Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

The very latest International round up of English news.
Brian Towers

Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Pein and Short have said some very rude things about each other during the campaign. Will they be able to, if not kiss and make up, at least shake hands and put it behind them? Will their supporters also manage this? There do appear to still be hard feelings at least on one side. Surely best for English chess to leave the past in the past.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

JustinHorton

Re: Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:33 pm

There's been a damned sight too much trying to leave the past in the past in English chess.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:35 pm

In practical terms it would be a very good thing if the feuding were to continue unabated, as the major reason we find out what these people get up to is that their rivals at court tell us about it.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Is there any chance of Twitter posts being reproduced rather than linked to? I don't use Twitter and every time I click on one of these links, I am prompted by my security set-up to change something or other, and I'd rather not do that.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:46 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:42 pm
Is there any chance of Twitter posts being reproduced rather than linked to? I don't use Twitter and every time I click on one of these links, I am prompted by my security set-up to change something or other, and I'd rather not do that.
Tim Wall on Twitter wrote:Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Short. Today @nigelshortchess became the Kim Philby of chess. @FIDE_chess @BatumiChess2018
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:42 pm
Is there any chance of Twitter posts being reproduced rather than linked to?
This is by one of the candidates for Home Director
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Short. Today @nigelshortchess became the Kim Philby of chess. @FIDE_chess @BatumiChess2018
That's going to be good for enticing Nigel to make one of his rare British Championship appearances.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Well there is always mud-slinging but this rather childish style of debate doesn't endear anybody to me for any post at all. It may be necessary to hold one's nose and vote for the least immature option. But it's increasingly easy to understand why none of the above can seem a more principled choice.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 pm

That is a quite disgraceful comment from Tim Wall. He deserves both barrels - though I wonder if he's drunk them before posting. Whatever the merits or otherwise of the various parties in the election, we surely do not need this level of comment. Would Tim Wall welcome a few comments on his relationship with Malcolm Pein?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:08 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 pm
That is a quite disgraceful comment from Tim Wall. He deserves both barrels - though I wonder if he's drunk them before posting. Whatever the merits or otherwise of the various parties in the election, we surely do not need this level of comment. Would Tim Wall welcome a few comments on his relationship with Malcolm Pein?
Entirely agree - totally inappropriate. More mud-slinging we can do without.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:21 pm

I would have thought Tim's comment was entirely within the spirit not just of this particular campaign but of past campaigns and FIDE politics generally. Take it as an hommage.
David Robertson wrote:
That is a quite disgraceful comment from Tim Wall. He deserves both barrels - though I wonder if he's drunk them before posting.
It's not obvious to me that suggesting somebody posted when drunk is a general improvement on the level of discourse.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:21 pm
I would have thought Tim's comment was entirely within the spirit not just of this particular campaign but of past campaigns and FIDE politics generally. Take it as an hommage.
David Robertson wrote:
That is a quite disgraceful comment from Tim Wall. He deserves both barrels - though I wonder if he's drunk them before posting.
It's not obvious to me that suggesting somebody posted when drunk is a general improvement on the level of discourse.
Even those who dislike Nigel should realise that to equate him to one of Britain's most notorious traitors is in very poor taste.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Maybe it was intended as a simple joke?

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:51 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:35 pm
In practical terms it would be a very good thing if the feuding were to continue unabated
Yes, I don't doubt you believe this. Where else would you find easy copy for your relentlessly sententious blogging

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 pm

I haven’t posted on this thread before, but I suspect that I hold the views of most of the people in British Chess, perhaps world chess. We’d like to see Malcolm Pein as the President of FIDE - he is simply the best candidate. That wasn’t on offer, the choice was between a powerful state backed candiadate who had organised the Football World Cup and a candidate mired in the bureaucracy of FIDE. The right person won; Nigel backed the right horse and Malcom didn’t. I hope that FIDE can move forward and that Nigel and Malcolm will be part of that. This is a good result for chess; We have a FIDE president who organised the Football World Cup, not just any World Cup, but a really, really, good World Cup. Just reflect on that for a moment and be positive for the future.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:03 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm
Even those who dislike Nigel should realise that to equate him to one of Britain's most notorious traitors is in very poor taste.
No doubt, Roger, but it is a bit late in the day for us to declare that "taste" is of decisive importance, whether we think in terms of this campaign, or Nigel's career.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com