Cricketers

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
MJMcCready

Cricketers

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:43 pm

Since cricket has started this summer, I thought I'd ask what your favourite cricketers were in terms of batsmen and bowlers.

Batsman: Graham Gooch
Bowler: Shane Warne

and also

Fielder: Jonty Rhodes

Who's your all-time favourite then?

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Cricketers

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Batsman - Geoff Boycott (magnificent technique, which many lack today.) (but it means voting against Sachin Tendulkar, Barry Richards, etc.)
Bowler - Fred Trueman
Fielder - Colin Bland (earlier version of Rhodes), but a vote for Phil Sharpe as well, brilliant slip fielder.
Wicketkeeper - Sarah Taylor (excellent technique)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:48 pm

Being a Lancastrian since the age of three, I'm sure you can predict most of my answers.
Batsman: Michael Atherton and Neil Fairbrother.
All rounder: Andrew Flintoff
Bowler: Wasim Akram
I did see the West Indian, Richie Richardson play for Blackpool Cricket Club a number of times.
I suppose my all time favourite was David Gower.

The Cricket player I didn't like was the Australian Merv Hughes, too much aggressive behaviour.
He seem to bowl, directly, aiming for the batsman, when Merv was once asked by a journalist about this, he replied that the batsman "should get out of the way".
(with a couple of naughty words in between)

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:29 pm

Gordon Greenidge is my favourite.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:40 pm

I'm not sure I can name favourite batsman and bowlers. Too many, I'm just nodding every time.

Worse, I think I enjoy bad fielding more than good fielding! Phil the Cat comes to mind.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:56 pm

I wonder who will replace Phil Tufnell and Matt Dawson as team captains on A Question of Sport. I thought Phil was great on the programme.
I remember the famous radio commentary when Ian Botham was given out when he hit his own wicket.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:56 pm

"Andrew Flintoff"

His autobiography (there might be more than one) talks about him beating Atherton at chess in a rain break, causing the FEC some annoyance.

You might guess from my selection that I'm from Yorkshire.

Some excitement today as I hear Lashings are playing at Allerton in Somerset next month https://www.theisleofwedmore.net/whats- ... xi-9-july/

(If you scroll down to the picture of the tractors, I took that photograph.)

I played against Lashings once, just before Richie Richardson joined them... Sadly, they were just a normal club side then. More recently, Lashings played Reigate Priory (who have a number of Surrey players on the books), and Sachin wanted a fitness test, so he played for Lashings and got about 150 before lunch, retired and spent the afternoon signing autographs.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:48 pm
Being a Lancastrian since the age of three, I'm sure you can predict most of my answers.
I did see the West Indian, Richie Richardson play for Blackpool Cricket Club a number of times.

The Cricket player I didn't like was the Australian Merv Hughes, too much aggressive behaviour.
He seem to bowl, directly, aiming for the batsman, when Merv was once asked by a journalist about this, he replied that the batsman "should get out of the way".
yeah as an all-rounder Flintoff would be my favourite too.

Not sure I ever did have a favourite wicket keeper...Jack Russell perhaps.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:22 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:48 pm

yeah as an all-rounder Flintoff would be my favourite too.

Not sure I ever did have a favourite wicket keeper...Jack Russell perhaps.
I agree with Jack Russell. I remember the Australian Ian Healy was a very good wicketkeeper.
You post a lot of great Topics on the forum. I'm glad you started this one, Mark.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:37 am

Bowler: Graham Dilley

I saw him deliver a few overs for Worcestershire at Old Trafford in a county game. It was obvious from each ball that he was fast like no other. The wicket keeper was having to take a step back for each successive ball, which still landed high into his gloves with a thud, causing him to shake his wrists afterwards. Meanwhile all the fielders had gravitated to behind the wicket.

Later the same day I saw Ian Botham score a typical 50 (not out).

That's entertainment!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:24 pm

My hero as a lad - and Lancs supporter - was one CH Lloyd.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)