National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 6589
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:26 pm

I think the forum moderators should be much quicker to clamp down on any XYZ discrimination posts and split them off into a separate thread. Too often threads are being hijacked by people wanting to discuss what they see as discrimination, when (as is clear) that is not what happened here. For the record, my attempt to head some of this off was from past experience that if no-one tries then the threads just carry on spiralling out of control. Sometimes someone saying something early helps, sometimes not.

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2220
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:30 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
E Michael White wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Everyone else, there isn't really a need to reply to what Alan said.
You're in danger of becoming like D Sedgwick, trying to pre-empt and prevent replies; this can result in the ECF not following the best course of action.
Do you really believe that either Christopher or I have that degree of influence either over the ECF or over posters on this Forum?
I...hear...and...obey...sometimes...

Simon Brown
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Sevenoaks, Kent, if not in Costa Calida, Spain

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Actually I think this forum, and others, is being hijacked by people who just like the sound of their own voice (as it were). I ignore them.

Sabrina is doing a great job. If those who wish to knock everything expended as much time and energy on positive things for chess, we would have more Sabrinas, and I think that is a good thing.

E Michael White
Posts: 1265
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by E Michael White » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:35 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Do you really believe that either Christopher or I have that degree of influence either over the ECF or over posters on this Forum?
No, but I think you believe it.
You should leave your 10.2 in the tournament hall !

ed: And here’s some stats to back it up

Before I wrote this post the word “authority” appears 254 times in all 63450 posts on this forum.
You have used the word 11 times.
You account for 1.51% of posts and 4.33 % of the usage of the word “authority”.

Need one say more ?
Last edited by E Michael White on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brendan O'Gorman
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Simon Dixon wrote: --------- original text omitted

The SDA 1975 has been amended several times, the law still stands.

-------- more text omitted
Simon,

Have a look here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/schedule/27

As a general rule, I'd be inclined towards caution whenever tempted to make categoric statements about the law, even when provoked by a slightly impolite Mr H

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:40 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Actually I think this forum, and others, is being hijacked by people who just like the sound of their own voice (as it were). I ignore them.

Sabrina is doing a great job. If those who wish to knock everything expended as much time and energy on positive things for chess, we would have more Sabrinas, and I think that is a good thing.

Never going to happen , bit like Neo. There can be only 1 :lol:
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Krishna Shiatis
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:Hi All

Just to let you know that the National Girls' Chess Championships was ran this year by myself and Jovanka Houska and was a success. The tournament encouraged many girls to play and they really enjoyed the tournament. A full report is available online here: http://chevanneschessacademy.com/WC_news.html

Thank you to all those who supported the events and believed in us that we would be able to pull it off at such short notice.

We are really pleased that so many more girls want to play chess again!

Sabrina
Hi Sabrina,

Congratulations on yet another successful event! Just wanted to let you know that when we announced at club that two of the girls from ACES (Academy for Chess Excellence and Skills) - Katherine Shepherd and Isabelle Gibert - had both won first place in their respective sections at your competition, several of the other girls immediately put their hands up and asked how they could participate next year. (We are lucky enough to have quite a large contingent of girls thanks to the hard work put in by Chris Ward GM at a local girl's school - Bromley High - fast becoming a hive for girl's chess).

As one might expect, it is not just the competition that is important, it is the ripples that are sent out to all at grassroots level. As word spreads about the quality of the competition combined with the most excellent coaching, I am sure you will have a real surge in girl's/women's chess up and down the country.

Keep it up!

Best wishes,

Krishna

David Sedgwick
Posts: 2829
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:36 pm

E Michael White wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:Do you really believe that either Christopher or I have that degree of influence either over the ECF or over posters on this Forum?
No, but I think you believe it.
You should leave your 10.2 in the tournament hall !

ed: And here’s some stats to back it up

Before I wrote this post the word “authority” appears 254 times in all 63450 posts on this forum.
You have used the word 11 times.
You account for 1.51% of posts and 4.33 % of the usage of the word “authority”.

Need one say more ?
How fascinating.

You're absolutely right. Excluding the current posts, the word “authority”. does indeed occur 11 times in my posts, 3 of the usages being quotations of other posters.

Again excluding the current posts, the word occurs 12 times in your posts, 2 of the usages being quotations.

