e2e4 Uxbridge Autumn Women's International August 11-15

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
David Sedgwick

Re: e2e4 Uxbridge Autumn Women's International August 11-15

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:06 pm

LozCooper wrote:I suppose it's asking too much for people to be pleased that a 13 year old girl has had a successful tournament and scored 5.5/9 despite being the lowest rated player in the tournament. Given that she missed out on the one qualifying place for the European and World Youth I'm especially pleased that she performed so well and justified her invitation.
Jack was pleased, wasn't he? So am I.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Amy's performance stood out at Uxbridge. It was by far the most impressive at the event and follows on from some other very nice results. It is great that she had such an opportunity at Uxbridge and I'm sure that she will develop even further from the experience.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:24 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
LozCooper wrote:I suppose it's asking too much for people to be pleased that a 13 year old girl has had a successful tournament and scored 5.5/9 despite being the lowest rated player in the tournament. Given that she missed out on the one qualifying place for the European and World Youth I'm especially pleased that she performed so well and justified her invitation.
Jack was pleased, wasn't he? So am I.
Even if you didn't recognise her name or age (as I didn't) the tournament cross-table makes clear that she performed way above her rating. Rating is 1904, but the TPR is 2130. Excellent result.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Congratulations to Amy, who, along with many other promising juniors, often plays in the Richmond Rapidplays.

It's interesting to note that in the British, Lateefah scored 4½ in the Championship and Amy scored 4½ in the Major Open. At Uxbridge Amy scored 5½ and Lateefah 2½ in the same event. Perhaps this says something about the length of the tail in the British this year.

Congratulations also to Graeme and Peter P for their excellent results in Masters A, to Susan for winning the Women's International, and to Peter L for coming 2nd in the Major G section - almost an impressive family hat-trick.

Congratulations and thanks to Sean and Loz as well for another successful tournament.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:06 am

Anyone know what the women norm requirements were in this tournament?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:58 am

"Anyone know what the women norm requirements were in this tournament?"

I expect Sean does...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:00 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Anyone know what the women norm requirements were in this tournament?
All norm seekers in Womens C required 7/9 for a WIM norm.

Rasa Norinkeviciute in the Masters required 4/9 for her WIM norm.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:10 am

Richard James wrote:It's interesting to note that in the British, Lateefah scored 4½ in the Championship and Amy scored 4½ in the Major Open. At Uxbridge Amy scored 5½ and Lateefah 2½ in the same event. Perhaps this says something about the length of the tail in the British this year.
They each have a FIDE Rating of 1904.

At the British, Lateefa's Tournament Performance Rating was 2082 and Amy's was 1835. At Uxbridge, Lateefa's was 1884 and Amy's was 2130.

To me, that suggests the simple explanation. At the British, Lateefah played better than Amy, or at least achieved better results. At Uxbridge, it was the other way round.