2012 National Stages

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Sean Hewitt

Re: 2012 National Stages

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon May 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:How do arbiters handle things if there are more issues requiring their attention than arbiters available?
The smart ones use increments :lol:

In all seriousness, it's not unknown for an arbiter to observe 2, 3, 4 or more time scrambles. It's one reason why arbiters lay out clocks so that they can see several simultaneously.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon May 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:How do arbiters handle things if there are more issues requiring their attention than arbiters available?
This can of course be a real problem, particularly where the potential problems are in different rooms, or far apart from each other in a fairly large hall.

There are basically three options:

1. You use your best judgment as to the board at which you are most likely to be needed, or which is potentially the most important, and go to that board.
2. You don't go to any board, but instead ensure that you are readily visible in a prominent location, such as the control desk, so that you can be called immediately if there is a problem anywhere.
3. You disappear for a coffee, or something stronger, leaving the players to sort out their own problems.

Option 3 doesn't get you many marks in arbiter examinations.

Option 1 will usually be preferable to Option 2, but not invariably so.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon May 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks to those who commented earlier - we have now booked Water Orton for our U160 semi v Herts
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon May 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:No, the money has been spent in case all the finalists want to play at the central venue, not wasted - how much was it, by the way?
The cost this year is £600.

The money has been wasted if we book a venue that's twice the size we need. We could have spent £300 on the venue to achieve the same thing, but we'd have actually spent £600.
I don't really think the cost argument for the ECF has much validity for a couple of reasons. The first the obvious, unarguable IMO, point made by Mick. The cost is a sunk cost - it makes no ultimate difference to the finances of the ECF whether any individual final is played at the central venue, or elsewhere at the expense of the two teams involved. The second, concerning "wasteage" is that there is a compromise available - for teams to be required to cover their share of the cost of the central venue if they mutally choose to play elsewhere. At probably £40-50 per team (based on the £600 figure quoted by Alex) I'm sure that those teams that felt strongly about the issue would pay up.

As it happens i have no particular opinion of the issue - it would make no difference to my decision to play, provided i was available. I can see the attraction of a "finals day", held at a central venue. My comments earlier were just pointing out an inconsistency in what i think was the intention of the rule change proposed, and its application in practice.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue May 22, 2012 9:23 am

Another result has arrived in my inbox:

U140: Lancashire beat Warwickshire 11.5-4.5

I'm about to notify the webmaster of these to put the full results online.

For troublemakers like Chris ( :wink: ) who hoped for a Yorkshire appeal in their Open game against Somerset, I can announce that they have no intention to appeal the result of the match.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue May 22, 2012 10:36 am

Final result is in:

U120: Lancashire beat Worcestershire 6-6 (20-22 on board count)

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue May 22, 2012 12:16 pm

The great `population advantage` clearly shows through in this years `Open` section. With the South East corner accounting for about one-third of Englands population...and M1, M2, M3 only opposed by the west country. Maybe the latter can do a `Chelsea` and confound the odds.
However, the Qtr Finals looked fairly well matched, and certainly Yorks result was quite a surprise...shock for some. Only in chess can you `win` a lost game....(perhaps not). With hindsight, what would you do different....its the problem of chess being reduced to a lottery by time scrambles.
Returning...
Can our `regions` do better in the other sections....
I guess many may think we should revert back to the `old grade bands`, ie, U175, U150, etc... I certainly think this has merit.
I`d like to see the finals stages streamlined, maybe by combining the Semi`s & the Finals into a 2-day, 2-round Jamboree format....to produce a showcase event similar to that run by 4NCL Finals...at (say), Hinckley. (Players may consider playing on one or both days...for those who dont wish to commit a whole w/e...).
Maybe the ECF should send out a questionaire to each of the county & Union bodies seeking views on this and other possible areas of improvement.
With greater publicity/Press coverage, etc...it would be good if this event could help bring our noble game into the public gaze (raise the profile...boost Membership...an extra 20% rise in numbers would be good) ...more importantly...to help in the campaign to boost numbers of new players in our clubs and leagues.
One of the great features of county chess is that it provides another platform for players to gain experience and rise through the ranks. But also, its a great opportunity for many players to meet those from neighbouring counties/regions, and engage in `friendly` rivalry...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 am

"CG? You're far more advanced than that surely? "

I have said that to FIDG (Federation Internationale Des Grognons), but their President (Sir Alex Ferguson) said I had nothing to complain about and there was a long waiting list, especially from this forum.

Anyway, I will belabour my point and say that arbiters should actually look at the games when there are time-scrambles, especially when the match is very close.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun May 27, 2012 7:55 am

Was perusing the semi-final line-ups for the National Stages, and I noticed that four counties have three teams in the semi-finals and one has four. I'm sure this is not a record, but does anyone know what the records are for getting large numbers of teams across the grading bands (including the Minor section when that was established) to the preliminary/QF/SF/F/winner parts of the national stages? And have there ever been years when no county got more than one team to the semis and/or finals? Some details on how much the number of grade-limited sections has varied over the years and when that grade-banding started would be helpful as well, I know I could look some of the results up, but not sure how far back they go.

