County Chess 2018-19

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
John Reyes

Re: County Chess 2018-19

Post by John Reyes » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:12 am
WECU county chess is on its last legs now, with both Somerset and Gloucestershire no longer entering teams it is just Devon and Cornwall left holding the fort.

just like Lancashire and Yorkshire!!

Lancashire loves getting the bye to the national final, as every year at there AGM, they always say that they are the only team to field all teams in the national sections
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm

The MCCU programme has started. There is one extra team overall (u160 -1; U140 +3; U120-1).

I make the usual comments about this. My estimations is that there could easily be at least 10 further teams competing minimum and if each county could maximise that figure could be doubled. The U160, down now to two teams, is extremely disappointing - eight years ago six teams competed in this competition. The reason as mentioned many times by me is not the lack of players but the paucity of volunteers to run teams. The fact that the U140 has suddenly moved from four teams to seven is indicative of this, volunteers have been found and suddenly three more counties have entered - clearly there was potential to run these teams in the past - just nobody who would take on the captaincy. The same arguments are not exclusive to the MCCU - witness Joey Stewart's post - however I think Somerset are competing in the WECU.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:57 pm

just like Lancashire and Yorkshire!!

Lancashire loves getting the bye to the national final, as every year at there AGM, they always say that they are the only team to field all teams in the national sections

I guess at least you guys know they you have every chance of winning the national final with the strength of your sides, but most of the genuine minor counties are sick of cowardly open strength teams treating it as a plate event and winning year after year - the reason it is so hard to get captains is that nobody wants to have to motivate players to drive a 200 mile round trip, get mashed by a team who is going to outgrade you by exactly the right margin to qualify for the minor, oh and pay £5 for the pleasure.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:52 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 pm
I guess at least you guys know they you have every chance of winning the national final with the strength of your sides, but most of the genuine minor counties are sick of cowardly open strength teams treating it as a plate event and winning year after year - the reason it is so hard to get captains is that nobody wants to have to motivate players to drive a 200 mile round trip, get mashed by a team who is going to outgrade you by exactly the right margin to qualify for the minor, oh and pay £5 for the pleasure.
That might explain the absence of teams from the national stages (although that particular national stage event is one of the more popular ones), but it wouldn't affect the regional stages, which is where the absence of captains is really being felt.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:47 pm

As Surrey won the Minor for the first time ever can we defend our title if our open team qualify for national stages but our u180S/U160S do not.?