COVid19-What's wrong with UK?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: COVid19-What's wrong with UK?

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:09 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:47 pm
Upthread I asked -

So, who will be the next Prime Minister of the UK and when?

What do you think of Nigel Farage as a candidate for the position?

And do you think if he were in the job he just might do enough to stop the continuation of the vast majority of the myriads of border 'incursions' that successive UK goverments have just stood by and watched happen over the years?
1) Don't know, and don't know;

2) Very little, and his chances of actually getting the position are even less;

3) Probably not.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:16 pm

Thanks for the very concise answers, Matt. (Whenever I read you I do not regret not being on Twitter. And whenever I read Chandler the same applies to Facebook.)

You must believe border control is a hopeless case no matter who is in office.

All that leaves is open house then and a big sign saying -

WELCOME, ALL, TO THE UK (WARNING - YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER A STATE WHERE ALMOST NOTHING IS ANY LONGER FIT FOR PURPOSE. YOU'LL SOON BECOME ACCUSTOMED TO IT, THOUGH. HAVE A NICE STAY.)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Borders can be, and are, controlled. But there is nowhere in the world (save possibly N Korea) that stops *everyone* from getting in.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:31 pm

There are more significant issues at hand. The drive of neo-liberalism, fashoined by Reagan and Thatcher put priority over corporations than the general public, because that's where all the money is. Concerning the Oxford vaccine that just rolled out, Thailand for example just put another order of 35 million in, so that's 70 million on order sold. Why isn't the British public getting it first? Because no one can make money that way, that's why. Welcome to an auspicious neo-liberalism embedded in British politics. This is something Boris can't reverse by himself.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:39 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:31 pm
There are more significant issues at hand. The drive of neo-liberalism, fashoined by Reagan and Thatcher put priority over corporations than the general public, because that's where all the money is. Concerning the Oxford vaccine that just rolled out, Thailand for example just put another order of 35 million in, so that's 70 million on order sold. Why isn't the British public getting it first? Because no one can make money that way, that's why. Welcome to an auspicious neo-liberalism embedded in British politics. This is something Boris can't reverse by himself.
Bang on the money!

And your point about Boris is proven by his failure to deliver his promises on fisheries.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:48 pm

He's just a puppet, there isn't much he can do. He just oversees that already put in motion.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:01 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:31 pm
Even if he wanted to.

Which he does not.

Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:14 pm
Borders can be, and are, controlled. But there is nowhere in the world (save possibly N Korea) that stops *everyone* from getting in.
No, but you can test them when they do come in – when they come by authorized routes anyway – and then quarantine them if required. Of course we didn't bother to do that. No, what we did was encourage people to travel away and then bring more virus cases back with them.

Owen Jones has just done a 30 minute documentary cataloguing the government's failures. They've made mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake. I'd forgotten about half of them myself. It's almost unbelievable how incompetent they've been and are still being.

Here it is (if you can put up with the annoying background music): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NUZfFTxALI

There was also an end piece on Newsnight about what 78,000 deaths (the UK total last weeK) looks like. They used the example of the entire stadium of spectators at the 2012 Olympics. I prefer the geographical equivalent, which in local terms it is the entire population of Mansfield. Every person in every house in every street. All dead.
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:29 pm

Jon Tait wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:41 pm
There was also an end piece on Newsnight about what 78,000 deaths (the UK total last weeK) looks like.
Putting that in context, the annual total in England and Wales was just over half a million in 2019. The weekly totals were around 10,000, higher in winter, lower in summer.

This extremely long URL links to the statistics.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:29 pm
Jon Tait wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:41 pm
There was also an end piece on Newsnight about what 78,000 deaths (the UK total last weeK) looks like.
Putting that in context, the annual total in England and Wales was just over half a million in 2019. The weekly totals were around 10,000, higher in winter, lower in summer.

This extremely long URL links to the statistics.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales
It's not finished yet -

"... Daily reported deaths from Covid within 28 days of a positive test have not yet exceeded those of the first wave, in part because of the introduction of medications such as dexamethasone, although deaths also lag infections and hospitalisations. But the death toll is climbing steeply, with a total of more than 100,000 deaths likely to be reached by the end of the month... "

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/covid-uk-why- ... 00068.html

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:29 pm

How many have died of flu in the same period?

Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:29 pm
Yes, thank you, I understand now. People die all the time, so tens of thousands of completely avoidable deaths hardly signify.
Last edited by Jon Tait on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

Mark D Podlesak

Post by Mark D Podlesak » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:14 pm

Hardly any flu deaths as because of general social distancing has stopped it spreading. It is much slower spreading than Covid.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm

Removed. What I should have said is in my later post.
Last edited by David Williams on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 pm

I mean, you do realise it is irony/sarcasm? Or do you still object to it despite that??