Page 1 of 4
Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:55 pm
by Neil Graham
I've opened a new thread for the semi-finals - as there are still quarter-finals taking place on the coming weekend.
I attach Mick Norris's summary to date :-
Semi-finals so far:
Open - Yorks v Surrey; Kent v Lancs
Minor - Suffolk v Leics; Lincs v Norfolk
U160 - Middlesex v Lancs; Yorks v Notts
U120 - Herts v Essex; Worcs v Middlesex/Warks
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:35 pm
by Michael Farthing
Hey this is discrimination! I see in the u120 the undecided quarter final is included in the listing. So what's wrong with the u140 getting the same treatment? This is pure grade-ism. [I don't mind about u180 or u100 - you can be as grade-ist as you like there

]
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 pm
by Neil Graham
Michael Farthing wrote:Hey this is discrimination! I see in the u120 the undecided quarter final is included in the listing. So what's wrong with the u140 getting the same treatment? This is pure grade-ism. [I don't mind about u180 or u100 - you can be as grade-ist as you like there

]
This is because the U180, U140 and U100 aren't being played till this weekend.
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:59 am
by Nick Grey
Neil thanks for the reminder and best wishes to all for next weekend.
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:19 am
by Roger de Coverly
Neil Graham wrote:
This is because the U180, U140 and U100 aren't being played till this weekend.
Wasn't there something of a debate about this at a recent Council meeting? Splitting the weekends can make it a bit easier for counties to field full teams, since they can use overlapping players. For the finals they have to have distinct teams with all the matches played simultaneously.
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:42 am
by Mick Norris
Semi-finals so far:
Open - Yorks v Surrey; Kent v Lancs
Minor - Suffolk v Leics; Lincs v Norfolk
U160 - Middlesex v Lancs; Yorks v Notts
U120 - Herts v Essex; Worcs v Middlesex
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:13 am
by Nick Grey
U180 Surrey v Devon.
So I'll have a cream tea this afternoon.
Best wishes for matches today.
Thanks for the posts on the quarter-final thread.
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:03 pm
by Mick Norris
U100 - Warks v Notts; Surrey v Lancs/Leics
U140 - Yorks v Notts; Worcs v Lancs/Herts
U180 - Surrey v Devon; Middlesex v Lancs/Essex
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:02 am
by Neil Graham
Mick Norris wrote:Semi-finals
Open - Yorks v Surrey; Kent v Lancs
Minor - Suffolk v Leics; Lincs v Norfolk
U180- Surrey v Devon; Middlesex v Essex
U160 - Middlesex v Lancs; Yorks v Notts
U140 - Yorkshire v Notts; Lancs v Worcester
U120 - Herts v Essex; Worcs v Middlesex
U100 - Leics v Surrey; Warwicks v Notts
Union semi-finalists SCCU 10; MCCU 9; NCCU 6; EACU 2; WECU 1.
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
Neil Graham wrote:Mick Norris wrote:Semi-finals
Open - Yorks v Surrey; Kent v Lancs
Minor - Suffolk v Leics; Lincs v Norfolk
U180- Surrey v Devon; Middlesex v Essex
U160 - Middlesex v Lancs; Yorks v Notts
U140 - Yorkshire v Notts; Lancs v Worcester
U120 - Herts v Essex; Worcs v Middlesex
U100 - Leics v Surrey; Warwicks v Notts
Union semi-finalists SCCU 10; MCCU 9; NCCU 6; EACU 2; WECU 1.
In other words, more spread out than usual, and the possibility of an all-Northern Open Final for the first time since (? ever?!)
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm
by Alan Walton
Jonathan Rogers wrote:In other words, more spread out than usual, and the possibility of an all-Northern Open Final for the first time since (? ever?!)
I do remember that Greater Manchester beat Lancashire back in the mid-2000s
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:28 pm
by Nick Grey
Possibility of a SCCU Open final since 2012-13
Also possibility of SCCU 180 final too.
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:16 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
"I do remember that Greater Manchester beat Lancashire back in the mid-2000s"
I'm guessing that wasn't entirely greeted with equanimity?
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:18 pm
by Alan Walton
Kevin Thurlow wrote:"I do remember that Greater Manchester beat Lancashire back in the mid-2000s"
I'm guessing that wasn't entirely greeted with equanimity?
Who cares we absolutely battered them
Re: Semi-Final Draw
Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:27 pm
by Jonathan Rogers
Alan Walton wrote:Jonathan Rogers wrote:In other words, more spread out than usual, and the possibility of an all-Northern Open Final for the first time since (? ever?!)
I do remember that Greater Manchester beat Lancashire back in the mid-2000s
As well you might! But it wasn't (technically), in the English county chess world, an all-Northern final.