Women's In-Tournament Training

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Sean Hewitt

Re: Women's In-Tournament Training

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:43 pm

For those questioning the legality of free entry to women, the legal advice I received is "Preferential treatment is unlawful unless it is to address under representation"

As this is clearly addressing the under respresentation of women playing chess, I was advised that we were fine to proceed under UK law.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Could one not argue that it is not my entry fee funding these entries but the hotel subsidy? Therefore I don't feel my entry funds this so much.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:For those questioning the legality of free entry to women, the legal advice I received is "Preferential treatment is unlawful unless it is to address under representation"

As this is clearly addressing the under respresentation of women playing chess, I was advised that we were fine to proceed under UK law.
Sean, as it's your event you might be the best person to ask. Do you agree that it's a little unfair that nontitled females are eligible to win prizes they haven't contributed to?

Obviously it's your prerogative how you set out the prizes. I'm just curious as to how you came to your decision.

(This should in no way be interpreted as an attack on e2e4 in anyway, I’m simply seeking clarification. nothing more)
Last edited by Gareth Harley-Yeo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
LozCooper wrote:
Do you feel the same about discounts for juniors, unemployed, senior citizens? I use those examples because they are not chess related eg by title or rating.

Or would you be happier if they were to receive free entry but couldn't win a prize?
There is common link between the 3 examples above. They all have a low income. The same cannot be said of women (please less us not start on that debate).
Not true - senior citizens come in 2 categories - firstly, there are those who spent years in final salary pension schemes and are now living on decent levels of pension income, often index-linked, possibly with considerable other financial resources from having made money in the housing market and/or inherited it

Secondly, there are those struggling on state pension only, with means tested state benefits on top

I don't agree with discounted chess entry for senior citizens because of the first category, who are considerably better off than, say, young chess players unable to afford to get on the housing ladder and struggling with student debt

You will note that employment for the over 60s is rising, and for the younger generation is falling, according to statistics out this month

Not sure whether discounts for seniors are legal these days
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Richard James wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote: To be fair, teenage boys have riotous hormones too! However they keep playing chess in large numbers.
Off-topic (probably just as well), but teenage boys don't keep playing chess in large numbers in this country, and haven't done so for the past 30 years.
Well, I meant in comparison to girls - nobody can argue that point.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Richard James wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote: To be fair, teenage boys have riotous hormones too! However they keep playing chess in large numbers.
Off-topic (probably just as well), but teenage boys don't keep playing chess in large numbers in this country, and haven't done so for the past 30 years.
Well, I meant in comparison to girls - nobody can argue that point.
Wanna bet? I'm sure someone will :lol:

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:49 pm

it might be that because boys mature slightly later then girls that they are inclined to stick with chess while the girls are off out with guys who are at least a couple of years older.
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:53 pm

LozCooper wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:Well, I meant in comparison to girls - nobody can argue that point.
Wanna bet? I'm sure someone will :lol:
I was going to edit that statement, but I didn't think I would be quick enough....
Adam Raoof IA, IO

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:For those questioning the legality of free entry to women, the legal advice I received is "Preferential treatment is unlawful unless it is to address under representation"

Sean, as it's your event you might be the best person to ask. Do you agree that it's a little unfair that nontitled females are eligible to win prizes they haven't contributed to?

Obviously it's your prerogative how you set out the prizes. I'm just curious as to how you came to your decision.

(This should in no way be interpreted as an attack on e2e4 in anyway, I’m simply seeking clarification. nothing more)

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote: Louise, this sounds extremely bitter that you haven't won a title. Perhaps if you had, you would be less against womens chess :)
If there is one thing that Louise has always been very clear about and that is her aversion to these 2nd class titles.

At one tournament she refused a cash prize she had "won" because it was for the best female.

Gary

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:

nothing to say? :P

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I hesitate to contribute to this particular debate, because of its increasingly dichotomous nature. As I have said before on this forum, there are two ways of looking at a problem, either 'top down' or 'bottom up', I arrived at this analysis technique from learning to program computers many moons ago.

To paraphrase this, we can either look at life in terms of ourselves, or look at ourselves in terms of life.

The problem with this is, we end up with up with a different answer, depending whether we are male or female and I don't mean which kind of genitalia we have, I think that Chinese philosophy with its idea of yin and yang had a point and if you think that is meaningless, please compare these two photos.

Please imagine a ship with a hundred people on it, ninety nine females and one fertile male, the ship springs a leak and sinks, luckily this happens close to an island and all survive, ok there would a certain amount of inbreeding, but I should imagine if you visited the island a thousand years later, there would be a viable society, were the gender of the people on the ship reversed, I very much doubt that a viable society would ensue, this means in terms of species survival, females are more important than males.

So with this in mind, as a contextual reordering of the debate, would the ECF benefit from a positive discrimination in terms of female participation, I would most definitely vote yes.

I know the ends do not justify the means, but that does not mean one cannot shift a few balances in terms of a long term goal, as long as those balances cause not too much pain.

I believe chess has enormous cultural benefits, ergo I believe it should be on the curriculum.

The more women play chess, the more the likelihood it will be on the curriculum.

The more children learn chess between five and seven years old, the better the world will become in my estimation.
Last edited by PeterTurland on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Peter

What on earth are you talking about?

Sebastian Stone

Post by Sebastian Stone » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Peter

Increasing female participation in chess to bring about a better world for all of us.

Duh!
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Peter

I don't know, I quite liked the scenarios Peter outlined. I am sure one of them formed the basis of an episode of Star Trek (the original series).
Adam Raoof IA, IO