ECF Online County Championship

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
NickFaulks

Re: ECF Online County Championship

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:47 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:50 pm
sandboxed very strongly
Is that something to do with social distancing?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:19 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:12 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:45 am
"Speaking as a captain I found it approximately ten times more stressful and time consuming than organising a team and playing in an OTB county match."

Except, you can be fairly confident that your players can navigate their way to their computer, maybe not on time, admittedly. And you don't get to the venue to be told it has been changed at the last minute!
or that the home captain has forgotten the equipment. Was there an instance in a county match when players were asked to fashion boards out of paper ?
Yes, Lincolnshire U120 v Nottinghamshire U120.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:36 pm

Norfolk won 7-5 Vs Yorkshire. About a 50/50 match on paper team strength rather than an upset.

It's actually interesting to think who might be favourites in this format.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:55 pm
Phil Neatherway wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:29 pm
My window crashed a couple of times. Fortunately, when I restored the session, it picked up where it left off. Did anyone else have a similar experience?
I still don't have an official result for my game. When that is decided, I shall come back to comment.
I've got you as one of 7 Surrey wins v G Man, with the only other game where it appears your player didn't issue a challenge

G Man v Leics was 1 - 2 in wins, plus my game voided I expect
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:45 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
I still don't have an official result for my game. When that is decided, I shall come back to comment.
Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 pm
I've got you as one of 7 Surrey wins v G Man, with the only other game where it appears your player didn't issue a challenge
Mick, thanks for your help, but I don't want to comment until I receive a relevant communication from Surrey or from the Controller.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:11 pm

G Man v Surrey now scored as a draw in that game

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:44 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:11 pm
G Man v Surrey now scored as a draw in that game
Thanks again. I hope to stop behaving like a trappiest soon.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:39 pm

Back to actual competition, from those teams (obviously not at all reliable!!) it looks like Northumberland are currently favourites.

Norfolk quite good as well. But maybe the traditional giants will wake up in the competition proper.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:13 pm

Yes, we've noted that; G Man have Northumberland in the open and Norfolk in the u1825

Jon Underwood

Post by Jon Underwood » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:33 am
Speaking as a captain I found it approximately ten times more stressful and time consuming than organising a team and playing in an OTB county match. I really miss the social aspects, travelling, meeting people and so forth. But it is chess, although not as we know it (and we won our match by 1 point - I think).
I also found this though it wasn't helped by my email putting everything from Mark Murrell in spam for a while.

On the plus side though there are names competing that nobody has seen for years which is brilliant. Even though the chess.com platform is not really up to the task, I applaud the massive amount of work the organisers have done to get this to happen. They deserve some sort of commendation.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:45 pm
Mick, thanks for your help, but I don't want to comment until I receive a relevant communication from Surrey or from the Controller.
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:44 pm
Thanks again. I hope to stop behaving like a trappiest soon.
My apologies to everyone for not coming back here sooner. I was notified of the outcome on Monday, but I have been rather preoccupied since.

My opponent made a speculative piece sacrifice on his 8th move. After sharp play in which we both made mistakes, we reached a complex position which subsequent computer analysis assessed as 0.00. I was considering my reply to his 17th move when a message flashed across my screen stating that he had gone offline. Almost immediately - no more than a few seconds later - another message appeared stating that he had resigned and that I had won.

As my opponent had clearly not resigned, I contacted the Technical Controller to ask what we should do. By then my opponent was back - he was gone a minute at the most - and I told him that I did not wish to claim the game. However, the Technical Controller said that it was not possible for us to continue.

After some discussion, I offered to call the game a draw subject to the agreement of my captain and of my county. This was forthcoming, and the Match Arbiter, the Chief Arbiter and the Controller all concurred.

I should like to mention that my opponent and his county behaved impeccably. Indeed, the latter initially reported the outcome as a win for me, as was reported upthread.

However, I would have been very unhappy if I had not been allowed to agree a draw, especially as it was a trial match. My opponent had done nothing wrong and Chess.com alleged that he had resigned when he clearly had not. I like to think that I would never wish to treat an opponent unfairly.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:11 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 pm
I was considering my reply to his 17th move when a message flashed across my screen stating that he had gone offline. Almost immediately - no more than a few seconds later - another message appeared stating that he had resigned and that I had won.
It's common that servers treat disconnect as resigns. Indeed some players do this as a petulant way of resigning. That's a little better than the alternative of letting their time run out. ( lichess puts a time limit on inactivity at Blitz where you can claim the game or concede a draw).

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:44 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:03 pm
As my opponent had clearly not resigned, I contacted the Technical Controller to ask what we should do. By then my opponent was back - he was gone a minute at the most - and I told him that I did not wish to claim the game. However, the Technical Controller said that it was not possible for us to continue.
So chess.com hasn't got anything equivalent to this - https://lichess.org/editor/r1bqkb1r/ppp ... KQkq_-_0_1 - which appears to allow you to set up any position with any clock times and resume your game from where the disconnection occurred?

It looks like it would work with the proviso that you'd have to initially set the clocks to the time that the player with more time remaining had, and then let the other player run their clock down to whatever they had left before moving.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:44 pm
So chess.com hasn't got anything equivalent to this - https://lichess.org/editor/r1bqkb1r/ppp ... KQkq_-_0_1 - which appears to allow you to set up any position with any clock times and resume your game from where the disconnection occurred?
That certainly exists and was used in the one game that got disconnected in the Steinitz Memorial. I don't know though what level of access is required to use it. The player did enter the position and BOTH clock times. It was then treated by the software as a new game so after the position was entered a new challenge had to be issued.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:59 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:20 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:44 pm
That certainly exists and was used in the one game that got disconnected in the Steinitz Memorial. I don't know though what level of access is required to use it. The player did enter the position and BOTH clock times. It was then treated by the software as a new game so after the position was entered a new challenge had to be issued.
Surely the Steinitz Memorial was on Chess24, not Chess.com.

https://www.fide.com/news/517