Altibox Norway 2019 - the future of chess?

The very latest International round up of English news.
John McKenna

Re: Altibox Norway 2019 - the future of chess?

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:33 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:53 pm
John McKenna wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 am
How ironic would it be if FIDE agreed to rate games played at the above-mentioned time controls for all players and thereby finally allow "slow-play" ECF graded games to be FIDE rated.
Not sure Alanis Morrissette would be too troubled by the irony.

But watch this space - there has been increasing demand from various people to change the 4-hour rule. It won't be done in time for 1st July, 2020; but perhaps 1st July, 2021. There's rather a lot of consultation before then.

Alex, thank you, I've a strong sense of irony and look forward to the.bumps in the ECF grading and FIDE rating systems being ironed out and the two being stitched together in due course.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:45 am

David Robertson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:31 pm
Caution Tournament-related comment

Mild-mannered, softly-spoken Anand hits out at Armageddon arrangements
I'd have thought that 1 tournament wasn't a statistically significant sample to reach a conclusion, but the idea doesn't seem to be off to a good start

Trying to ignore my personal dislike of it, maybe have the players play the armageddon first, or just have the armageddons as a separate part which scores less than the classical; maybe have classical scoring 3-1-0?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:36 am

If this may not be the future of chess, competition from the World Chess Armageddon going on in Moscow doesn't look too stiff. They have assembled an excellent, and presumably expensive, bunch of players but nobody seems very interested. The format is complicated and I haven't taken the trouble to work through it.

I did look at the website to check who was in the lead, but they evidently feel that sort of information would spoil the purity of the page.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:03 pm

As it was Carlsen *didn't* win his Armageddon game yesterday, but only because it wasn't needed......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:01 pm

Caruana - Carlsen truly beyond belief.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:40 pm

The classical game, I presume you mean? Yes, it was eventful.

But of course, after that Carlsen suffered his only defeat of the event in the final game.

He won't like that ;)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)