Iain Norman Macleod and #Krazy

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
NickFaulks

Re: Iain Norman Macleod and #Krazy

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:13 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:26 pm
Laffernomics: the demonstrably untrue proposition that you can increase revenue by cutting taxes and waiting an unspecified amount of time.
Yeah, right. Maybe you do have a unique insight into macroeconomics and it is a travesty that you are not currently resident in 11, Downing St. That isn't the point.

The point is that Liz Truss got herself elected on a promise that the way forward was economic growth. Within a few weeks she told us that she had changed her mind and the way forward is now austerity. For that she can never be forgiven.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:50 am

Nick Faulks wrote:

"The point is that Liz Truss got herself elected on a promise that the way forward was economic growth. Within a few weeks she told us that she had changed her mind and the way forward is now austerity."

When did she say the way forward was austerity? I thought she said she still had aspirations for economic growth but needed to take matters more gradually (or words to that effect).

As I see it, it was the implementation of the growth strategy that was at fault - in my opinion, not enough communication and the scrapping of the top rate of income tax antagonized many people.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:53 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:13 pm
The point is that Liz Truss got herself elected on a promise that the way forward was economic growth. Within a few weeks she told us that she had changed her mind and the way forward is now austerity. For that she can never be forgiven.
No leader has ever been elected on a promise that the way forward is economic contraction. You are reading too much into slogans.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:26 am

John Townsend wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:50 am
When did she say the way forward was austerity?
She sacked her Chancellor and replaced him with one whose avowed intent was to reverse all of his pro growth policies and replace them with austerity. Looks like a 180 degree change of course to me.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:56 am

That's not the same as saying the "way forward" is "austerity": she said economic growth remained the objective, but that it needed to be pursued more gradually.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:19 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:26 am
John Townsend wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:50 am
When did she say the way forward was austerity?
She sacked her Chancellor and replaced him with one whose avowed intent was to reverse all of his pro growth policies and replace them with austerity. Looks like a 180 degree change of course to me.
Are we in looking-glass land here? Bringing back the 45p tax rate is an anti-austerity policy. If anyone earning over £150,000 complains that they've been a victim of austerity because their tax rate is only 15%pts lower than the 60% they paid under Thatcher, do not take anything else they say seriously.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.