ECF Online County Championship

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Alex McFarlane

Re: ECF Online County Championship

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:06 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 pm
Surely the Steinitz Memorial was on Chess24, not Chess.com.
Good point!!

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:36 pm

Is the implication of this that if you playing this and lose internet connection for a couple of minutes at any time (hardly an uncommon experience) that you will lose the game? I’m not sure that that makes it an attractive event to play in. Whilst such a situation is fine for casual blitz chess, it’s not at all something you want in a competition like this. And there’s no way to turn this off?

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:14 pm

If true this will limit me to just one game, as I'm using a highly unreliable sim router at the moment and there is a HIGH chance i will disconnect.
Lichess is so much better than chess.com.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:16 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:36 pm
Is the implication of this that if you playing this and lose internet connection for a couple of minutes at any time (hardly an uncommon experience) that you will lose the game? I’m not sure that that makes it an attractive event to play in. Whilst such a situation is fine for casual blitz chess, it’s not at all something you want in a competition like this. And there’s no way to turn this off?
Sadly, no. Players get removed from competitions for the same reason, with no way to reinstate them.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:58 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Lichess is so much better than chess.com.
I completely agree.

KMcCarthy

Post by KMcCarthy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:59 pm

Having missed the practice round as we had a tournament last week ...can anyone advise when we get the opposing team line up ...in Lincolnshire I may need to send homing pigeons to advise some of the far-flung players ;-)
Sharks 4NCL

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:19 pm

KMcCarthy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:59 pm
Having missed the practice round as we had a tournament last week ...can anyone advise when we get the opposing team line up ...in Lincolnshire I may need to send homing pigeons to advise some of the far-flung players ;-)
The line ups should be visible on the League Management System at 1730, one hour before the start of play.

You shouldn't need to advise your players of their opponents. They just need to look on the LMS for themselves.

However, there could be a problem if the site crashes, as happened at the start of the 4NCL Online. I hope that won't happen.

Please cut the technical team a bit of slack if not everything is perfect. A lot of work has been going on this week to address the issues which arose in the practice round. As others have commented, the ECF may not have made the best choice of platform, but everyone is still learning.

KMcCarthy

Post by KMcCarthy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:46 pm

I envisage carnage then ...1730 is 23 hours after cut off for team submission (though i sent mine a further day early) and some of the players being coerced (press-ganged) in to online County chess are shall we say ..a little technologically naive ! Is there a reason for hiding confirmed line ups until then ...only 2 of my players have even heard of LMS and the whole shebang of individual challenges/prep/etc hinges on a perfect storm. I appreciate it is difficult and sure we will have workable system by the finals ..but it would be nice to get my players together online at say 2pm ..go through pairings and instructions again ..then worry only about all 12 turning up and doing it right ...and the following week I will have 24 players to herd ..whilst also playing my own match ...what could possibly go wrong ? Surely with all the pitfalls and limitations getting the pairings out for checking and swapping line ups earlier must help to smooth process.
Sharks 4NCL

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:39 am

KMcCarthy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:46 pm
I envisage carnage then ...1730 is 23 hours after cut off for team submission (though i sent mine a further day early) and some of the players being coerced (press-ganged) in to online County chess are shall we say ..a little technologically naive ! Is there a reason for hiding confirmed line ups until then ...only 2 of my players have even heard of LMS and the whole shebang of individual challenges/prep/etc hinges on a perfect storm. I appreciate it is difficult and sure we will have workable system by the finals ..but it would be nice to get my players together online at say 2pm ..go through pairings and instructions again ..then worry only about all 12 turning up and doing it right ...and the following week I will have 24 players to herd ..whilst also playing my own match ...what could possibly go wrong ? Surely with all the pitfalls and limitations getting the pairings out for checking and swapping line ups earlier must help to smooth process.
I think that you should contact the controller about your concerns.

In the practice round things mostly went okay on the day,

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:26 am

We have pairings for both G Man matches tonight, Open and u1825, emailed to us by our captain, so they must be available, albeit not on the ECF LMS
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:54 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:26 am
We have pairings for both G Man matches tonight, Open and u1825, emailed to us by our captain, so they must be available, albeit not on the ECF LMS
Any captain is at liberty to contact their opposite number(s) and ask them if they wish to exchange team lists.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:34 am

I gather we're playing over 15 boards in both matches, so that may be why we know the pairings

We even know who the match arbiters are

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:43 pm

The pairings have been made available earlier than previously envisaged and can now be viewed on the LMS.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:00 pm

Very good work there thanks :)

Some fairly notable players in a few of the Div1 teams. That should be pretty tough in the end I think.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Start delayed until 7:10 pm; chess.com server reboot at 7 pm