So you account for 0.92% of posts and 4.72% of the usage of the word “authority”.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 2829
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Actually I think this forum, and others, is being hijacked by people who just like the sound of their own voice (as it were). I ignore them.
Thanks. That's good advice.

User avatar
Ben Purton
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 am
Location: Berks

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:56 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
E Michael White wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:Do you really believe that either Christopher or I have that degree of influence either over the ECF or over posters on this Forum?
No, but I think you believe it.
You should leave your 10.2 in the tournament hall !

ed: And here’s some stats to back it up

Before I wrote this post the word “authority” appears 254 times in all 63450 posts on this forum.
You have used the word 11 times.
You account for 1.51% of posts and 4.33 % of the usage of the word “authority”.

Need one say more ?
How fascinating.

You're absolutely right. Excluding the current posts, the word “authority”. does indeed occur 11 times in my posts, 3 of the usages being quotations of other posters.

Again excluding the current posts, the word occurs 12 times in your posts, 2 of the usages being quotations.

So you account for 0.92% of posts and 4.72% of the usage of the word “authority”.

You both need to get out more. 100%
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2220
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:02 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
E Michael White wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:Do you really believe that either Christopher or I have that degree of influence either over the ECF or over posters on this Forum?
No, but I think you believe it.
You should leave your 10.2 in the tournament hall !

ed: And here’s some stats to back it up

Before I wrote this post the word “authority” appears 254 times in all 63450 posts on this forum.
You have used the word 11 times.
You account for 1.51% of posts and 4.33 % of the usage of the word “authority”.

Need one say more ?
How fascinating.

You're absolutely right. Excluding the current posts, the word “authority”. does indeed occur 11 times in my posts, 3 of the usages being quotations of other posters.

Again excluding the current posts, the word occurs 12 times in your posts, 2 of the usages being quotations.

So you account for 0.92% of posts and 4.72% of the usage of the word “authority”.
I think it is important to establish the context of the use of the word 'authority' before coming to any conclusions - simple use of the words 'fascist' or 'lunatic' does not necessarily imply that the author is either.

Incidentally, going back to the subject of the thread, the ECF is happy with Sabrina and Jovanka's efforts on behalf of chess, and prepared to back them with what modest resources it has to offer.

If anyone reading this would like to sponsor chess, especially women's chess, give me a ring (07855 036 537) - I have a few ideas that need financial support!

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5509
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I think the forum moderators should be much quicker to clamp down on any XYZ discrimination posts and split them off into a separate thread.
Almost impossible to keep a track on everything at the moment, well not with my job - sorry :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Sean Hewitt

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Simon Dixon wrote: --------- original text omitted

The SDA 1975 has been amended several times, the law still stands.

-------- more text omitted
Simon,

Have a look here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/schedule/27

As a general rule, I'd be inclined towards caution whenever tempted to make categoric statements about the law, even when provoked by a slightly impolite Mr H
Oh come on! He was provoked because he was completely wrong LOL!

Paul Cooksey

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:32 pm

I understand there is evidence that threads like this one are surprisingly useful to online communities. They allow us to bond over our common beliefs. In this case that that women's chess is important and Sabrina is doing a good job.

I'm prepared to give Alan Burke the benefit of the doubt. He may have wanted to raise a legitimate point about handling parental supervision correctly. But Simon Dixon's post on positive discrimination appears to be pretext, based on his subsequent posts. I hope Carl will put him on the naughty step for an appropriate time.

User avatar
Gareth Harley-Yeo
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: National Girls' Chess Championships - Success.

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Sabz,

I just read 4 pages of fun!

Well done on another successful initiative!

Saying that, I do understand the negative points. Hopefully you can clear this up for me? Say I took my daughter to this event (ignore for the moment I'm not English and lets say she's 6 years old for argument's sake). Would I as a father have been asked to leave the coaching room in order to encourage more females in?

If the answer is ''no dont be silly'' then you'd put this whole thing to bed right now.

If the answer is ''yes, or other girls won't have come in'' then I think it was a bad call as my daughter certainly wouldn't have stayed in the room without me. Also if mothers were not deemed as a threat and allowed to stay, I think I'd kick off big time.

The correct course of action would be to say ''no boys'' in the coaching room, but both mothers AND fathers are welcome to accompany/encourage their daughters.

If this wasn't the case then I hope it will be for the next event. If it was and all the reports are hear'say then please say so and the negative comments can cease.
Last edited by Gareth Harley-Yeo on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply