44th Guernsey International Chess Festival

The very latest International round up of English news.
David Sedgwick

Re: 44th Guernsey International Chess Festival

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:46 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:03 pm
It is good to see the Legends of Surrey Chess going so well.
Sedgwick 0-1 Rosen, so one legend in that pairing is no longer doing so well.

The other features on Board 1 in the last round: Rosen v Hillarp-Persson.

Would our intrepid band of followers please note that play starts at 0930 tomorrow.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:35 am

The Legends will need a big breakfast for their last round.
Back in the Fred Winter Kingston - we have the delights of Shepherd - Bates on board 1.

In the Major Board 1 is the clash of the joint U160 Surrey County Captains - Grey v Alcock.
A 10am start & extra coffee.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I probably shouldn't admit this but, despite currently sitting in a room in which a vast number of the best chess players in the world are currently in action, on my computer I'm following progress at Guernsey as Jean-Pierre Le Roux attempts to beat Nigel Povah in order to share first place with Tiger Hillarp Persson. Well, I enjoy a good endgame and it's just opening moves here at the moment.

Anyway, I'm looking at the following...

But I haven't seen a new move for some time. I've got an engine running and it reckons Nigel might be saving after 53...f5 although everything else seems to lose (and White had winning moves a couple of moves back).

Any comment from those at Guernsey?
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm informed that Nigel lost, but results aren't published here either. There were other endings to enjoy!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:40 pm
I'm informed that Nigel lost, but results aren't published here either.
The results have now been published online.

http://chess-results.com/tnr347554.aspx?lan=1&art=4

http://chess-results.com/tnr347555.aspx?lan=1&art=4

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 pm

It occurs to me that the players who tied 5th on 4.5 (except Jan Havenaar of NL) would have qualified for the British Championship under the old rules.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 pm
It occurs to me that the players who tied 5th on 4.5 (except Jan Havenaar of NL) would have qualified for the British Championship under the old rules.

David Sedgwick (in questions to the then candidates for election as ECF Director of Home Chess) wrote: … it would be helpful if seven round events had a BCQ place ...
I would not expect any such change to be retrospective.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:02 pm

"I would not expect any such change to be retrospective."

Neither would I - several players were outraged that players at the lower end of ratings in the last British were not eligible for rating prizes. I wasn't really bothered - it's just one more reason to play somewhere else.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:51 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:05 pm

David Sedgwick (in questions to the then candidates for election as ECF Director of Home Chess) wrote: … it would be helpful if seven round events had a BCQ place ...
I would not expect any such change to be retrospective.
When we held the meeting that introduced the regulations, Guernsey's representative was asked specifically about the status of the Guernsey event. He was perfectly satisfied that it should go into the new Grand Prix. He saw the bigger picture of what the regulation changes were trying to achieve, much to his credit.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 pm

David Sedgwick (in another thread) wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:03 am
Regarding my allegedly disrepectful reference to some "damaging consequences" of the new British Championship Qualifying Regulations, I was asked two years ago to submit constructive amendments to the Regulations. I did so and was ignored (not by Alex).
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm
When we held the meeting that introduced the regulations, Guernsey's representative was asked specifically about the status of the Guernsey event. He was perfectly satisfied that it should go into the new Grand Prix. He saw the bigger picture of what the regulation changes were trying to achieve, much to his credit.
It just goes to show that people are more likely to be supportive if you treat them with courtesy.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Any reasons why other congresses cannot got into British Championship Qualifying regulations = or is that one for the new home director and congress organisers.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:20 am

"When we held the meeting that introduced the regulations, Guernsey's representative was asked specifically about the status of the Guernsey event. He was perfectly satisfied that it should go into the new Grand Prix. He saw the bigger picture of what the regulation changes were trying to achieve, much to his credit."

Maybe the Guernsey representative was not concerned about another Federation's championship? The Guernsey club champion qualifies for the British Championship, but I doubt anyone has taken up the place for many years.

Did the Guernsey tournament go into the new Grand Prix? I don't recall seeing the results included.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 am

The Guernsey Organisers have opted out of submitting results for ECF grading, but I have been processing members elected submissions to Games Played Abroad this morning. In this situation it was not included in the ECF Grand Prix.

As an open FIDE rated competition from one of the British Isles Federations it qualifies in the British Championship Qualifying Grand Prix and was included last year.

Brian Valentine
Manager ECF Grading

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks Brian

Edit
"The Guernsey Organisers have opted out of submitting results for ECF grading"

BCF/ECF used to grade the tournament free, but one year sent a Game Fee bill, which Guernsey politely declined to pay. BCF/ECF said "We won't grade your games then!"
Guernsey said "OK".

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:26 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 am
Thanks Brian

Edit
"The Guernsey Organisers have opted out of submitting results for ECF grading"

BCF/ECF used to grade the tournament free, but one year sent a Game Fee bill, which Guernsey politely declined to pay. BCF/ECF said "We won't grade your games then!"
Guernsey said "OK".
That's not quite right.

Guernsey and the ECF had an arrangement wherby Guernsey would pay the Game Fee for English players who were not Gold or Silver members as appropriate.

Then the ECF personnel changed and the new officers insisted that Game Fee be paid for ALL players who were not Gold or Silver ECF members, including the large Dutch contingent.

Guernsey declined to continue with ECF grading on this basis.