Euro 2022

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Euro 2022

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:10 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:35 pm
Richard Thursby wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:36 pm
Congratulations England on winning Euro 2022.
After being thwarted last year, I now announce the formation of the Two Finals Club.

Eligibility: You have to have been watching on live television (or at the venue) on two occasions when an England team won the final of a Major Championship (World or European) at Wembley Stadium after extra time.
I know a friend who was born on 8th July 1966. Not sure how well she remembers the world cup though :lol:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:44 pm

To get this back on topic, I was 'watching' the match on the big screen at Trafalgar Square. Well, when I say 'watching' I arrived too late to get into the square itself, so I found a convenient spot by a lamppost to watch, along with a steadily growing crowd of others on the pavements around the barriers. Great crowd reactions, and when the winning goal went in, one person poured beer over himself and ran around the road shirtless celebrating. Luckily there was no traffic at the time. Mood slightly spoilt by: (a) the two snarky young teenage kids who were doing wheelies on Boris Bikes and doing their best to get run over by the traffic while sticking two fingers up at the police; and (b) the big screens being turned off for a few minutes with the stern notice "THE SCREENS WILL REMAIN OFF UNTIL PEOPLE LEAVE THE FOUNTAINS". :D

I watched the 2003 Rugby World Cup win on TV, so I have two finals. Not sure where I was following the 2019 Cricket World Cup win (might have been on live text as might have been away from a TV screen). I do remember watching in a pub that I had ducked into the final over of the T20 World Cup that England lost (can't remember the year, the one where the West Indies batsman hit Stokes for loads of sixes).

(Can people please name the sports and finals, as it is not that easy to look them up! Or is that the point?)

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:08 pm

Obviously in some sports the major team championships are the Olympics. It seems a pity not to acknowledge the 1984 men's hockey champions in this list, or the women's success in 2016, just because the teams are not exclusively English. The football seems to have more secure financial backing, but the hockey experience may serve as a cautionary tale, as I'm not sure the success in 84 was properly built on.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:30 pm

"Or perhaps the female goalkeepers are not as strong when it comes to beating a ball away with their arms or hands, so the comparative results even out."

I have noticed that female goalkeepers frequently have more problems when the ball is in the air, which may just be you don't get too many 6-foot tall female goalkeepers.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:36 pm

The England goalkeeper Mary Earps was excellent. Not sure about penalties, but there is a taster of the training Earps does here (I think that is filmed at their Teddington training ground):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/61195571

I hadn't realised quite how accurate goalkeepers (either gender) can be with their distribution kicks. I thought they just whacked it and hoped for the best! :D
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:42 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:08 pm
It seems a pity not to acknowledge the 1984 men's hockey champions in this list ...
It was 1988.

One of my criteria was that the event was in this country. To the best of my recollection we didn't win any Gold medals in team sports at London 2012.

It was a case of close but no cigar. I was at the Olympic Park for the Semi Final of the Women's Hockey, when GB lost 2 - 1 to Argentina.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:49 pm

David

Thanks for the correction - it now makes more sense that I was watching it live than had it been four years earlier. My memory is already failing as until I checked I'd bizarrely logged the women's victory as 2012. Losing a semi-final is still of course a long way from winning.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:54 pm

There were several events that might be classed as 'team' events in the Olympics where gold was won (though obviously they were not 'extra time at Wembley', a criterion that I think was produced to make the club ultra-exclusive! :mrgreen: )

- Men's team pursuit (cycling)
- Women's team pursuit (cycling)
- Team jumping (equestrian)
- Team dressage (equestrian)

There were also four rowing events and one canoeing one where British 'teams' ranging from 2-4 won gold.

I suppose for 'real' team events, you really mean outside field events (though basketball, and water polo take place in indoor venues).

Though having said that, has anyone seen the 3-a-side basketball? Apparently it is considered "the largest urban team sport in the world".

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:04 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:42 pm
To the best of my recollection we didn't win any Gold medals in team sports at London 2012.
That depends on your definition of a team sport. Defining it as any event where two or more people compete together we won:
  • Canoeing - men's slalom C-2
  • Cycling - men's team pursuit
  • Cycling - men's team sprint
  • Cycling - women's team pursuit
  • Equestrian - team dressage
  • Equestrian - team jumping
  • Rowing - men's coxless four
  • Rowing - women's double sculls
  • Rowing - women's coxless pair
  • Rowing - women's lightweight double sculls

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:21 pm

Also five of those have the word "team" in them
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:21 pm

I specifically referred to "team sports", not "team events". My definition of a team sport is one which can only be contested between teams, not individuals.

In the context of London 2012, that limits it to:

Basketball
Beach Volleyball
Football
Handball
Hockey
Volleyball
Water Polo

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:47 pm

Richard Thursby wrote:
Moving back on topic, a thoroughly enjoyable experience with an excellent team led by a class manager

Wonderful celebrations amid a much better atmosphere too

I enjoyed the game I went to early in the tournament and hopefully a number of English spectators will have done so and choose to support the Women's game from now on too
Any postings on here represent my personal views

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:54 am

Being Welsh i will be in the single final group come this qatar 22

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:41 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:47 pm
Richard Thursby wrote:
Moving back on topic, a thoroughly enjoyable experience with an excellent team led by a class manager

Wonderful celebrations amid a much better atmosphere too

I enjoyed the game I went to early in the tournament and hopefully a number of English spectators will have done so and choose to support the Women's game from now on too
Agreed. The football was exciting to watch, and though it is not a competition, the women's game is refreshingly lacking some of the features that bring down the men's game. I hope this is a real catalyst for change, both in women's football and sport more generally (and maybe even gender equality more widely).

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:43 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:44 pm
I watched the 2003 Rugby World Cup win on TV, so I have two finals. Not sure where I was following the 2019 Cricket World Cup win (might have been on live text as might have been away from a TV screen). I do remember watching in a pub that I had ducked into the final over of the T20 World Cup that England lost (can't remember the year, the one where the West Indies batsman hit Stokes for loads of sixes).

(Can people please name the sports and finals, as it is not that easy to look them up! Or is that the point?)
the 2003 rugby world cup was in australia i remember it well as i was welsh and we were leading something like 23 5 against england at half time in a quarter final when i was quite rudely sectioned under the mental health act and carted away. I was unaware that england had come back remarkably in the game until told the bad news after i kept asking from my hospital room. Further to that the first time i was let out of my solitary confinement was on the fnal day during the match and i turned on the tv to watch it to find johnny wilkinson lineing up a kick-it was the famous kick and then the game finished.