Nicosia FIDE Women's Grand Prix

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
NickFaulks

Re: Nicosia FIDE Women's Grand Prix

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 27, 2023 9:39 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:23 am
The exclusion of the Ukrainians means I have not followed this event as I normally would.
Sorry, I missed this. Why were they not allowed to play?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:39 am
Paul Cooksey wrote:
The exclusion of the Ukrainians means I have not followed this event as I normally would.
You seem generally well informed about FIDE events.
Before asking the question above, we should ask why at the last minute the event was moved from Poland to Cyprus.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 am
That might usually be true, but recently I have been besieged by other matters and have not paid attention.
Before asking the question above, we should ask why at the last minute the event was moved from Poland to Cyprus.
I'll take the bait and ask that question. I take it that you know the answer.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat May 27, 2023 10:21 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 am
Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:49 am
That might usually be true, but recently I have been besieged by other matters and have not paid attention.
I'll take the bait and ask that question. I take it that you know the answer.
Given the total lack of any explanation from FIDE, we can only develop our assumptions and conspiracy theories. Or listen to people like Peter Heine Nielsen that seem to make reasonable assumptions.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 27, 2023 10:24 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 am
I'll take the bait and ask that question.
I have now wasted a bit of time hunting through all the usual sources, but have come up empty. The Polish event originally announced just seems to have disappeared without leaving a trace.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 27, 2023 10:35 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:21 am
Or listen to people like Peter Heine Nielsen that seem to make reasonable assumptions.
What's his theory?

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat May 27, 2023 10:45 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:35 am
Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:21 am
Or listen to people like Peter Heine Nielsen that seem to make reasonable assumptions.
What's his theory?
According to PHN: “Originally the event was planned for Poland, but as they do not allow participation of Russian athletes, it was moved to Cyprus, in effect meaning Russian player could still play, and Ukrainians would have to withdraw.”

https://twitter.com/PHChess/status/1662 ... fY_JAuAAAA
Last edited by Paolo Casaschi on Sat May 27, 2023 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat May 27, 2023 10:49 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:24 am
I have now wasted a bit of time…
Looking at the timestamps on the forum, it seems you spent at most a total time of 24 minutes. I wonder if you really searched or did you already know nothing was to be found???

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat May 27, 2023 11:18 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:49 am
Looking at the timestamps on the forum, it seems you spent at most a total time of 24 minutes. I wonder if you really searched or did you already know nothing was to be found???
I never understand the purpose of these personal slurs. I was completely new to this issue so googled a few key phrases and searched chessbase, lichess etc. I was surprised to find nothing ( Chessbase can normally be relied upon for some comment even if it is not well researched ) and thought you might save me some time.

Are you ( or PHN ) saying that Ukrainians are now refusing to compete against Russian women playing under the FIDE flag? I thought they were not doing that.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 27, 2023 2:52 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 9:39 am
Paul Cooksey wrote:
It's an instruction from Ukraine. Both Lagno & Shuvalova are Russian on the FIDE rating site although I see that Goryachkina now shows as FIDE. There are probably better links but this was the first one I found:
https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine ... larusians/

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 27, 2023 3:39 pm

Round 11 | Nicosia | 27.05.2023

Lagno, Kateryna — Assaubayeva, Bibisara ½ — ½
Shuvalova, Polina — Kiolbasa, Oliwia 1 — 0
Mammadzada, Gunay — Kosteniuk, Alexandra ½ — ½
Tan, Zhongyi — Dzagnidze, Nana ½ — ½
Khotenashvili, Bella — Wagner, Dinara 0 — 1
Goryachkina, Aleksandra — Dronavalli, Harika ½ — ½

Dinara Wagner wins the tournament (despite being the lowest rated) and makes her first grandmaster norm.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sat May 27, 2023 4:07 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:18 am
Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:49 am
I never understand the purpose of these personal slurs. I was completely new to this issue so googled a few key phrases and searched chessbase, lichess etc. I was surprised to find nothing ( Chessbase can normally be relied upon for some comment even if it is not well researched ) and thought you might save me some time.

Are you ( or PHN ) saying that Ukrainians are now refusing to compete against Russian women playing under the FIDE flag? I thought they were not doing that.
I'm saying that FIDE mismanaged the situation and the lack of communication makes FIDE look even worse. Thus the understandable comment from another forum member that all this resulted in a lack of interest for the event.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue May 30, 2023 9:46 am

FIDE report with photos
Regarding the overall scores of the full Grand Prix, the winner is GM Kateryna Lagno, followed closely by GM Aleksandra Goryachkina. Both of these players qualify for the 2024 Women’s Candidates Tournament
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 30, 2023 12:03 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:46 am
FIDE report with photos
Regarding the overall scores of the full Grand Prix, the winner is GM Kateryna Lagno, followed closely by GM Aleksandra Goryachkina. Both of these players qualify for the 2024 Women’s Candidates Tournament
The remaining candidates qualifying routes: https://worldchampionshipcycle.fide.com ... 2023-2025/ so the July match runner-up, three from the world cup and two from the Grand Swiss.