Shogi

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Anthony Appleyard

Shogi

Post by Anthony Appleyard » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Please, do you know of any good internet forums about shogi? (Today I Google searched for "shogi forum", and I was swamped by a long list of planned big personal shogi-related meetings.)

John McKenna

Re: Shogi

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:33 am

Something suitable might be found at -

http://shogi.net/fesa/index.php?mid=8

James Plaskett

Re: Shogi

Post by James Plaskett » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Over thirty years ago I wrote a book in which, based upon a handful of games I had played with Les Blackstock, I forecast a big future for Shogi.
Game ends by checkmate...Chess King, Chess Rook, Chess Bishop...but pawns capture in the same manner in which they move. The last THREE ranks are the promotion zone.
There are no exchanges. The pieces of a side are represented not by colour but by the directions in which the script on them points and, when captured, are reversed to be kept at the side of the board and reintroduced into the fray at whim by the capturer.
Les and I played one game where he gave me a rook start and, after perhaps an hour, it was agreed drawn by the comparatively rare mechanism of "penetrating kings".
GM Davies also said, after a few games of Shogi, "This is a much better game than chess".