Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: Repercussions / Fallout from FIDE Elections?

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 am
There's an account by Shaun Press about the campaign.

http://chessexpress.blogspot.com/2018/1 ... ction.html

In 2014 there had been a dispute about who was the PNG delegate and it was referred to the electoral commission who came up with the verdict that the Kirsan/Makro supporting individual was the delegate.
I can't disagree with anything Shaun says, which is unsurprising given that we were in close contact throughout the event.

Regarding the work of the Electoral Commission, 2018 was a rerun of 2014 in the sense that three of the five members were appointed by Makro allies, so the outcomes were preordained. The difference this time around was that the Chairman was surprisingly forthright in his opinion that in at least one case ( Haiti ) his Commission's decision was entirely wrong and would not have survived a trip to CAS.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

shaunpress

Post by shaunpress » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:44 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:00 pm
Heh, Shaun reads my posts :) Not the first time I've been 'quoted' during the campaign either
David Robertson wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:57 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:27 pm
no booth for Nigel
Insurgents don't do 'booths'. I thought everyone knew that
Indeed, you were the source for quote, although I sinned by not giving you credit in the post.

When describing one of my Olympiad games to a regular poster to this forum I said "I started off well, but collapsed at the end". He replied "Just like the Makro campaign". I leave it to the author to claim the credit himself.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 pm

shaunpress wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:44 pm
you were the source for quote, although I sinned by not giving you credit in the post
That's just fine. No one in here gives me credit for very much anyway :)

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:36 am
You've broken your political neutrality to confirm you are happy with Zurab
He was the only candidate for ECU President and was voted in almost unanimously.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Well you could have abstained...

Sorry I realise you didn't have a vote. But you continue to decline to offer comment on the merits of the Makro ticket, even though you were prepared to criticise the successful ticket for alleged inducements, so your claim of neutrality or being unable to express a view doesn't wash. A pity as I'm sure you have something worthwhile to say. Instead I'm left with the view that you are simply not a reliable or credible witness.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:15 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 pm
I'm left with the view that you are simply not a reliable or credible witness.
Troll Warning
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm

John, I am not a troll. Please withdraw that remark. It is you who expresses views on this forum, but doesn't accept questions in return or selectively answers. This has been noted by others at other times. If you had replied to my question then I would not have repeated it. A forum is a general discussion, it is not yours to control.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 pm

The Russian Federation site features a Press Conference by Dvorkovich. The following paragraph kind of hits you in the face:

"I am glad that the President of Russia Vladimir Putin met our national chess teams before the Olympiad. This is a very good signal for other countries. Our teams were inspired by that meeting. Unfortunately, not everything worked in chess games, but it helped set a very positive atmosphere nonetheless," noted Arkady Dvorkovich. "The Russian Chess Federation headed by Andrey Filatov is making a great job in promoting chess in the country and there are quite certain plans for the future. Some time later, FIDE will sign an agreement with the RCF as well as with other federations affiliated to FIDE".

Any idea on what this agreement might be?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 pm
Any idea on what this agreement might be?
In my case, none whatsoever.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:29 pm

"At the moment, we are working on fulfilling promises given before the elections" - A Dvorkovich, at above-mentioned Press conference.

Well, call me cynical if you like but it's good to know those promises weren't immediately forgotten following a successful election.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am

On the ECF site...an awkward moment for the ECF.

"In our last eNewsletter, we omitted to mention in our report on the FIDE Presidential election that Nigel Short has been elected as a FIDE Vice-President. Our congratulations to Nigel, as well as our apologies to him for the oversight."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:28 am

ECF website (reported by Chris Rice ) wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am
"In our last eNewsletter, we omitted to mention in our report on the FIDE Presidential election that Nigel Short has been elected as a FIDE Vice-President.
That's still slightly wrong, as wasn't he appointed by the new President rather than being elected?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:51 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:28 am
"In our last eNewsletter, we omitted to mention in our report on the FIDE Presidential election that Nigel Short has been elected as a FIDE Vice-President.
That's still slightly wrong, as wasn't he appointed by the new President rather than being elected?
Indeed he was appointed. I'm sure the ECF missing this is their newsletter was an oversight brought to their attention by Nigel's tweet and presumably in the rush to correct it the error occurred. Nigel also just discovered some of Makro's electioneering stuff and wasn't best pleased.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:28 am
Yes
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:03 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 am
"I have never been prouder than of the stance he has taken against corruption. Shame on the English Chess Federation”
Maybe Short père should acquaint himself with the record of the government in which Dvorkovich served when it comes to corruption
Some further thorts on this, prompted also by rediscovering Nigel's remarkable tweet castigating Malcolm for being too close to the Kremlin, shortly before doing precisely that himself.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com