Chess for Girls

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Jon D'Souza-Eva

Chess for Girls

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmYCvEkN6V4

I still get some of this sort of thing from my eight year old daughter when I'm trying to coach her - the captured pieces will be paired up so that they can marry and sometimes a favoured small toy will take the place of her king. If her chess set had knights with real, brushable manes she'd be playing with it every waking hour.

Richard James

Re: Chess for Girls

Post by Richard James » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:23 pm

I've seen girls who bury their queen in the corner surrounded by all the other pieces. When I ask them why they tell me that the queen's the mummy and the other pieces are her little babies. She has to stay at home to look after them and keep them safe.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:55 am

Try telling them that the queen is a modern heroine who goes out, earns a living, and fixes her enemies, whilst the king is a weary old father figure who suffers from depression and needs to stay at home with the younger members of his family around him.

They won't learn much about chess but it may prepare some of them better for later life ...

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:27 pm

When I clicked on the link I received the following message:
"This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

Deborah Pass

Post by Deborah Pass » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 pm

"I've seen girls who bury their queen in the corner surrounded by all the other pieces. When I ask them why they tell me that the queen's the mummy and the other pieces are her little babies. She has to stay at home to look after them and keep them safe."

I've never seen any of my female pupils do anything like that with their Queen!! I do explain though that the two Kings can't be on the square adjacent because their heads are too big from self importance :-)