Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:41 pm
Those rushing to criticise Malcolm Pein in the wake of the FIDE elections seem to have forgotten his unparalleled track record in bringing sponsorship and investment into English chess.
How much sponsorship for the national teams has been received in 2017 and 2018?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:25 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:22 pm
can you comment on the suggestion that Zurab is a thug and a bully or is he a re-formed character?
I've always found Zurab to be open and honest with a sense of humour. He gets on with people and is doing a good job. He has attracted many dynamic people to support the ECU which is growing rapidly. Notice how many major chess events take place in Georgia.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:36 am

Thank you. Are you now willing to comment on the merits of the Makro ticket please. I'm really trying to understand whether in your opinion the ECF backed somebody who was the better of two bad options or whether that ticket comprised morally and ethically upright citizens of a completely different standing to the winning ticket. You've broken your political neutrality to confirm you are happy with Zurab, perhaps you could do the same or not with regard to FIDE.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:17 pm

John Foley wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:25 am
He gets on with people
Canadian GMs and Spanish security guards excepted.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:03 pm

And indeed anybody unhappy with the use of the word 'gypsy" as an insult.
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
When he was first nominated as President there were some questions about his political views
Also his views on women, not that that's ever been an impediment where English chess is concerned.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm

To link "Fallout from FIDE Elections" to the suitability of the ECF president seems to me something of a stretch. It's in the nature of things that some people are never happy with the status quo, no matter what that might be, but I think the quality of the present ECF Board compares favourably with that of many within recent living memory. That's not to say I agree with everything, and I think they were unwise to stray into politics when opting for a bad Greek over a better Russian, but then it's extremely rare to find oneself in 100% agreement in all matters with another person or organisation

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:36 pm

I think the linkage is almost inevitable consequence of the way internet discussions diverge from the initial topic. Very few people are seeking to argue that Dominic Lawson's views automatically disqualify him from holding office, but there is a sense that one should be fully cognisant of those views in determining that suitability. There are many examples of organisations deciding celebrity patrons or supporters are unsuitable because of their views. It becomes a test of where the redlines are, and whether the views have a direct bearing on the post concerned. I suspect that although some would like to have a Supreme Court style vetting of anybody seeking to volunteer, most would accept that some character flaws or dubious views are not relevant, or can be forgiven.

There are those who seem to think that the outputs of individuals outweigh or give reason to disregard the methods. 'ECU is growing' or 'there is more sponsorship or events'. This seems to be a somewhat skewed moral compass.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Those rushing to criticise Malcolm Pein in the wake of the FIDE elections seem to have forgotten his unparalleled track record in bringing sponsorship and investment into English chess.
How much sponsorship for the national teams has been received in 2017 and 2018?
Is it nil for 2018 or am I reading the figure wrong?

Malcolm's election statement 2015 is here for reference
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Nigel being interviewed by ChessBase India. During the interview, which contained a lot of detail, he continually makes the point that he is not in charge, for example the Indian reporter wanted to know why Sundar was appointed and Nigel basically said it was nothing to do with him. He intends to be active in his role. He talks about his election strategy in depth and how he didn't want to take the chance that there would be a second ballot and somehow Makro might get elected. He really is impressed with Dvorkovich's organisational and admin ability. He will play Isle of Man next but may have to cut down on the amount of time playing chess given his new role.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm
for example the Indian reporter wanted to know why Sundar was appointed and Nigel basically said it was nothing to do with him.
Sundar can look after himself.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 am

Posted up on the web site of the Wolverhampton & District Chess League we have the views of David Short, Nigel's father on the election. Two paragraphs of it show that the ECF decision, not to support him, was taken badly by Nigel:

"Nigel’s father, the secretary of Lichfield chess Club, said throughout Nigel’s career he had been asked many times if he was proud of his son’s achievements. “I have always said yes of course,
but I have never been prouder than of the stance he has taken against corruption. Shame on the English Chess Federation”
Nigel said he had found it upsetting that the ECF had unanimously declared its support for Makropolous and his running mate Malcolm Pein, who is a leading figure in British chess, organising the London Chess Classic, Chess for Schools and writing for the Daily Telegraph."
Last edited by Chris Rice on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:28 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:59 pm
Is it nil for 2018 or am I reading the figure wrong?

Malcolm's election statement 2015 is here for reference.
Evidently this should have been filed next to Kirsan's promise of $20m.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 am
"I have never been prouder than of the stance he has taken against corruption. Shame on the English Chess Federation”
Maybe Short père should acquaint himself with the record of the government in which Dvorkovich served when it comes to corruption.
Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm
He will play Isle of Man next
It'll be a new era in which chess is no longer organised by fugitives from US justice
Last edited by JustinHorton on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:20 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 am
"Nigel’s father, the secretary of Lichfield chess Club, said throughout Nigel’s career he had been asked many times if he was proud of his son’s achievements. “I have always said yes of course,
Off topic, apparently when she is on a cruise my gregarious Mancunian mother tells strangers I am a chess player. I hope David enjoyed telling her his son is also a chess player as much as I was embarrassed when my mum told me she had met the father of a chess player and asked if I knew Nigel Short...

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 am
Maybe Short père should acquaint himself with the record of the government in which Dvorkovich served when it comes to corruption.
It can probably be assumed that we're all aware of the less savoury aspects of the Putin regime and, for anyone living in Wiltshire, corruption won't be the only issue on their minds. Yes, I accept that was a decent argument for voting against Dvorkovich and - to be fair - the FIDE regime under Kirsan and Makro may have been corrupt but at least it doesn't appear to have attempted to assassinate Nigel.

Having said that, Dvorkovich was chair of the local organising committee for the recent FIFA World Cup which was judged, despite many predictions to the contrary, a resounding success and refreshingly politics-free. At a personal level, that track record compares very favourably with Makro. On that basis, I would have given a (slightly reluctant) nod to Dvorkovich - although, of course, only hindsight will tell if that was a correct call.