Fuel Panic Idiots

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John Upham

Fuel Panic Idiots

Post by John Upham » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:27 am

British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Habershon

Re: Fuel Panic Idiots

Post by Paul Habershon » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:40 am

When this all started they should have imposed a minimum spend of £35/£40 at fuel stations to deter drivers from topping up with tiny amounts and taking up queue space. On my local social media a driver reported getting to a pump which showed the previous purchase to have been £1.26. Instead some garages have a £30 limit, which means drivers have to come back sooner. Perhaps some return immediately to the back of the queue to buy another £30.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:43 am

Paul Habershon wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:40 am
When this all started they should have imposed a minimum spend of £35/£40 at fuel stations to deter drivers from topping up with tiny amounts and taking up queue space. On my local social media a driver reported getting to a pump which showed the previous purchase to have been £1.26. Instead some garages have a £30 limit, which means drivers have to come back sooner. Perhaps some return immediately to the back of the queue to buy another £30.
Paul,

Absolutely correct. I have been suggesting a minimum spend for the last few days. Current issues are being caused by morons conducting a "splash and dash" style behaviour pattern. A £30 minimum spend would break the cycle of their cretinous behaviour.

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:36 am

Not that I was around at the time, but I understand that something similar was implemented in the 1970s during a fuel crisis. However little fuel you bought, you had to pay for a minimum of five litres.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:45 am

Richard Thursby wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:36 am
Not that I was around at the time, but I understand that something similar was implemented in the 1970s during a fuel crisis. However little fuel you bought, you had to pay for a minimum of five litres.
I did wonder what happened with that £1.26 purchase that Paul Habershon mentioned. The pump would have had a label on it saying the minimum purchase was 2l (or more) because pumps need to dispense that much to accurately measure the volume.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:59 pm

It's more than reducing the length of the queues. I remember reading on a previous occasion that the capacity of the petrol tanks in all the cars in the country is greater than the storage capacity of all the petrol stations. If the average amount in all those cars goes from one-quarter full to three-quarters full in a short space of time that amounts to maybe one week's supply, and is enough to empty every petrol station in the country (or something like that).

If there was a minimum purchase, so that you couldn't buy petrol until your tank was less than half full, that would make a significant difference, and that in itself might actually mean that the panic-buying didn't happen in the first place.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:22 pm

I suspect the main obstacle to minimum spend is the petrol stations themselves. If they sell out of fuel then they have made their profits early, and can shut down until the next delivery arrives, thus saving on costs. Also, could current computerized payment systems (i.e. the link between the pump and the till) be adapted to cope? There would also be accusations of profiteering, although that could easily be defused by declaring that any excess profits would be donated to charity.

It's an excellent idea though, which I had myself at the last fuel crisis, and I am surprised this is the first time I've seen it suggested by anyone else!

Kevin Williamson

Post by Kevin Williamson » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:48 pm

I'm not sure that motorists who can't afford to pay out £30 or £40 in one go, but still need their cars for essential journeys, would see a minimum spend as a good idea. Nor those with empty tanks who are being responsible by just taking a small quantity because that's all they need. Perhaps some stations could have a minimum spend and others a maximum - knowing that you are queuing with others doing the same thing might be slightly less stressful!

AnthonyKent

Post by AnthonyKent » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:12 am

Say my car tank holds 60 litres. My anxiety level used to be about 5 litres (1/12). Now it kicks in around 1/4. For some people, they may be getting antsy at 1/3 or 1/2 level.

People panicing are not idiots. This is about mental wellbeing (same as pasta and loo rolls). Until all petrol stations are open, the anxieties will not go away.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:25 am

AnthonyKent wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:12 am
Say my car tank holds 60 litres. My anxiety level used to be about 5 litres (1/12). Now it kicks in around 1/4. For some people, they may be getting antsy at 1/3 or 1/2 level.

People panicing are not idiots. This is about mental wellbeing (same as pasta and loo rolls). Until all petrol stations are open, the anxieties will not go away.
Much of this alleged "crisis" has been caused by persons topping up an already pretty full tank.

They might drive around for miles wasting fuel only to add a few litres thinking that they have achieved something productive.

The novelty of this behaviour will wear off no doubt.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:01 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:25 am
The novelty of this behaviour will wear off no doubt.
The novelty of paying £ 1.45 or more a litre may wear off as well. So if you have a couple of weeks of mileage or more in your tank why not wait until there are no queues and prices have normalised?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:41 pm

Average fuel prices have hit 1.49.30. per litre and are expected to go above 1.50 per litre. A new high, due to the Ukraine crisis. Whether this will lead to a new fuel panic, I don't know.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:15 pm

That is only likely if actual shortages are threatened (which is not impossible)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:18 pm

Fleeing-the-cities panics also possible I imagine
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:22 pm

Well, if things ever get that bad fuel prices might not seem so important :shock:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)