this be discussed here or over in the Sinquefield Cup thread?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:00 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:39 am
I'm wondering what the permutations are for who qualifies for the Finals? With two rounds left of the Sinquefield Cup and things very tight at the top (Caruana half a point ahead of a group of four and two others a point further back), are the possible qualification scenarios any clearer? Should this be discussed here or over in the Sinquefield Cup thread?
In the latter, in my (not so) humble opinion.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:24 pm

I've done that now. On the GCT Finals, it looks like it could be an interesting event, though I am not sure how it will turn out in terms of spectators. I am already wondering whether to go to the WCC in November or the GCT Finals, and thinking more of the former. It will probably come down to ticket pricing and which dates I can go. Usually, I'd go to both, but not sure this year. Might even depend on who is in the final, though that won't be known until after the semis. The invitation-only event at Google HQ in London (the semis) is a different format. I am trying to think of similar event formats used in the past.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:39 am

Semis are Naka v Caruana and Aronian v MVL
Any postings on here represent my personal views