Page 1 of 1

Rare Moves?

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:00 am
by James Pratt
I would hate you to miss this little gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnW0WiCqNc

Who can help me produce to this standard?

James

Re: Rare Moves?

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:44 pm
by Neill Cooper
Try looking at https://www.3blue1brown.com/lessons/essence-of-calculus and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRaq4aYPzCc amongst many others. Interesting maths and great animations.

Re: Rare Moves?

Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:19 pm
by Ian Thompson
James Pratt wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:00 am
I would hate you to miss this little gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnW0WiCqNc
A debate could be had on what makes two moves different before deciding which are rare. The author of that video says that if, for example, there is a Knight on c4, Nce5 (necessary disambiguation because a second Knight somewhere else on the board could also move to e5) is a different move from Ne5 when only one Knight can move to e5. I don't agree with that. All Knight moves from c4 to e5 are the same move. If he'd chosen to compare moves recorded in numeric notation instead of algebraic notation no disambiguation would be needed.

Re: Rare Moves?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:12 am
by Roger de Coverly
Ian Thompson wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:19 pm
All Knight moves from c4 to e5 are the same move. If he'd chosen to compare moves recorded in numeric notation instead of algebraic notation no disambiguation would be needed.
Or even just long algebraic where Nc4 is a shortened form of Nc4-e5

Re: Rare Moves?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:46 am
by John Upham
Without studying the video I'd guess moves when there are two bishops of the same colour that could visit the same square could be deemed to be unusual.

Tom Jones might disagree.

Re: Rare Moves?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:05 am
by Ian Thompson
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:46 am
Without studying the video I'd guess moves when there are two bishops of the same colour that could visit the same square could be deemed to be unusual.
I didn't watch the video to the end. I gave up when he was discussing 3 bishops of the same colour, all of which could capture on the same square, e.g. bishops on c4, c8 and g8 with one capturing on e6.

Early in the video he said that about a third of a list of possible moves he'd drawn up didn't occur in any of the 5 billion Lichess games he'd analysed. Up to the point I watched, he hadn't stated what any of these moves were.

Re: Rare Moves?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:14 pm
by John Upham
Ian Thompson wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:05 am
John Upham wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:46 am
Without studying the video I'd guess moves when there are two bishops of the same colour that could visit the same square could be deemed to be unusual.
I didn't watch the video to the end. I gave up when he was discussing 3 bishops of the same colour, all of which could capture on the same square, e.g. bishops on c4, c8 and g8 with one capturing on e6.

Early in the video he said that about a third of a list of possible moves he'd drawn up didn't occur in any of the 5 billion Lichess games he'd analysed. Up to the point I watched, he hadn't stated what any of these moves were.
I'm pleased I took the easy decision not to watch it.

Re: Rare Moves?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 3:36 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Just asking - why is this thread in the "Not Chess" section?

Re: Rare Moves?

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 1:03 pm
by Peter Shaw
I was also not impressed by the video for same reasons given by Ian.

A far better discussion of this topic is here, item 105.