New Directors of Women's Chess

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Roger de Coverly

Re: New Directors of Women's Chess

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:58 am

Alan Walton wrote:Or one for the past, as this is how it used to be done before the game fee was applied, I remember it being no more than £10 per year before game fee started
So do I. I also remember that it had doubled in the space of not very many years as the BCF struggled to recoup the cost overruns of the 1986 KvK match.

Other historic points :-
If you only played in congresses or non-territorial leagues, the amounts paid to the BCF were next to nothing. The Game Fee started out at about 20p per game. County associations were able to dramatically reduce the amounts demanded from clubs because of the wider collection base of Game Fee. One of the most unpopular jobs and unpopular people in county associations was registrations secretary - basically the person who had to chase all those individuals who just played the odd game for details and money.

The recent spat over rating details for international tournaments drew attention to the charging method. Membership of the ECF doesn't give the event free international rating for the member and is charged event by event. If this principle is accepted for international rating, why shouldn't it equally apply to national rating?