Certificate of Merit

Questions and Support regarding the Certificate of Merit.
Matthew Turner

Re: Certificate of Merit

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:40 am

Chris,
OK, I think that makes it very clear. It sounds like the distribution of sets is basically being undertaken by Holloid. Obviously it would be nice to have academies and all these other wonderful ideas, but the main priority is to get chess sets out (as promised) and your last gives me some confidence that it will happen
Did the event take place on Friday? and how many sets were distributed?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:02 am

>
Maybe at the next 4NCL weekend we can have a murder mystery with MT in charge of one team and CM in charge of another?< John Upham

Actually John, Kevin Staveley is seriously trying to put on a Murder Mystery at the British this year.
Would anybody be experienced in organising a Treasure Hunt? Canterbury will lend itself to one of these rather well next year.

Stewart Reuben

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:02 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Chris,
OK, I think that makes it very clear. It sounds like the distribution of sets is basically being undertaken by Holloid. Obviously it would be nice to have academies and all these other wonderful ideas, but the main priority is to get chess sets out (as promised) and your last gives me some confidence that it will happen
Who says that the distribution of the sets is the main priority? Quite a number of posters here, including experienced chess coaches, have opined that the provision of people (and teaching materials) to follow up the distribution of the plastic sets is far more important. Without it, the sum achievement of the project will be for schools which already have a chess culture to have a few more chess sets which they could easily have afforded anyway. Delivering the plastic without the people adds up to little more than a publicity stunt. It seems to me that Chris and Matt are now downplaying what I and others understood to be the ultimate point of the exercise.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:>
Kevin Staveley is seriously trying to put on a Murder Mystery at the British this year... Canterbury will lend itself to one of these rather well next year.
Mmm, yes indeed. A reenactment of 'Murder in the Cathedral' suggests itself. Perhaps a member of the ECF board (or an ex-member with time on his hands) might volunteer for the Thomas a Becket role.
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Surely we would have ther public vote on who should have the Beckett role? That is the modern way, with premium line phone-ins.
Stewart

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Surely we would have ther public vote on who should have the Beckett role? That is the modern way, with premium line phone-ins.
Stewart
I think you should demand at least £40k from the ECF for that revenue raising idea.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 pm

John,
I think I may have come across wrong in my previous posting. I had not meant to say that providing free chess sets was more worthy than supplying the accompanying coaching materials and expertise. I simply meant that the ECF had promised free sets and I believe that they should try to deliver on their promises as their priority.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 am

So do I, but the ECF promised more than the physical delivery of free chess sets. The press release on the ECF website starts: "As part of a new Chess for Schools initiative...". It then goes on to define the parameters of the project: "an endeavour to put chess sets in every school in England, and then follow up with the objective of establishing new school chess clubs". It is important not to lose sight of this by describing stage one of the project as a "priority". The project does not have priorities - it has a stated objective (see above).

So far, the ECF's main efforts appear to have been to talk to Holloid, presumably to keep them on track as regards delivering what they (Holloid) originally promised (although the scope has been watered down - we are now only talking about schools that want the free sets). But, with no ECF-appointed manager yet in place to deliver the second stage of the project, the ECF's overall promise will continue to be unfulfilled and the Holloid initiative is likely to be wasted. Instead of "Chess for Schools", it is gradually morphing into "Chess Sets for Some Schools" - the two things are not the same as some people might like us to think. Recent official announcements and comments here are starting to sound rather like political spin, of the type which you tend to hear when people in power fail to deliver on a manifesto promise.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:31 pm

It would have been utterly stupid to advertise the post of manager of the CFS project until it had been established that the Holloid project was definitely going ahead. Thus to object that, nobody has yet been appointed - virtually immediately after the announcements were made, is simply wrong.
Of course a coordinated announcement is how it should have been done in the first place.
The Holloid and ECF objectives cannot possibly be achieved before at the earliest July 2010. Hopefully the CFS initiative will never be concluded.
Stewart Reuben

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Stewart wrote
Would anybody be experienced in organising a Treasure Hunt?

How about a Treasurer (FD) hunt?
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:41 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:It would have been utterly stupid to advertise the post of manager of the CFS project until it had been established that the Holloid project was definitely going ahead.
I thought the ECF line had always been that the Holloid project was definitely going ahead.
Last edited by Nick Thomas on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:08 am

John wrote
So do I, but the ECF promised more than the physical delivery of free chess sets. The press release on the ECF website starts: "As part of a new Chess for Schools initiative...". It then goes on to define the parameters of the project: "an endeavour to put chess sets in every school in England, and then follow up with the objective of establishing new school chess clubs". It is important not to lose sight of this by describing stage one of the project as a "priority". The project does not have priorities - it has a stated objective (see above).

So far, the ECF's main efforts appear to have been to talk to Holloid, presumably to keep them on track as regards delivering what they (Holloid) originally promised (although the scope has been watered down - we are now only talking about schools that want the free sets). But, with no ECF-appointed manager yet in place to deliver the second stage of the project, the ECF's overall promise will continue to be unfulfilled and the Holloid initiative is likely to be wasted. Instead of "Chess for Schools", it is gradually morphing into "Chess Sets for Some Schools" - the two things are not the same as some people might like us to think. Recent official announcements and comments here are starting to sound rather like political spin, of the type which you tend to hear when people in power fail to deliver on a manifesto promise.
John previously you suggested that delivering sets to schools that don’t want them was silly. Now you’re complaining that the project is being watered down because, at present, we’re only delivering to the schools that have registered. That seems a bit inconsistent.

Be in no doubt that I see the project as having three main elements all of which need to be delivered:
First the sets.
Second the support package.
Third establishing the network of chess academies.
The support package is being worked on; elements of it are ready and will go on sale shortly. Yes we need to get an appropriate person to drive this and the third stage forward. Alas it may be that volunteers are holding back until a significant number of sets are delivered. Indeed the post was not advertised until the position with regard to the sets had clarified.
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:23 am

Chris,
Just one question, that requires a very short answer, at the first trial launch on Friday how many sets were distributed?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:15 am

Matthew Turner wrote:Chris,
Just one question, that requires a very short answer, at the first trial launch on Friday how many sets were distributed?
The press release says 10 per school, so one would assume 10 :?:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:58 am

I like this behind-the-scenes look at the ECF! :)

One thing about the "chess acadamies", exactly what do they entail? Would it just mean the end of junior clubs as we know them, as all the junior club members migrate to the acadmies, or would they exist alongside the acadamies?