2010/11 Championship

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
David Sedgwick

Re: 2010/11 Championship

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:56 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:
But make no mistake; the number of teams competing in the National Stages is no measure of the health or otherwise of the county championships. We could change the rules to give each Union 4 nominations to the final stages but that wouldn't mean the competition is healthier than it is now. The only true measure is the number of teams entering the Union stages, and that has been in decline for some years.
I disagree fundamentally with you here.

If each Union were to be given four nominations to the National Stages, they wouldn't all be able to fill them, or, if they did, a significant number of the teams would not be competitive.

The beauty of the present set-up is that:

a) where a Union can stage a worthwhile competition at the Union stages, three competitive teams emerge therefrom for the National Stages;
b) even where a Union cannot stage a worthwhile competition at the Union stages, it can nevertheless nominate two competitive teams in the National Stages in almost all cases.

Hence the present number of nominations (two or three) is just about right.

The ECF is responsible for the National Stages. There were indeed significant problems a few years ago. The ECF has successfully addressed them.

Any problems that remain are at Union level and hence the responsibility of the Unions.
Sean Hewitt wrote:Though not in the SCCU, so that's alright.
This discussion started because Nottinghamshire defaulted all their Open Division matches this season. There are a number of steps the MCCU might take to address that situation. Denigrating the SCCU is not one of the more sensible options.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:10 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
But make no mistake; the number of teams competing in the National Stages is no measure of the health or otherwise of the county championships. We could change the rules to give each Union 4 nominations to the final stages but that wouldn't mean the competition is healthier than it is now. The only true measure is the number of teams entering the Union stages, and that has been in decline for some years.
I disagree fundamentally with you here.

If each Union were to be given four nominations to the National Stages, they wouldn't all be able to fill them, or, if they did, a significant number of the teams would not be competitive.
Of course they wouldn't be competitive, and that's precisely the point. They wouldn't be competitive because the current set up favours large counties. Because the SCCU has more large counties than any other Union the county scene appears to be rosy there.
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:Though not in the SCCU, so that's alright.
This discussion started because Nottinghamshire defaulted all their Open Division matches this season. There are a number of steps the MCCU might take to address that situation. Denigrating the SCCU is not one of the more sensible options.
The origin of the discussion is not really relevant. The salient point is that every Union, apart from the SCCU, struggles with the current county set up. That's not denigrating the SCCU but whilst that remains the case the SCCU fails to recognise the need for improvement nationally.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Somerset beat Cornwall 9½-4½ and are WECU champions.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:49 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Somerset beat Cornwall 9½-4½ and are WECU champions.
:D :D :D :D :D

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:43 pm

What is the draw for the county championship now, are the northerners winning it again?
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Ben Purton wrote:What is the draw for the county championship now, are the northerners winning it again?
'tis here http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=36

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Could we encourage Adrian to add known teams to this table, as Richard Haddrell does at http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/matchbcf.htm

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:43 pm

I think the official entries are made by the Unions at the end of this month

The SCCU update is unofficial, but very welcome
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:25 pm

I agree that changes to the competition are long overdue, and have suggested changes to eligability rules, and the actual event structure. We need to rid ourselves of the 3-stage Finals (plus a Preliminary), which many counties find burdonsome & time consuming, particularly during the summer months. Maybe just one KO round, followed by a Finals `jamboree style`, might be better.
One other change that might help is to `force` Unions with minimal qualifying competitions to enter at least one qualifier into the Preliminary rounds. I do note that some counties have a heavy schedule of qualifier games, which I think puts them at a disadvantage to others.
However, the other point I`d make is the very limited time between completing the Qualifiers stage & playing the Nat. Preliminaries, which makes it very difficult to arrange teams and choose venues etc, particularly if qualifiers arent known til the end of March.
BRING BACK THE BCF

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Could we encourage Adrian to add known teams to this table
I have copied the MCCU teams that have performed sufficiently well to receive an offer of nomination and the provisional teams offered from the SCCU site in the MCCU website at: http://www.mccu.org.uk/cm10-11/national/national.htm. These lists remain provisional until we know whether teams are willing to accept nomination. I'll do my best to report the MCCU position as soon as I hear from the MCCU controller or team captains.

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Worcestershire beat Staffordshire Bulldogs by the narrowest of margins in the Under 120 section today. 6.5 to 5.5.

We will play NCCU 2 in the quarterfinals. There doesn't seem to be anything about this years competition on the NCCU website. Anyone know which county is NCCU2 in the u120?

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Michele Clack wrote
Anyone know which county is NCCU2 in the u120?
I understand that this is Yorkshire.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed May 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Yorkshire have conceded their match against Staffordshire that was due to be played on May 21st.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed May 11, 2011 9:17 pm

LozCooper wrote:Yorkshire have conceded their match against Staffordshire that was due to be played on May 21st.
David Pardoe usually says that Yorkshire should split up, because they could easily field three teams; one for each Riding. Apparently not...

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
LozCooper wrote:Yorkshire have conceded their match against Staffordshire that was due to be played on May 21st.
David Pardoe usually says that Yorkshire should split up, because they could easily field three teams; one for each Riding. Apparently not...
It appears a clash with a weekend tournament meant they were unable to get a team out. After our surprise win against them last year I was expecting them to turn out a mega team that would blow us away :?