Euro 21

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
MJMcCready

Euro 21

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:16 am

Which teams and players have impressed you the most so far?

Top three teams are:

1. France
2. Italy
3. England

The only player that's caught my eye so far is Gareth Bale as his through ball for Wales's first goal against Turkey was world-class.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Euro 21

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:39 am

Those three have all been very impressive, as have Belgium. It'll be interesting to see who ends up on which side of the knockout draw, which I expect to have quite a big influence on who the likely winner will be.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:40 am

And I've done this for another site, so I might as well post it up here as well:

GROUP A:

Final fixtures: Italy (6) v Wales (4), Switzerland (1) v Turkey (0)

ITALY WIN, SWITZERLAND WIN: Italy win the group. If the combined victory margins are:
At least 6 goals: Switzerland runners-up, Wales 3rd
At most 4 goals: Wales runners-up, Switzerland 3rd
Exactly 5 goals: If Switzerland outscore Wales by at least 3, Switzerland are runners-up and Wales 3rd. If Switzerland fail to outscore Wales by more than 1, Wales are runners-up and Switzerland 3rd. If Switzerland outscore Wales by exactly 2, it comes down to disciplinary record.
In all cases in this scenario, 3rd place has 4 points.

ITALY WIN, SWITZERLAND DRAW: Italy win the group, Wales runners-up, Switzerland 3rd with 2.

ITALY WIN, SWITZERLAND LOSE: Italy win the group, Wales runners-up, Turkey 3rd with 3.

ITALY DRAW, SWITZERLAND WIN: Italy win the group, Wales runners-up, Switzerland 3rd with 4

ITALY DRAW, SWITZERLAND DRAW: Italy win the group, Wales runners-up, Switzerland 3rd with 2

ITALY DRAW, SWITZERLAND LOSE: Italy win the group, Wales runners-up, Turkey 3rd with 3

ITALY LOSE, SWITZERLAND WIN: Wales win the group, Italy runners-up, Switzerland 3rd with 4

ITALY LOSE, SWITZERLAND DRAW: Wales win the group, Italy runners-up, Switzerland 3rd with 2

ITALY LOSE, SWITZERLAND LOSE: Wales win the group, Italy runners-up, Turkey 3rd with 3

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:59 am

I'd say it is only Belgium and Italy who have really impressed so far. France and England have won important games, but I think they would have to play considerably better to win the tournament.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:10 am

As for players, I thought Kalvin Phillips was amazingly good given I have never been that impressed with him for Leeds. Schick and Locatelli have scored amazing goals.
To a certain extent Bale was Bale, he did some really clever things, but couldn't be bothered to do the simple stuff like scoring a penalty or keeping the ball in the corner to run out the clock.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:33 am

Denmark for playing on in the first game, and Finland for their sporting greeting on the Danish return.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:10 pm

GROUP B:

Final fixtures: Belgium (6) v Finland (3), Russia (3) v Denmark (0)

BELGIUM WIN, RUSSIA WIN OR DRAW: Belgium winners, Russia runners-up, Finland 3rd with 3.

BELGIUM WIN, RUSSIA LOSE: Belgium winners. If Denmark win by any scoreline other than 1-0, Denmark are runners-up and Russia are 3rd. If Denmark win 1-0, then if Belgium win:
1-0, Denmark are 2nd and Finland are 3rd.
Any other 1-goal victory, Finland are 2nd and Denmark are 3rd.
Any 2-goal victory, Denmark are 2nd and Finland are 3rd.
3-0, Denmark are 2nd and Russia are 3rd.
Any other 3-goal victory, Denmark are 2nd and Finland are 3rd.
Any 4-goal or greater victory, Denmark are 2nd and Russia are 3rd.
In all cases in this scenario, 3rd place has 3 points.

BELGIUM DRAW, RUSSIA WIN OR DRAW: Belgium winners, Russia runners-up, Finland 3rd with 4.

BELGIUM DRAW, RUSSIA LOSE: Belgium winners, Finland runners-up, Denmark 3rd with 3.

BELGIUM LOSE, RUSSIA WIN: If Finland's victory margin is:
1 or 2 goals, Belgium winners, Finland runners-up, Russia 3rd.
3 to 5 goals, Finland winners, Belgium runners-up, Russia 3rd.
6 or more goals, Finland winners, Russia runners-up, Belgium 3rd.
In all cases in this scenario, 3rd place has 6 points and will definitely qualify.

BELGIUM LOSE, RUSSIA DRAW: Finland winners, Belgium runners-up, Russia 3rd with 4.