For this year (2011-2012), the semi-finals are:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=36

U100:
Yorkshire vs Essex
Nottinghamshire vs Kent

U120:
Hertfordshire vs Lancashire
Warwickshire vs Essex

U140:
Lancashire vs Surrey
Hertfordshire vs Worcestershire

U160:
Nottinghamshire vs Yorkshire
Hertfordshire vs Greater Manchester

U180:

Middlesex vs Surrey
Yorkshire vs Lancashire

Minor:

Hertfordshire vs Hampshire
Essex vs Leicestershire

Open:

Somerset vs Middlesex
Sussex vs Surrey

Total for counties at QF stages for 2011-2012 season:

Hertfordshire (4)
Essex (3)
Lancashire (3)
Surrey (3)
Yorkshire (3)
Middlesex (2)
Nottinghamshire (2)
Greater Manchester (1)
Hampshire (1)
Kent (1)
Leicestershire (1)
Somerset (1)
Sussex (1)
Warwickshire (1)
Worcestershire (1)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 27, 2012 8:25 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I know I could look some of the results up, but not sure how far back they go.
There's little more than twenty years of history for the grade limited competitions and about another ten years for the second and third team competitions that preceded them. The Minor Counties, which originally contained second teams dates back to the late seventies. The central venues issue dates back to the earlier expansions. The grade limit in the Minor Counties is an innovation in the last fifteen years.

Prior to the growth of Congresses, county matches could be logistical monsters. For example the largest SCCU counties of Kent, Surrey, Middlesex and Essex would play 75 board matches. You needed a Congress sized venue to cope. They even had central venues such as the Royal Festival Hall where nearly all the matches for a weekend would take place.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun May 27, 2012 8:46 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I know I could look some of the results up, but not sure how far back they go.
There's little more than twenty years of history for the grade limited competitions and about another ten years for the second and third team competitions that preceded them. The Minor Counties, which originally contained second teams dates back to the late seventies. The central venues issue dates back to the earlier expansions. The grade limit in the Minor Counties is an innovation in the last fifteen years.

Prior to the growth of Congresses, county matches could be logistical monsters. For example the largest SCCU counties of Kent, Surrey, Middlesex and Essex would play 75 board matches. You needed a Congress sized venue to cope. They even had central venues such as the Royal Festival Hall where nearly all the matches for a weekend would take place.
Interesting. I'd forgotten that county matches were larger in the past, and had not realised they were that large. It is also interesting that at those larger sizes they were effectively a way for many active chess players to have a game of chess at weekends, though still only one game on one day I presume, and not the several games over several days that congresses offered later. You don't know the exact progression of the size of the congress matches and how it was decided how many boards to play, do you? I wonder if any pictures survive from when the Royal Festival Hall was used? What date would that have been (the Royal Festival Hall opened in 1951)?

I Googled 'chess + Royal Festival Hall + county' and discovered that 'The first Mind Sports Olympiad was held in London's Royal Festival Hall in 1997', but not much else so far. Maybe we should resume this subthred in a new thread in the 'history' section?

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun May 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:For this year (2011-2012), the semi-finals are:

U100:
Yorkshire vs Essex
Nottinghamshire vs Kent

U120:
Warwickshire vs Essex

U140:
Lancashire vs Surrey

U160:

U180:

Middlesex vs Surrey
Yorkshire vs Lancashire

Minor:

Essex vs Leicestershire

Open:

Somerset vs Middlesex
Sussex vs Surrey
Which means, I think, that we could potentially have 5 all SCCU finals.

Aside from demonstrating that the current rules (grading limits and no of boards ) favour large counties (such as most of those in the SCCU) I foresee a huge 'why do we have to trek to Leicester' debate.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun May 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:For this year (2011-2012), the semi-finals are:

U100:
Yorkshire vs Essex
Nottinghamshire vs Kent

U120:
Warwickshire vs Essex

U140:
Lancashire vs Surrey

U160:

U180:

Middlesex vs Surrey
Yorkshire vs Lancashire

Minor:

Essex vs Leicestershire

Open:

Somerset vs Middlesex
Sussex vs Surrey
Which means, I think, that we could potentially have 5 all SCCU finals.

Aside from demonstrating that the current rules (grading limits and no of boards ) favour large counties (such as most of those in the SCCU) I foresee a huge 'why do we have to trek to Leicester' debate.
As Richard Haddrell has said on the SCCU website, chicken counting would be unwise. There have been previous occasions when SCCU teams have done well in the Quarter Finals, only to suffer a series of defeats in the Semi Finals. There could be five all SCCU Finals, or there could be none at all.

However, I think congratulations to Hertfordshire are in order. They are not a large county by any means, but all four of their teams will be playing in the Semi Finals.

As to the arrangements for Finals Day, that topic has been debated extensively up thread. Ever the optimist, I live in hope that if there are five all SCCU Finals, or even a smaller number, those teams won't all be forced to trek to Leicester.

I'll leave it there for now.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun May 27, 2012 4:27 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:Hertfordshire...are not a large county by any means.
They're not a large county by SCCU standards it's true, but it's all a matter of perception I guess. According to the grading list, there are 393 players with a current standard play grade who are listed for at least one club affiliated to Hertfordshire. By comparison, Leicestershire have 203. There are SCCU counties who have 600+ players.

But congratulations are certainly due to Hertfordshire because getting that many teams through the SCCU qualifying stages is no mean feat!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:44 pm

First Semi result:

U100: Essex beat Yorkshire 12-0 (default)