Introduction to the Women's Chess forum

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
LozCooper

Introduction to the Women's Chess forum

Post by LozCooper » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi all,

I've asked Carl to create this new forum as although postings are made from time to time on womens chess they become somewhat scattered and I thought it was worthwhile having a location where everyone can easily post and reply.

As Director of International Chess I am responsible for the International side of Women's Chess in England. The domestic side of Women's Chess will be covered once an appointment is made by the federation.

Whilst I will be posting regularly to the forum I'd also welcome posts from everyone else and will seek to answer any questions that arise.

Lawrence Cooper
Director of International Chess
English Chess Federation

benedgell

Re: Introduction to the Women's Chess forum

Post by benedgell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:37 pm

It says on the e2e4 site http://www.e2e4.org.uk/international/20 ... /index.htm that there's a Women's all-play all section at the Uxbridge International in Feb (13th-17th). Is it the intention to run it in the same way as the one at London i.e. with some of our top females and some from abroad? Any other information you can tell us about this at the moment?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:50 pm

benedgell wrote:It says on the e2e4 site http://www.e2e4.org.uk/international/20 ... /index.htm that there's a Women's all-play all section at the Uxbridge International in Feb (13th-17th). Is it the intention to run it in the same way as the one at London i.e. with some of our top females and some from abroad? Any other information you can tell us about this at the moment?
It'll include some women from countries other than England - it's intended as a WIM norm tournament, so will require at least three nationalities playing.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:06 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
benedgell wrote:It says on the e2e4 site http://www.e2e4.org.uk/international/20 ... /index.htm that there's a Women's all-play all section at the Uxbridge International in Feb (13th-17th). Is it the intention to run it in the same way as the one at London i.e. with some of our top females and some from abroad? Any other information you can tell us about this at the moment?
It'll include some women from countries other than England - it's intended as a WIM norm tournament, so will require at least three nationalities playing.
That information is out of date. The original intention was to run a WIM norm event but it is actually now going to be a 10 player all-play-all without norms. This reduces the considerable expence of hiring WGMs and WIMs and allows me to give more of the younger girls a chance without worrying about rating averages etc It will be predominently English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh girls and I'm viewing it as a preliminery event to give me and the players an idea of who may be ready to play in the next WIM event. I've only just started work on the invitations (very late for me I know) and so more information will appear on the site in the new year.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 am

Apologies from me on the out of date information. I only got the new info at the weekend and the day job has prevented me from updating the website. However, I promise that this will get done tomorrow.

As Loz says, the Women's Invitational will now not be a norm seeking event, although of course any female player seeking a WIM/WGM norm can still play in the Masters.