COVid19-What's wrong with UK?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Mick Norris

Re: COVid19-What's wrong with UK?

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks Simon, no I don't, although since I feel basically ok, a positive test might be a good thing; my Unlce tested psoitive 5 weeks ago, and he's in a very vulnerable group, but he's not had any symptoms, so we're hoping he has gained some immunity
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 am

I got a negative test result last night

Basic timescale, I logged in to the system about 6 pm Monday; tests were avilable to book at the Etihad from 8 am Tuesday, with half hour (I think) slots available all day, I had the test 10 am Tuesday and got the results 7:15 pm Wednesday; pretty efficient process (although maybe because not enough people are actually going for tests?)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:32 am

"I had the test 10 am Tuesday and got the results 7:15 pm Wednesday; pretty efficient process (although maybe because not enough people are actually going for tests?)"

Good result!

There may not be as much take-up as there should be. I delivered someone for a test the other day (by appointment), and the car park was deserted. Maybe not enough tests are scheduled. There was a van waiting to take all the samples away.

As for the speed of results, I imagine that when the vials arrive at the lab some low-paid unfortunate shift-working staff member loads all the vials into an auto-sampler and then presses a button. Someone looks at the results later and processes them. Repeat until your replacement arrives, you go home, they continue. So the process will be efficient!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 am

Thanks Kevin, though I think I'd rather have tested positive really, given I am ok at the moment!

I have the same view, the setup at the Etihad testing site was large and impressive, but I only saw a dozen or so cars/vans while I was there; the capacity for tests is good, as you say, but maybe not the take up

I was told about a mobile testing centre set up for a couple of days in Chorley; I did wonder if this was to allow key workers and care homes easier access to tests; equally, it may be there's a bigger issue with getting tests in care homes and your own home

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:22 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 am
the capacity for tests is good, as you say, but maybe not the take up
I heard the same about Wembley - almost nobody there. Of course, you are only supposed to get tested if you are showing symptoms, and in London very few people now have the thing. I suppose you could claim to have lost your sense of smell.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Mick
I am sure I am speaking on behalf of everyone who has not posted here yet and the guests that look at the forum.
That we are glad you are ok, we were all a bit worried about you.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:45 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:22 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 am
the capacity for tests is good, as you say, but maybe not the take up
I heard the same about Wembley - almost nobody there. Of course, you are only supposed to get tested if you are showing symptoms, and in London very few people now have the thing. I suppose you could claim to have lost your sense of smell.
I get that with London, but the North West has too high a rate at the moment so you'd probably expect differently here; mind, there were I think 3 testing centres almost equidistant from me, so maybe there are quite a few people being tested overall

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:59 am

Seems the outbreak is fainting in the UK. It is good that there were many tests.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am

Yes, the first wave is fading - growing fainter.

The testing has slowly improved in quantity and quality but has not yet played the part it did in South Korea, Germany and some smaller well-organised countries. It will be the most important part of the measures to prevent a second wave during the summer as restrictions are eased and the economic and social activities continue to increase here in the UK.

It has just been said by one of the government chief scientists that we are halfway through the first wave in terms of defeating it. The peak number of cases of Covid-19 and deaths due to it was passed a while ago but there are still several thousand cases per week, probably, and more or less a hundred fatalites a day.

I hope things are improving in your country, too.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:43 am

Thanks.
I am visiting Canada since February and have been unable to return.
Iran is coping with economic sanctions and people are taking out in the need to earn a living, and the cases rised again

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:14 am

In England, too, people are increasingly going out more - to earn a living and to do other usual activities such as non-essential shopping.

The number of people contracting the virus could therefore start to go up, again, unless they pay due care and attention to measures designed to keep the spread low.

The number of cases is already rising in hospitals here, I believe.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:18 am

As far as they keep distancing, and also masks, there should be no problem.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:26 am

As far as they keep distancing, and also masks, there should be no problem.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:23 am

Also worth repeating - try to wash hands thoroughly before leaving from and arriving at home/work and, if possible, use hand sanitizer when necessary in between.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:32 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:23 am
Also worth repeating - try to wash hands thoroughly before leaving from and arriving at home/work and, if possible, use hand sanitizer when necessary in between.
Of course, 20s hand-washing is very important, as it both kills germs and prevents both germs from spreading and your touching mouth, nose and eyes with unclean hands.