COVid19-What's wrong with UK?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

Re: COVid19-What's wrong with UK?

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:26 pm

"Of course, 20s hand-washing is very important, as it both kills germs and prevents both germs from spreading and your touching mouth, nose and eyes with unclean hands."

That's it and it was the first line of defence here (before "social distancing" was introduced) and is always good hygiene even at the best of times.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:56 am

What's the cost of testing for CoVID 19 in England?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 am

A UK high street retailer (pharmacy) is said to offer a COVID-19 antibody home-test kit - cost £69.

Free tests are also available from the National Health Service (NHS) for some. See below for details about tests -

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/05/co ... -test-kit/

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am

"A UK high street retailer (pharmacy) is said to offer a COVID-19 antibody home-test kit - cost £69."

I would be very wary of paying for anything like this, especially if you are doing your own sampling (which is easy to get wrong). The tests may be legitimate of course, but as always, seek medical advice (if you can persuade a doctor to see you!)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 pm

Many thanks

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:26 am

What, to you, looks like main reason the government is using the virus for? The old divide and conquer addage?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:28 am

Apologies for I have been away from home for a long while now but is it illegal in England for the government to treat people like adults and not children. Offer suggestions rather than tell people what to do.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:59 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:26 am
What, to you, looks like main reason the government is using the virus for? The old divide and conquer addage?
Huh?
How can a virus be used by a government?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:48 pm

I think this is a linguistic issue: the government isn't using the virus directly, so much as exploiting the situation the virus has brought about.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:49 am

Yes, I had got it, but how do you think British government is trying to fish in troubled waters?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:19 pm

They see themselves as like a bridge over troubled waters so when you are weary and feeling small they will ease your mind. And let's be honest how else could they be seen? What a cracking bunch of individuals they -the government- are. As long as you don't mind being spoken to like a child all the time and taxed to the hilt, then you cannot complain. In chess terms the government is like a chess club where everyone is 2900+ and will thrash you to death if you try to take them on. Actually I'm away from home and becoming tearful in writing this because I do so miss home...I shall have to stop writing. I shall listen to a song instead, something a peaceful duo might sing, something to help me have a good cry since I do so miss home. I wonder if there's ever been a song written about troubled waters?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:23 pm

On the Fourth of July 1806 we set sail from the sweet cove of Cork
We were sailing away with a cargo of bricks for the grand City Hall in New York
'Twas a wonderful craft, she was rigged fore and aft and oh, how the wild wind drove her
She stood several blasts, she had twenty-seven masts and they called her the Irish Rover...

We had sailed seven years when the measles broke out and the ship lost it's way in the fog
And that whale of a crew was reduced down to two, just meself and the Captain's old dog
Then the ship struck a rock, Oh Lord! what a shock, the bulkhead was turned right over
Turned nine times around and the poor old dog was drowned, I'm the last of the Irish Rover

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:08 am

Was that a song by The Prodigy?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:14 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:19 pm
They see themselves as like a bridge over troubled waters so when you are weary and feeling small they will ease your mind. And let's be honest how else could they be seen? What a cracking bunch of individuals they -the government- are. As long as you don't mind being spoken to like a child all the time and taxed to the hilt, then you cannot complain. In chess terms the government is like a chess club where everyone is 2900+ and will thrash you to death if you try to take them on. Actually I'm away from home and becoming tearful in writing this because I do so miss home...I shall have to stop writing. I shall listen to a song instead, something a peaceful duo might sing, something to help me have a good cry since I do so miss home. I wonder if there's ever been a song written about troubled waters?
How are they treating you, that you don't like?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:10 am

I live abroad so no interaction. I just pity those lumbered with them. England was a great place once...