BELGIUM LOSE, RUSSIA LOSE: Finland winners, Belgium runners-up, Denmark 3rd with 3.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:55 pm

GROUP C:

Final fixtures: Netherlands (6) v North Macedonia (0), Ukraine (3) v Austria (3)

UKRAINE WIN: Netherlands winners, Ukraine runners-up, Austria 3rd with 3.

UKRAINE DRAW: Netherlands winners, Ukraine runners-up, Austria 3rd with 4.

UKRAINE LOSE: Netherlands winners, Austria runners-up, Ukraine 3rd with 3.

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm

England have never won a knockout game in the Euros. In 1996 England progressed against Spain on penalties. This is their tenth appearance at finals.
If England win the group then they face runners up of the France / Portugal / Germany / Hungary group. The chances look pretty slim that they will advance further. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that they do.

France impressed me and I think there is a lot more to come from them.
Italy seemed very polished.
England did a great job on Croatia and the win seemed more comfortable than the scoreline suggested.
The Belgium defence showed their age against the Danes last night. Good job DeBruyne came to the rescue.
I was stunned that Portugal got 3 in the end. Hungary were a match for them until the last few minutes.
Germany don't seem invincible any longer. If North Macedonia can get a result against them.
Spain dominated their first match and shouldn't be taken lightly.

That's a pretty long list of potential winners from me. Anyone make a case for another team?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:18 pm

I completely agree with your assessment, Ihor.
I'm sure Alex McFarlane will still put the case forward for Scotland to win the tournament. Good win for Wales against Turkey.
On a different note, a great win for Blackpool in the play-off final and a return to the Championship to face Preston again.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:37 pm

England may be underdogs if they play France or Germany, but I wouldn't say their chances are "slim". They reached the semi's in the World Cup, and would have a fair chance of winning imo.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 pm

GROUP D:

Final fixtures: Czech Republic (4) v England (4), Croatia (1) v Scotland (1)

CZECH REPUBLIC WIN, CROATIA WIN: Czech Republic winners, England runners-up, Croatia 3rd with 4.

CZECH REPUBLIC WIN, CROATIA DRAW: Czech Republic winners, England runners-up, Croatia 3rd with 2.

CZECH REPUBLIC WIN, CROATIA LOSE: Czech Republic winners. If combined victory margins are 4 or more, Scotland are runners-up and England 3rd. If they are 2, England are runners-up and Scotland 3rd.
If they are exactly 3, then if Scotland outscore England by 2 or more, Scotland are runners-up and England 3rd. If they fail to outscore England, England are runners-up and Scotland 3rd. If they outscore England by exactly 1, it comes down to disciplinary records.
In all cases in this scenario, 3rd place scores 4.

CZECH REPUBLIC DRAW, CROATIA WIN: Czech Republic winners, England runners-up. Croatia 3rd with 4.

CZECH REPUBLIC DRAW, CROATIA DRAW: Czech Republic winners, England runners-up, Croatia 3rd with 2.

CZECH REPUBLIC DRAW, CROATIA LOSE: Czech Republic winners, England runners-up, Scotland 3rd with 4.

CZECH REPUBLIC LOSE, CROATIA WIN: England winners. If the combined victory margins are 4 or more, Croatia runners-up and Czech Republic 3rd. If they are 2, Czech Republic runners-up and Croatia 3rd.
If they are exactly 3, then if Croatia outscore Czech Republic by 3 or more, Croatia runners-up and Czech Republic 3rd. If Croatia do not outscore Czech Republic by more than 1, Czech Republic runners-up and Croatia 3rd. If Croatia outscore Czech Republic by exactly 2, it comes down to disciplinary records.
In all cases in this scenario, 3rd place scores 4.

CZECH REPUBLIC LOSE, CROATIA DRAW: England winners, Czech Republic runners-up, Croatia 3rd with 2.

CZECH REPUBLIC LOSE, CROATIA LOSE: England winners, Czech Republic runners-up, Scotland 3rd with 4.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:37 am

England were poor against Scotland.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:34 pm

I looked up the rules about goal kicks and found this:

A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team; if the ball directly enters the kicker's goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents if the ball left the penalty area.

Does this mean it is impossible for the goalkeeper to score an own goal direct from a goal kick? But how can the ball leave the penalty area and return directly to the kicker's goal? I realise this scenario means the goalkeeper has gone crazy, but it does seem a weird law.

Similarly it seems impossible to score an own goal direct from the kick-off:

A goal may be scored directly against the opponents from the kick-off; if the ball directly enters the kicker's goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opponents.

So it seems that a massive opening back pass into your own goal does not count unless the goalkeeper or another player touches it.

Can anyone clarify all this?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:40 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:34 pm
But how can the ball leave the penalty area and return directly to the kicker's goal?
This nearly happened to me once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzutX8bm5mo