2018 Women's World Championship

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
JustinHorton

Re: 2018 Women's World Championship

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:05 am

Krush looking very comfortable early on.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:22 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:10 pm
It took me a while to pick up on Justin's sarcasm there.
Indeed.
Where is Pia Cramling when we need her? Not retired I hope.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Galliamova-Goryachkina currently going the underdog's way. Queenside castling may be unusual in that line.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 pm

Cramling's not retired, no; she was playing at Isle of Man a couple of weeks ago.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Krush steamrollered in the ending
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Biggest upset perhaps was Ekaterina Atalik beating Mariya Muzychuk with Black. I forget what her surname was before she married Suat Atalik; does anyone know?
Quite a few games went against rating,
Batsiashvili also lost with White.
Alinasab won against Socko.
Also the teenager Zhu Jiner beat Pogonina and the veteran (?) Galliamova beat Goryachkina.
So we could have some interesting action in the next two days.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Her Wikipedia article says Ekaterina Atalik was Polovnikova before she married Suat Atalik (in 2005).

Nigel Short was best man at their wedding!

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Alisa Galliamova is doing really well at this event and won the first game in Round 2 against Goryachkina who is rated 100+ Elo higher. So when someone, who is clearly profiting from the format, tweets the following then you know this is no way to run a World Championship:
"The current system of determining the champion is nonsense. Everybody is on edge, everybody can lose a single game and get eliminated. I don’t think such competitions deserve the World Championship status. I am happy that we are coming back to a former system".

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:46 pm
Biggest upset perhaps was Ekaterina Atalik beating Mariya Muzychuk with Black. I forget what her surname was before she married Suat Atalik; does anyone know?
If you have a (free) login on the FIDE ratings website then one possible route for investigation is to look at the "Individual Calculations" for a period before they got married and it should tell you. FIDE doesn't change old data. So, for example - https://ratings.fide.com/individual_cal ... -07-01&t=0.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:29 pm
Alisa Galliamova is doing really well at this event and won the first game in Round 2 against Goryachkina who is rated 100+ Elo higher. So when someone, who is clearly profiting from the format, tweets the following then you know this is no way to run a World Championship:
"The current system of determining the champion is nonsense. Everybody is on edge, everybody can lose a single game and get eliminated. I don’t think such competitions deserve the World Championship status. I am happy that we are coming back to a former system".
This is a bit rich coming from Galliamova who won the 1997 Candidates tournament, with Xie Jun as runner-up. They were supposed to play a match in China to decide who could challenge Susan Polgar but Galliamova refused to go to China to play, so FIDE awarded the right to Xie.

In the meantime, Polgar had immigrated to America, gotten married and started a family. Long-drawn-out negotiations led to a dispute, and she eventually relinquished the crown. That turned out to be fortuitous for Galliamova since FIDE decided she and Xie should play for the vacant title. Their match was held partly in Russia and partly in Shenyang, China. This time she did travel but Xie regained the title by winning the match by a score of 5-3, with seven draws.
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 am
If you have a (free) login on the FIDE ratings website then one possible route for investigation is to look at the "Individual Calculations" for a period before they got married and it should tell you. FIDE doesn't change old data. So, for example - https://ratings.fide.com/individual_cal ... -07-01&t=0.
No I don't have a free login. Why would I? I am hoping that paying to do this is one of the things that Dvorkovich will scrap.
Tim Harding

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Brian Towers wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 am
No I don't have a free login. Why would I? I am hoping that paying to do this is one of the things that Dvorkovich will scrap.
Isn't it free to anyone who registers?

A potential point swing in Atalik-Mariya Muzychuk. Anna Muzychuk through & Nana Dzagnidze out also.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Round 2 results:
Ju, Wenjun v Krush 1.5-0.5
Batsiashvili v Zhai, Mo 0-2
Tan Zhongyi v Tokhirjonova TO TIEBREAK TOMORROW
Gunina v Ushenina 1.5-0.5
A. Muzychuk v Bodnaruk 2-0
Stefanova v Saduakassova TIEBREAK
Kosteniuk v Ni, Shiqun TIEBREAK
Harika v Khotenashvili TIEBREAK
Koneru v Zawadzka 0.5-1.5
Abdumalik v Zhao, Xue TIEBREAK
M. Muzychuk v Atalik TIEBREAK (One win each)
Alinasab v Socko 2-0
Lagno v Hoang TIEBREAK
Pogonina v Zhu, Jiner TIEBREAK (One win each)
Goryachkina v Galliamova 0-2
Dzagnidze v Lei, Tingjie 0.5-1.5

So still no Chinese player has been eliminated, except the one who was beaten by another Chinese in round 1.
Tim Harding

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 am

So Humpy Koneru knocked out again. One loss and that's it, you wonder whether over a longer match she would have beaten Jolanta Zawadzka. I think most people think she would have done including Zawadzka herself!

" I am still slightly shocked after the game. I was kind of ready to go home tomorrow. First of all, I have to change my ticket now. And then I will have to regroup and prepare for more fighting in the tournament."

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 am
So Humpy Koneru knocked out again. One loss and that's it, you wonder whether over a longer match she would have beaten Jolanta Zawadzka. I think most people think she would have done including Zawadzka herself!
The #2 seed lost to the #31 seed.

In the last 32 of the 2018 PDC World Darts Championship, the #2 seed, Peter Wright, lost to an unseeded player, Jamie Lewis, who beat the #31 seed in the 1st round. I wondered whether over a longer match Wright would have beaten Lewis. But it wasn't, so Wright was out.

As a result, there have been millions of darts fans around the world claiming the format is unsuitable for a World Championship, and should be radically overhauled because the matches aren't long enough. Except there hasn't been, everyone accepted that the better player on the night won, and the format remains the same for the last 32 this year.

Obviously over a longer match, the better player would have a higher chance of winning. But shouldn't the World Champion, whoever that ends up being, be able to beat a player rated 136 points below her over 2 games? Or at least avoid defeat in it and then win at some point during the tie-break? Her expected score over the 2-game match would be 1.36-0.64, and she lost 0.5-1.5. She underperformed in the match, so she got knocked out.

I think there's a lot of obsession about the format, and I suspect that if you compared it to other knockout tournaments that determine a World Championship, you would notice just the same phenomenon. But no one is campaigning for those matches to be longer.