National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Sabrina Chevannes

National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi All

Just to let you know that the National Girls' Chess Championships was ran this year by myself and Jovanka Houska and was a success. The tournament encouraged many girls to play and they really enjoyed the tournament. A full report is available online here: http://chevanneschessacademy.com/WC_news.html

Thank you to all those who supported the events and believed in us that we would be able to pull it off at such short notice.

We are really pleased that so many more girls want to play chess again!

Sabrina

LozCooper

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Congratulations, it sounds like it was a huge success.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:47 pm

The report was nice as well - an enjoyable read. Good to hear the coaching was so popular as well.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks guys! Yes, we were extremely privileged to have Harriet there giving free coaching throughout the day.

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:Hi All

Just to let you know that the National Girls' Chess Championships was ran this year by myself and Jovanka Houska and was a success. The tournament encouraged many girls to play and they really enjoyed the tournament. A full report is available online here: http://chevanneschessacademy.com/WC_news.html

Thank you to all those who supported the events and believed in us that we would be able to pull it off at such short notice.

We are really pleased that so many more girls want to play chess again!

Sabrina
Very nice report....nice photos too...just look at all that space around each of the boards ! Seems like a cracking place to play....better than the dodgy Hall in a run-down Comprehensive that usually is the norm on the Northern circuit....

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:40 pm

David Grobler wrote:Seems like a cracking place to play....better than the dodgy Hall in a run-down Comprehensive that usually is the norm on the Northern circuit....
Not on this side of the Pennines

25 March 2012 - City of Manchester Stadium - why not come and see a good venue?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
David Grobler wrote:Seems like a cracking place to play....better than the dodgy Hall in a run-down Comprehensive that usually is the norm on the Northern circuit....
Not on this side of the Pennines

25 March 2012 - City of Manchester Stadium - why not come and see a good venue?
Tempting...but Im very poor at long time limits...with only 30 mins on the clock...my standard is much worse and quite frankly is an embarrassment....

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:59 pm

September 2-4 Manchester Autumn Congress then!
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:38 pm

But neither of those are girls' events :p

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:But neither of those are girls' events :p
ahh...yes....humble apologies.....I have gone off thread again......sorry :)

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:28 pm

A good event which looked like it went well apart from the lack of players for the the U14, U16 and U18 sections which were lumped together.

I was disappointed to see sex discrimination rearing its ugly head, which is not what you would expect since it is usually women who campaign against this kind of thing. Booting the men and boys out of the coaching room was going a bit too far IMO.

What do you propose to do next? ban fathers and brothers from attending future events.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:A good event which looked like it went well apart from the lack of players for the the U14, U16 and U18 sections which were lumped together.
In fairness, all junior tournaments in the Midlands have those sections merged, purely because there aren't enough players to sustain individual sections. It would surprise me if this wasn't the case everywhere outside of the SCCU.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Simon Dixon wrote:A good event which looked like it went well apart from the lack of players for the the U14, U16 and U18 sections which were lumped together.

I was disappointed to see s*x discrimination rearing its ugly head, which is not what you would expect since it is usually women who campaign against this kind of thing. Booting the men and boys out of the coaching room was going a bit too far IMO.

What do you propose to do next? ban fathers and brothers from attending future events.
I've no idea what to make of this post other than negativity for the sake of it. Surely the organisers should be applauded for holding these events that get more girls playing chess and the fact that they have also introduced organised coaching for all juniors at the recent e2e4 event in Sunningdale is also a good thing. They are trying to encourage a minority group to play more which seems to be something that should be applauded not criticised.

Simon Dixon

Post by Simon Dixon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:24 pm

They are trying to encourage a minority group to play more which seems to be something that should be applauded not criticised.
I am not sure what you mean by "minority group" a chess player is a chess player. And yes the organisers should be applauded for holding an otherwise excellent event, only marred by discriminating against males for being in the coaching room.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:28 pm

LozCooper wrote:

I was disappointed to see s*x discrimination rearing its ugly head, which is not what you would expect since it is usually women who campaign against this kind of thing. Booting the men and boys out of the coaching room was going a bit too far IMO.

I've no idea what to make of this post other than negativity for the sake of it. Surely the organisers should be applauded for holding these events that get more girls playing chess and the fact that they have also introduced organised coaching for all juniors at the recent e2e4 event in Sunningdale is also a good thing. They are trying to encourage a minority group to play more which seems to be something that should be applauded not criticised.
Considering the quote started with "A good event" doesn't seem negative to me, it just seems he was pointing out some areas for improvement, for example improving the depth of teenage girls participating, though the second comment seems a bit worrying, I would have expected the males at the congress would have been brothers/fathers of participating girls so banning them from the coaching seems a little petty as I would expect their strength would have been quite low