Page 1 of 1

Re: Help needed with a PC

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:58 am
by John Upham
Ernie,

It might be worth eliminating the monitor, keyboard and mouse as sources of problems first.

Do you have alternates that you can swap out with?

Are they USB peripherals?

Once they are eliminated we can work on the base unit.

Re: Help needed with a PC

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:01 am
by Sean Hewitt
I'm no IT expert but when I have had similar problems I have found that a reinstall of windows usually does the trick. This will remove everything on your machine and restore it to the state it was in when it was purchased.

You will need to back up all your data (if you don't do this routinely already) as it will be deleted. You will also need to make sure that you have all the discs etc for your various programs as these will need to be reinstalled.

Re: Help needed with a PC

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:27 pm
by Warren Kingston
Always up date your hardware and software. Also use Windows Updates.

Re: Help needed with a PC

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:37 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Ernie Lazenby wrote:I could with a little help from anyone who knows about computers.
What version of Windows is it Ernie and on the "white" screen is there any additional text anywhere on that screen?

Re: Help needed with a PC

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:49 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Sean Hewitt wrote:I'm no IT expert but when I have had similar problems I have found that a reinstall of windows usually does the trick.
Err, yuk - perhaps excessive :lol:

Re: Help needed with a PC

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:53 pm
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
If it's a desktop then it might be worth rebooting with the side off to see if you can spot anything obviously wrong (e.g. fan not starting when you turn the computer on). I fixed a similar problem (failed to boot half the time) a few months ago which turned out to be simply a loose IDE cable into the hard disk.

And yes, reinstalling Windows would be a last resort.

I would back up any documents and other irreplaceable files as a matter of urgency - next time you switch it on it may die for good!

Re: Help needed with a PC

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 pm
by John Upham
One other common cause could be graphics card that is not seating correctly.

It is worth jiggling the monitor cable around as it plugs into the PC. You could take the cover off and check that the card is seated correctly.

Re: Help needed with a PC

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:And yes, reinstalling Windows would be a last resort.
Or better still, uninstall Windows and install Ubuntu.