ECF Online County Championship

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Nick Grey

Re: ECF Online County Championship

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:05 pm

Good luck all.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Just wondering if there is any prospect of getting something like the match summary & link pages that the 4NCL online has been producing?

As is its basically impossible to spectate on, and won’t be great for judging what to do in an ongoing match. A non trivial effort, I’m aware, so I can definitely understand if not.

I’m honestly a bit surprised that the platforms don’t properly support matches as a standard thing but such is life.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:29 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:59 pm
Just wondering if there is any prospect of getting something like the match summary & link pages that the 4NCL online has been producing?

As is its basically impossible to spectate on, and won’t be great for judging what to do in an ongoing match. A non trivial effort, I’m aware, so I can definitely understand if not.

I’m honestly a bit surprised that the platforms don’t properly support matches as a standard thing but such is life.
It is very difficult to run an event like this online and I sympathise with those who are working hard to try and make it a success.

It looks as though we're going to have to wait a bit for today's results. An announcement on the League Management System page states that "Results will appear here later in the week".

At present I don't know the results of any of the games in the match in which I played, including my own game. I'll comment further about the last point when I do know the results.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Why not follow the 4ncl online model which has worked well, and allows the matches to be followed?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:21 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:

That would be good

Having expected to be white against Middlesex B, finding I was black against Leics v an ex-Chorlton player I played in the Manchester League years ago was a surprise; even more so when he'd set the wrong time control :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

RobertStarley

Post by RobertStarley » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:53 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
chess.com does have a team match function which works very well but for some reason the ECF choose not to use it and instead make us do everything manually and as inefficiently as possible

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:37 pm

RobertStarley wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:53 pm
chess.com does have a team match function which works very well but for some reason the ECF choose not to use it and instead make us do everything manually and as inefficiently as possible

I had similar thoughts.

The list of rules was impressively huge and onerous : maybe some enjoy creating these things ?

What was the reasoning for starting at 6.30pm rather than say, 2pm ?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:47 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:37 pm
There would otherwise be a clash with a Zoom or similar ECF Council meeting in a few weeks time.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:21 am

John Upham wrote:
Has it escaped your notice that horse racing is back?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:36 am

RobertStarley wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:
My Brother thinks the teams matches are auto arranged in grading order? (By default at least.).

That's online grades of course, which would make it very much unusable for things like county chess. Might not be an entirely trivial programming modification to let people enter their 'real world' grades and use those instead.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:37 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:21 am
John Upham wrote:
Has it escaped your notice that horse racing is back?
Yes, I was unaware of the connection.

If darts returns at 7pm will that also have an impact?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:15 am

Repeated post - to be deleted.
Last edited by John McKenna on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:18 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:21 pm

SNIP

Having expected to be white against Middlesex B, finding I was black against Leics v an ex-Chorlton player I played in the Manchester League years ago was a surprise; even more so when he'd set the wrong time control :roll:
I can't get away from the basic fact that for me now, playing chess is only ok when it is enjoyable
"One can end up, let us say, more bitter than happy." (Oscar Panno)

https://en.chessbase.com/post/oscar-pan ... rview-2005

RobertStarley

Post by RobertStarley » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:36 am
RobertStarley wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:
My Brother thinks the teams matches are auto arranged in grading order? (By default at least.).

That's online grades of course, which would make it very much unusable for things like county chess. Might not be an entirely trivial programming modification to let people enter their 'real world' grades and use those instead.
Yes, chess.com team matches have board order auto set by online rating. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, online ratings are after all a better indicator of online performance than over the board ratings. You would just have to encourage those players who are new to the site to play enough games on there to get a representative rating.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:33 am

Speaking as a captain I found it approximately ten times more stressful and time consuming than organising a team and playing in an OTB county match. I really miss the social aspects, travelling, meeting people and so forth. But it is chess, although not as we know it (and we won our match by 1 point - I think).