Middlesex county footage on youtube

Discussion about all aspects of the ECF County Championships.
Nick Ivell
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Middlesex county footage on youtube

Post by Nick Ivell » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:59 pm

To be fair, it was your captain who insisted on playing there. Surrey wanted to play elsewhere. :wink:[/quote]

I don't think my captain had ever seen the place. He took on trust that it was suitable. I defy anyone to say that it was, in fact, suitable. Any comments from Surrey?

No sour grapes from me, of course! I managed a textbook endgame swindle to secure an interesting draw.

Nick Ivell
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Middlesex county footage on youtube

Post by Nick Ivell » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Nick

Your quarter-final venue, Newcastle-under-Lyme, is the best I have played in this season

The worst, of course, was your home venue
http://www.lancashirechess.com/index.ph ... -open-2012
No complaints about Newcastle-under-Lyme. Splendid venue. I was referring to the Surrey match.

As for the venue in Heywood, far be it from me to defend it. I am old-fashioned enough to like a back for my chair!

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8390
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Middlesex county footage on youtube

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:To be fair, it was your captain who insisted on playing there. Surrey wanted to play elsewhere. :wink:
I don't think my captain had ever seen the place. He took on trust that it was suitable. I defy anyone to say that it was, in fact, suitable. Any comments from Surrey?

No sour grapes from me, of course! I managed a textbook endgame swindle to secure an interesting draw.
There was a bit of a dispute about the mid-point between Surrey and Lancashire that Bill O'Rourke decided to involve himself in. I was told in no uncertain terms that Surrey's proposed venue (Rugby) wasn't a mid-point at all, and that the match had to be played somewhere near Leicester. Having apparently convinced Bill that it was none of our business, and we should leave it to the captains to decide where to play, the match ended up being played near Leicester. So based on the evidence, it seems to be Lancashire who booked thing.

Nick Ivell
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Middlesex county footage on youtube

Post by Nick Ivell » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Nick Ivell wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:To be fair, it was your captain who insisted on playing there. Surrey wanted to play elsewhere. :wink:
I don't think my captain had ever seen the place. He took on trust that it was suitable. I defy anyone to say that it was, in fact, suitable. Any comments from Surrey?

No sour grapes from me, of course! I managed a textbook endgame swindle to secure an interesting draw.
There was a bit of a dispute about the mid-point between Surrey and Lancashire that Bill O'Rourke decided to involve himself in. I was told in no uncertain terms that Surrey's proposed venue (Rugby) wasn't a mid-point at all, and that the match had to be played somewhere near Leicester. Having apparently convinced Bill that it was none of our business, and we should leave it to the captains to decide where to play, the match ended up being played near Leicester. So based on the evidence, it seems to be Lancashire who booked thing.
I heard about the dispute. Leaving geography aside for a moment, I don't think anyone could claim the venue was acceptable for 16 boards. I certainly will not be playing there again.

Mick Norris
Posts: 6869
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: Middlesex county footage on youtube

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Nick

Your quarter-final venue, Newcastle-under-Lyme, is the best I have played in this season

The worst, of course, was your home venue
http://www.lancashirechess.com/index.ph ... -open-2012
No complaints about Newcastle-under-Lyme. Splendid venue. I was referring to the Surrey match.

As for the venue in Heywood, far be it from me to defend it. I am old-fashioned enough to like a back for my chair!
Me too, but we were still subjected to it after you subjected Yorkshire to it :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Nick Ivell
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Middlesex county footage on youtube

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:11 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Nick Ivell wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Nick

Your quarter-final venue, Newcastle-under-Lyme, is the best I have played in this season

The worst, of course, was your home venue
http://www.lancashirechess.com/index.ph ... -open-2012
No complaints about Newcastle-under-Lyme. Splendid venue. I was referring to the Surrey match.

As for the venue in Heywood, far be it from me to defend it. I am old-fashioned enough to like a back for my chair!
Me too, but we were still subjected to it after you subjected Yorkshire to it :roll:
My back ached for weeks afterwards. For the avoidance of doubt, I make the following declaration: I refuse to play another game of chess on a stool! My days of putting up with anything as a junior have long gone.

Post Reply