Chess and sexual harassment

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Roger de Coverly

Re: 44th Olympiad, Chennai 28 July to 10 August 2022

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:32 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:15 am
The English Bridge Union seem to have a law and ethics officer, but as stated there doesn’t seem to be a point of contact at the ECF that is obvious.

The ECF had a code of ethics for a while. The problem was that it rapidly became a vehicle for squabbles between directors.

Wouldn't the EBU post be more about handling cheating allegations?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:44 am

Thomas Rendle wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:55 am
I think there needs to be a system in place where people feel comfortable coming forward. There's a reason there hasn't been a 'me too' moment in both English and International chess, it's not for the lack of cases (without commenting on specific allegations). What is the current procedure for reporting harrassment (sexual or otherwise) at a chess event in England? Ideally it wouldn't be done via this forum, which to be honest I try not to post on these days.
I was directed to [email protected] when I asked for some advice just under twelve months ago.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:45 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:44 am
Thomas Rendle wrote:
I think there needs to be a system in place where people feel comfortable coming forward. There's a reason there hasn't been a 'me too' moment in both English and International chess, it's not for the lack of cases (without commenting on specific allegations). What is the current procedure for reporting harrassment (sexual or otherwise) at a chess event in England? Ideally it wouldn't be done via this forum, which to be honest I try not to post on these days.
I was directed to [email protected] when I asked for some advice just under twelve months ago.
Thanks, that's useful to know.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:32 pm

As to how credible she was when she appeared before the ECF Council, then, to quote a well known statement, recollections may vary. Obviously that was in a totally different context.
David - you do understand how these sort of general comments about Amanda Ross can be taken as an attack on her credibility in respect of the specific allegations don't you?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:14 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
As to how credible she was when she appeared before the ECF Council, then, to quote a well known statement, recollections may vary. Obviously that was in a totally different context.
J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 am
David - you do understand how these sort of general comments about Amanda Ross can be taken as an attack on her credibility in respect of the specific allegations don't you?
David Sedgwick (upthread) wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:42 am
If someone comes forward with a complaint that they have been told by A, B and C that they have been sexually abused or harassed by X, then I tend to be more cautious.

I wish to make it clear that I am not alleging deliberately dishonesty or lying by anyone mentioned in this thread, whether by name or otherwise. It would indeed be hypocritical for me to do that.
I have chosen my remarks with what I hope is an appropriate degree of care. I don't wish to change or add anything.

Edit: For clarity, the emboldening above was not made in my original post.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:19 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
"And that is why I thought it pertinent to discuss it."
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:40 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:44 am
Thomas Rendle wrote:
Thanks, that's a better idea than mine upthread about the NEDs

I hope you found the advice useful
Any postings on here represent my personal views