Euro 21

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
NickFaulks

Re: Euro 21

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:07 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:44 am
This year? I thought Nick was referring to the Coronavirus Bill powers enacted last year?
Thanks, Christopher. I was indeed.

I find it difficult to explain to people living outside the UK the full horror of what is being done here. That are simply incapable of believing that it could be possible.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:01 pm

As far as I'm aware, the considerable powers granted by the Coronavirus Act do not actually include rule by decree, which is a particular thing, not a raft of measures.
NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:07 am
I find it difficult to explain to people living outside the UK the full horror of what is being done here.
Well to be honest it's more likely that similar restrictions have been in place in other cpuntries too, and similar debates and controversies have taken place elsewhere. (My movements, for instance, have been rather more restricted where I live than would be the case if I lived in the UK.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:42 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
I find it difficult to explain to people living outside the UK the full horror of what is being done here. That are simply incapable of believing that it could be possible.
Perhaps because there is a divergence between your description and the reality. Most British people don't share your view of what is happening here. If anything, they want tighter restrictions.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:35 am

A half-dozen French soccer fans gamely traveled to Bucharest, Romania, to watch their squad compete in the Euro 2020 championships earlier this week. The only problem: The game instead took place in Budapest, some 500 miles away.  “It’s like we’re in the movie ‘Home Alone’,” lamented one of the stranded fans to Romania’s Jurnalul National. “For me, until today, there was no difference between Bucharest and Budapest. We need to learn more about Europe.” 
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:14 am

"“For me, until today, there was no difference between Bucharest and Budapest. We need to learn more about Europe.” "

Yes - it reminds me of a work colleague who was instructed to arrange flights and hotel for a team of 4 to go to Prague for a meeting. When asked if he had done it, he said, "Yes - and I've never been to Slovakia before, I'm really looking forward to it." The boss, never one for screaming at 120 decibels when he could scream at 130 decibels, was almost foaming at the mouth that the guy had bought the wrong tickets. Somebody suggested that as long as he had booked for the right city, the country would follow...

However, reverting to the text. In the football, four best third-placed teams qualified for the last 16, Netherlands play "3rd place D/E/F", Belgium play 23rd place A/D/E/F", France play "3rd place A/B/C", Sweden play " 3rd place A/B/C/D". Those overlap obviously, but what were the rules for deciding which match these 3rd place teams contested? Or was it just fiddled to try and balance out the theoretical top teams?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:45 am

There is a chart on the Wikipedia page for the tournament that may be of assistance
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:42 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Perhaps because there is a divergence between your description and the reality. Most British people don't share your view of what is happening here. If anything, they want tighter restrictions.
I think that's true because they are afraid of snuffing it. Personally prefer it if there were no restrictions at all.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 pm

Who is the favourite in the England vs Germany game? I think we are aren't we?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:40 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:14 am
"“For me, until today, there was no difference between Bucharest and Budapest. We need to learn more about Europe.” "

Yes - it reminds me of a work colleague who was instructed to arrange flights and hotel for a team of 4 to go to Prague for a meeting. When asked if he had done it, he said, "Yes - and I've never been to Slovakia before, I'm really looking forward to it." The boss, never one for screaming at 120 decibels when he could scream at 130 decibels, was almost foaming at the mouth that the guy had bought the wrong tickets. Somebody suggested that as long as he had booked for the right city, the country would follow...

However, reverting to the text. In the football, four best third-placed teams qualified for the last 16, Netherlands play "3rd place D/E/F", Belgium play 23rd place A/D/E/F", France play "3rd place A/B/C", Sweden play " 3rd place A/B/C/D". Those overlap obviously, but what were the rules for deciding which match these 3rd place teams contested? Or was it just fiddled to try and balance out the theoretical top teams?
see table
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:18 pm

Ah, thanks for that - I should have realized they would compose a Ruddian table to decide it.

("Ruddian" intended as a compliment to indicate that every possible outcome has been considered!)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:25 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 pm
Personally prefer it if there were no restrictions at all.
So if asked in a Government poll "in order to save a million unnecessary deaths, would you give up a visit to a pub?", how would you respond?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:07 pm

I would say if you have to drink, then drink at home but whatever you do is your responsibility. I would give the option.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 pm

No you wouldn't, that's the point, you have no option. You have to say yes or no to their meaningless question.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:15 pm

I would say the exemplification of democracy in England is far from impressive.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:36 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 pm
Who is the favourite in the England vs Germany game? I think we are aren't we?
Spot check on bookies' odds: 'England 6/4, Germany 2/1, with no firm going shorter than 9/5'.

Perhaps home advantage at Wembley with a crowd swings it England's way.