Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
- John Upham
- Posts: 8361
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
Apparently Andrew Tate (who would appear to be someone I'd rather not know) is one of the sons of Emory Tate.
See https://uk.news.yahoo.com/who-is-andrew ... 11306.html
Emory was someone who Maurice Ashley wrote about enthusiastically.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emory_Tate
Its a a funny old world...
See https://uk.news.yahoo.com/who-is-andrew ... 11306.html
Emory was someone who Maurice Ashley wrote about enthusiastically.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emory_Tate
Its a a funny old world...
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22646
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Re: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
Also in Chess History
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13210
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13210
- John Upham
- Posts: 8361
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
I am grateful for the reference Roger.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
James Plaskett
- Posts: 362
- Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:36 pm
Re: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
Good God!
I last saw Emory Tate at an Open in Mallorca about ten years ago. He was one of my opponents in a simul I gave in Bedford in 1982. But I got to know him better at Ali Amin´s London café Chequers in 1984. He and another US Military guy drove me back to Bedford. It was pretty much understood that he worked at the Chicksands base in South Beds and that was for monitoring of Russian transmissions. But he would just smile if the subject of what he did was ever broached.
Fluent Russian.
I last saw Emory Tate at an Open in Mallorca about ten years ago. He was one of my opponents in a simul I gave in Bedford in 1982. But I got to know him better at Ali Amin´s London café Chequers in 1984. He and another US Military guy drove me back to Bedford. It was pretty much understood that he worked at the Chicksands base in South Beds and that was for monitoring of Russian transmissions. But he would just smile if the subject of what he did was ever broached.
Fluent Russian.
Last edited by James Plaskett on Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10964
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
That is really interesting. Any chance of more memories of Emory Tate and his military work?James Plaskett wrote: ↑Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 pmGood God!
I last saw Emory Tate at an Open in Mallorca about ten years ago. He was one of my opponents in a simul I gave in Bedford in 1982. But I got to know him better at Ali Amin´s London café Chequers in 1984. He and another US Military guy drove me back to Bedford. It was pretty much understood that he worked at the Chicksands base in South Beds and that was for monitoring of Russian transmissiobs. But he would just smile if the subject of what he did was ever broached. Fluent Russian.
- Kirk Gornall
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:13 am
- Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Re: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
I would recommend the book Triple Exclam!!! by Daaim Shabazz. It gives a fascinating insight into the life and chess games of Emory Tate. There are lots of pictures in the book too. He certainly had an aggressive and uncompromising playing style, and I would imagine he struck fear into many established GMs on the North American tournament circuit. I am sure that if he had been more devoted to chess and perhaps had some high level coaching, he would have attained the GM title.Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:48 amThat is really interesting. Any chance of more memories of Emory Tate and his military work?James Plaskett wrote: ↑Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:56 pmGood God!
I last saw Emory Tate at an Open in Mallorca about ten years ago. He was one of my opponents in a simul I gave in Bedford in 1982. But I got to know him better at Ali Amin´s London café Chequers in 1984. He and another US Military guy drove me back to Bedford. It was pretty much understood that he worked at the Chicksands base in South Beds and that was for monitoring of Russian transmissiobs. But he would just smile if the subject of what he did was ever broached. Fluent Russian.
-
James Plaskett
- Posts: 362
- Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:36 pm
Re: Andrew Tate and Emory Tate
BOTH Emory´s sons have now been charged with rape... and other serious stuff too.