Women's In-Tournament Training II

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Women's In-Tournament Training II

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:40 am

It might be time to lock this one down if nobody has anything helpful to add
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:11 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DO

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:45 pm

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DO
Amen to that.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Shouldn't that be: "For the love of Surrey, please do." I gather that the damage to the reputation that Surrey organisers enjoy of being the most quarrelsome has caused some hurt to their feelings. Take pity on them.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Sabrina, yes, I can well see the reasoning behind the choice of event to do your coaching, but YOU must also realise that your explanation of that reasoning was not perfectly clear to everyone, and that again is because of misinterpretation of the written word - yet you haven't even acknowledged that possibility.

I do agree that there is no further point in trying to have any meaningful discussion with you on this point as any positive outcome to any disagreement requires compromise and a willingness from BOTH sides to appreciate the other's point of view.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Sabrina

Congratulations on your training initiative. It sounds like it went very well. It seems a very good idea to use women coaches for this specific initiative to provide role models for junior girls. This seems a good networking idea to help the girls involved find a group of friends, which is obviously much more difficult when you are heavily outnumbered.

If anything comes of the idea to have a separate junior section of the ECF with charity status, hopefully there will be more money available for junior coaching.

I think we need to get more women of all ages playing chess. I've just noticed a local bridge club offering a coaching day to interest new members. I think this would be a good idea in chess but clubs would not be large enough to do this in isolation. Whilst not being just for women, I think that women would be more likely to find coaching an encouragement to take up chess as fewer have played to a decent standard at school. The problem with chess is that the gap between social chess and club chess can be quite hard to bridge. Perhaps something to think of for the future.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:25 am

Sabrina,

Hi there. Congratulations also on this excellent initiative. I think it is an brilliant idea to do this. It takes a lot of time, energy, commitment and patience to put into practice. It has really come across how dedicated you are to women's chess. You have identified a problem and are doing all that you can to fix it. The girls are very lucky indeed!

The fact that Sean had so many girls come along is proof that it worked (by combining the coaching opportunity with the free entry obviously helped!). In the long term, the boys (who do like having more girls around), the girls, the tournament organisers, the members of the ECF, English chess and therefore pretty much everybody wins!

Keep going, you are doin' good!

Kind regards and best wishes

Krishna