ECF Online County Championship

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Simon Rogers

Re: ECF Online County Championship

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:03 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:20 pm
"County Champions: Northumberland"

Well done! Nice to see a different winner. Have they ever won the "traditional" one?
Well done Northumberland. It seems to be all happening up there with the first OTB post lockdown tournament taking place next month.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:18 pm

That's great to see Northumberland win it and not the usual suspects
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jon Underwood

Post by Jon Underwood » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:41 am

Jon Underwood wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:04 pm
My view, which I think there was a least some sympathy with, is that if it happens again the format should be somewhat similar but with a knockout/plate structure. Eight rounds would be far too many in anything approaching normal times.

I'd also like to place on record my thanks for the hard work of the controller and others. There were a few innovations which have helped English chess I think.

Also good to see some of the peripheral counties winning things (well I would say that of course), but it is not just due to small populations that Devon and Northumberland haven't won a first team title before.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 am

The MCCU online county championships start tomorrow; are any other Unions running their own events?
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:38 pm

I got an email earlier with a very enthusiastic attempt to revitalise the WECU county scene as an online event so hopefully that will bear fruit in due course and there will be several more counties involved
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jon Underwood

Post by Jon Underwood » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:38 pm
I got an email earlier with a very enthusiastic attempt to revitalise the WECU county scene as an online event so hopefully that will bear fruit in due course and there will be several more counties involved
I believe the organiser has 5 and probably 6 of the 7 signed up.