Odd one out

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Adam Raoof

Re: Odd one out

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 am

Mike Gunn wrote:If Middlesex doesn't exist then nor does England.
Hear, hear!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:36 pm

"Plus Middlesex has a lot of speed bumps, meaning the actual surface area is twice the size of Yorkshire."

Fair point! Living in Surrey and working in Middlesex means I see (and feel) a lot of speed bumps.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Adam our lads will probably get a pummelling but would be up for it. Last yr blew off due to fixture congestion (fixtures meetings, Jon Rogers Simul, etc). What's the parking like? I thought all the wasted space in Middlesex were the residents housing and Lords?

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:25 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Mike Gunn wrote:
If Middlesex doesn't exist then nor does England.
Middlesex does not exist - ergo neither does England!!!

Chess Scotland awaits your membership!!!!!

:D :D :D

Richard Cowan

Post by Richard Cowan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:27 pm

"Plus Middlesex has a lot of speed bumps, meaning the actual surface area is twice the size of Yorkshire."

East Yorkshire has more traffic calming measures and signage than anywhere else in the country I seem to remember reading somewhere... (though I guess this might be per capita)

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:36 pm

Were you reading that whilst driving to work. going so slow you had the paper in front of you on the steering wheel. In rural areas, traffic calming measures are cattle, combine harvesters and tractors

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:Which of the following SCCU counties is the odd one out?
Herts
Essex
Kent
Middlesex
Sussex
Surrey
?
Surrey, as the only team from the open section that didn't qualify for the national stages this year.

It seems the actual counties represented are as follows:
East Sussex
Essex
Greater London
Hertfordshire
Kent
Surrey
West Sussex

Given some of the venues I have played at over the years, you could have a competition involving Essex, Kent, Middlesex and Surrey and have all the matches played in Greater London.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:13 am

"Given some of the venues I have played at over the years, you could have a competition involving Essex, Kent, Middlesex and Surrey and have all the matches played in Greater London."

I seem to recall that happening at St Brides... The venue was dire, but at least you got used to going to it, and it didn't move. After that we moved to a home and away basis. Then we travelled to a couple of away venues to find the captains outside the venue saying, "Change of plan, this is where we are now playing", and giving directions somewhere else.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:26 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: I seem to recall that happening at St Brides... The venue was dire, but at least you got used to going to it, and it didn't move. After that we moved to a home and away basis. Then we travelled to a couple of away venues to find the captains outside the venue saying, "Change of plan, this is where we are now playing", and giving directions somewhere else.
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Coulsdon (used by Surrey), Catford Cricket Club (used by Kent) and Wanstead House (used by Essex) are all within Greater London.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

So far as the SCCA are concerned the boundaries of Surrey haven't changed since the year we were formed (1883) and Coulsdon is very much in Surrey (although this doesn't conflict with your point that Coulsdon is in Greater London).

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:02 am

Mike Gunn wrote:So far as the SCCA are concerned the boundaries of Surrey haven't changed since the year we were formed (1883)
Really, Mike?

The definition in the current Memorandum of Association includes Staines and Sunbury-on-Thames. That wouldn't have been the case in 1883, or at any time prior to 1965.

I imagine that the SCCA would accept that Staines and Sunbury are also in Middlesex.

I don't know how Middlesex and Herfordshire deal with Potters Bar (a similar situation mentioned up thread).

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:06 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mike Gunn wrote:So far as the SCCA are concerned the boundaries of Surrey haven't changed since the year we were formed (1883)
Really, Mike?

The definition in the current Memorandum of Association includes Staines and Sunbury-on-Thames. That wouldn't have been the case in 1883, or at any time prior to 1965.

I imagine that the SCCA would accept that Staines and Sunbury are also in Middlesex.

I don't know how Middlesex and Hertfordshire deal with Potters Bar (a similar situation mentioned up thread).
On behalf of my Association, I lay claim to all lands mentioned for the County of Middlesex.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:42 am

Of course I'm aware that we recently defined our area (in part) by London postcodes, but before that (when asked whether a junior lived in Surrey at a previous Surrey Congress) I used the 1885 Parliamentary Boundary Commissioners' Map and that seemed quite satisfactory for the purpose (http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/bc-surrey-east.htm). On the other hand examining the western half of the map does show some discrepancies with modern (administrative) Surrey) (see http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/bc-surrey-west.htm). On the whole, though, modern chess practice does reflect the 1880 boundaries (e.g. Camberley Chess Club thinks it's in Berkshire).

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:59 am

Mike Gunn wrote:On the whole, though, modern chess practice does reflect the 1880 boundaries (e.g. Camberley Chess Club thinks it's in Berkshire).
Are you saying that a member of Camberley Chess Club does not qualify to play for the Surrey county teams as a result of that membership?

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:48 pm

I have just looked up our constitution and it refers to "the County of Surrey and the London Boroughs of Croydon, Kingston-upon-Thames, Lambeth, Merton, Richmond-upon-Thames, Southwark, Sutton and Wandsworth" which is a fine modern definition (but not what I remembered) and obviously includes Camberley.