Women's In-Tournament Training II

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Justin Hadi

Re: Women's In-Tournament Training II

Post by Justin Hadi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:36 am

Locked thread v2 here we come!

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:51 am

Justin Hadi wrote:Locked thread v2 here we come!
That wasn't my intention :oops:

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:59 am

Loz.. why are you insisting on wanting to find fault in everything I write ? If you bother to actually study my earlier post, you will see that I actually referred to people like myself who could possibly just enter because it was free and devalue the event for others (OK, it may not happen, but it is a possibility and I was just putting an idea forward in case it did so) ... and are you now also the ECF spelling coach and will be correcting every error in this forum - or just discriminate against myself ?

Ben .. As for getting facts right - since when was I the head of any chess organisation and when did I ever make any comment about the strengths of any players who compete outside top sections ? Are you not able to just have a debate - and yes, by all means put opposing views - without you making false accusations and make personal comments about anyone you do not agree with ?

As you both seem against my suggestions, I note that you have so far not put forward any initiatives of your own for possible improvement of the situation.

To put the matter straight - I was not referring specifically to last weekend's tournament, but just putting forward a scenario as to what might occur any place, anywhere, anytime.

Louise - many thanks for your comment. I certainly was not referring to any particular group, just players in general.

Carl .. many thanks for your input and I apologise for having to write this post, but again I am only trying to defend myself against such unwarranted comments.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 am

Alan Burke wrote:Loz.. why are you insisting on wanting to find fault in everything I write ? If you bother to actually study my earlier post, you will see that I actually referred to people like myself who could possibly just enter because it was free and devalue the event for others (OK, it may not happen, but it is a possibility and I was just putting an idea forward in case it did so) ... and are you now also the ECF spelling coach and will be correcting every error in this forum - or just discriminate against myself ?
Fair enough, I accept your comment was meant as a general one. I am sometimes too quick to leap to the defence of players, coaches and organisers when I feel they are being targeted but I'm happy to be corrected in this case. I know I dislike being refered to as a patzer so it was a natural instinct to think I'm not the only one. I'm happy to move on and discuss future training plans now.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 am

Alan Burke wrote:Carl .. many thanks for your input and I apologise for having to write this post, but again I am only trying to defend myself against such unwarranted comments.
A lot of the posts are not going to be perfect and you can always find fault in some of the comments, so please stick to the point everyone
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 am

What is a Patser then?

Where was the personal insult , you claimed that it was only the Open that players could free enter.

You did not have a clue.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 am

Ben Purton wrote:What is a Patser then?
You are helping this thread within this section how then exactly Ben?

I am not planning on spending my week off (in the nice weather...) sitting here trying to make sure everyone is playing nice :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 am

Loz .. many thanks for your last post - very much appreciated and accepted. As long as people will realise that there are alternative views in any discussion, that is a great step forward towards any 'peace initiative'. Yes, people have opposing ideas on any subject, but it is only by reasonable dialogue that possible harmony can be achieved. If everyone held the same point of view, possibly even this forum would not be required !!!

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 am

Sorry Carl.. but I need to correct Ben Purton's false post about me :

Ben .. If you bother to actually read my words exactly, you will see that I did NOT say a personal INSULT was made, I said a personal COMMENT (ie.. you wrote "It's also nice to know you view players not of open strength as patzers").

I do not view such players in that way and never said anywhere that I did ... and it was a totally wrong comment for you to make about me.

Could you also please copy exactly where I have claimed that it was only Open players who could enter free last weekend ? If I did, I will apolgise for any error I have made - but can we expect the same from if you are wrong ???

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 am

Alan Burke wrote:If I did, I will apolgise for any error I have made - but can we expect the same from if you are wrong ???
This is part of the overall problem you are labouring the point of "correctness" so much that I doubt anyone including me is now listening
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am

Differential entry fees are common practice in tournaments, particularly if Stewart Reuben has anything to do with them

For example Hastings 2010-2011 had six varying by title and rating, all the way from zero (IM/GM/WIM/WGM) to £ 135. This almost doubles to eleven when you note that players under 21, over 60 or registered disabled get 50% off.

The only direct female incentive was £ 200 for the highest placed female player. Indirectly WIM was free, but not FM and WFM was £ 23 but rated 2100 and above was £ 63.

With three sections at e2e4 tournaments, players usually find their natural level. The female players seemed to be playing in the sections you might expect. If there was evidence of an influx of low rated players into the Open, I expect e2e4 would impose a rating restriction.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:18 am

"I woudn't have thought you would want 30+ patsers turning up and applying for the Open Section just because it was free and thus devaluing the standard of the tournament"

But Ok.
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:20 am

For What its worth I actually agree , i would not want the open full of Under 150 ECF players, unless they were juniors

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

The word Patser I think is what me and Loz did not like?

I don't see anyone as a 'Patser' , Id much rather play someone who is a lower grade but a laugh rather than Alexander Cherniaev who is a GM for example?

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am

And also I think you are a good asset to 3C's club , if you put half the work you do in to your forum posts as you do with any voluntary work then that is great. You are entitled to disagree with the whole idea of free entry as much as I don't see the problem with it. I understand the core morality issues you raise about Liberal values.

But today we see a Budget which includes Liberal values apparently and this ain't going to be a fair budget for all.

Cest la vie.