Perceptions and manipulations.

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Perceptions and manipulations.

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:I think the whole argument "my pet autocracy was worse than your pet autocracy" is simply ridiculous.
I agree, but if this is to be discussed, I've always found the Mongol massacres particularly horrendous. Or indeed any of the examples of "slaughtering a whole city to encourage other cities to surrender" approach to war.
The Mongol destruction of Baghdad in 1258 is an event which still has resonance now, three quarters of a millenia on (it was said that the river first ran red from the blood of the maybe quarter of a million victims - but later ran black with the ink from all the books the mostly illiterate conquerors had dumped in there)

It created a crisis in a formerly triumphant - and more advanced than W Europe - Islam that was never really resolved, despite the splendour of Turkey a few centuries later. With consequences that are still very apparent today :(

Paul - the Cultural Revolution for all its horrors never killed *that* many; maybe "only" half a million or so. The Great Leap Forward, on the other hand.........
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:55 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:despite the splendour of Turkey a few centuries later.
Splendour of Turkey?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Note "a few centuries" above :wink:

A century ago the Turkish state was in terminal decline - always a propitious time for scapegoat hunting :(
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Simon Spivack wrote:I was hoping to avoid getting bogged down in this sort of thread. It is far easier just to post erroneously, than look things up.
Matt Mackenzie wrote wrote:... even though Stalin killed even more people that Hitler
Simon Spivack wrote: When this accusation is made, the accusers are normally careful to add the victims of Mao to the total. I invite Matt to substantiate what he has written, or withdraw it. ...

At least, if anyone wishes to post, they should make some effort to quote sources, preferably not bogus ones.
Matt Mackenzie wrote wrote:Simon, I will just say that Stalin killing more than Hitler is a fairly widely accepted thesis these days.
In plain words, Matt cannot substantiate what he has written.

This is often presented through a Cold War prism. Thus the sort of article Matt might have seen states something along the lines that Communism has killed more people than Nazism. That is, mass killings, such as those resulting from the Great Leap Forward due to Mao, are included. Also added are those from the time of the Bolshevik coup; the bestial Russian Civil War, particularly from what happened in the prison camps; deaths such as those resulting from the Hungarian Uprising; and so on.

Another approach to buttress what Matt has written is to provide estimates that are way higher than those conventionally accepted, for instance giving a figure three times greater than that accepted by academic historians for the Ukrainian Famine. One can then use similar methods for the famine in Kazakhstan and so on. I don't propose to waste any time on this approach. Anyone interested could look at the estimates for the Soviet population, which I provide below.

The other device used to attempt to support Matt's view is to ignore the war losses. I consider this ludicrous, however, if that is the position, there is no point arguing. A short cut is to just look at the number of Soviet killed, this alone is greater than the number of deaths due to Stalin. Note, though, that countries such as Poland suffered ghastly losses, too.

The subject of war casualties has been intensely politicised. It is extremely hard. For instance the Soviets overstated German tank losses at Kursk. Initial Soviet estimates were that 700 Tigers were destroyed, which was more than the entire Ostheer had.

Consider just human losses. One can't just add up those killed in battles, there was the partisan war. One can't even just look at estimates of the drop in population. For those killed in the Gulag and transports have to be excluded from the calculations.

The first estimate I am aware of was given by Stalin in February 1946, he gave a global figure of seven millions for the Soviets. A self-evidently preposterous number, designed to enhance the reputation of 'the Boss' as a great war leader.

Khrushchev indicated that more than twenty millions had died. This was for both civilian and military losses. This was widely quoted in the sixties by both the Soviets and non-Soviets. How he arrived at this number has never been revealed. It was probably arbitrary.

The publication of the Soviet census figures provided scope for another approach. The Soviet population in the period immediately proceeding the Great Patriotic War was estimated at 197.1 millions. In 1946 it was 168.5 millions. In 1950 178.5 millions. This lends itself to interpolation, with allowances made for natural growth, and so on. It also introduces concepts such as a counting as casualties children who would have been born, were it not for the war (a not insignificant figure of ten million 'not born' babies has been estimated). Deductions must be made for political prisoners and the like. Much work on these was done by I. Kurganov, A. Ya. Kvasha and V. I. Kozlov. Other complications are due to whether one should include soldiers who died of their wounds after the conclusion of the war. Colonel Pronko devoted much time to the examination of this.

Yet another approach, this time restricted to battlefield losses, was to assume that the Soviets always lost more men in combat than the Ostheer. Highly unfavourable ratios such as 3.5:1 to 7:1 were assumed. Although how these factors were determined was not revealed. It soon became apparent that hardly any attention had been given as to how the Ostheer determined its own casualties. So the concept of extrapolating from them was fundamentally flawed. Note, too, that there was not enough account taken of whether the Axis losses incurred were German, or from one of her allies. There was a risk of double-counting, too, because of the presence of many from the USSR in the Nazi line-up.

In the spring of 1990 the Chief of the Soviet General Staff, Army General Moiseyev, disclosed the conclusions of an official report into combat dead. This therefore excludes civilian figures. It also adds in those lost fighting the Japanese in 1945.

The commission gave:

Army and Navy 8,509,300;
internal troops 97,700;
frontier troops 61,400.

Similar figures were arrived at independently by B.V. Sokolov.

As an aside, if one assumes a classical ratio of three wounded to every man killed, one sees that a horrifically high proportion of the male population was a casualty.

Later General Krivosheyev examined these figures more closely. Account was taken of those listed as missing in action, returned prisoners of war and so on. He made some allowance for double counting, such as the missing re-enlisting as the Red Army pushed west.

Later on further more detailed compilations were made available. I have a table of estimates of military losses broken down by operation. I won't reproduce it here.

To the above battlefield losses must be added those taken prisoner who died in captivity. This is almost certainly over three millions. Then there are those killed in bandenkrieg: the German name for partisan warfare. Although many of the victims were women, children and babies. This number is enormous, Major Shomody devoted a lot of time to 'walking the ground'; however, it may well be a fruitless task. It is in the millions, though. Then there are missing civilians to be added, did they die in transit or as slaves of the Reich? Another, difficult to assess number, also in the millions. Further losses were those of civilians killed, for instance, in Stalingrad and Leningrad.

In the early nineties the figure of nearly fifty millions attracted press attention. This included estimates such as the 'what if' children. This is almost certainly too high. More conventional figures of the dead are below thirty millions. The range of 26-27 millions is often given.

What I have written has been sourced from the book Barbarossa, the Axis and the Allies, which I mentioned in a previous post. An online article, available here does not differ drastically.

I could now turn to estimates of the losses due in the Gulag etc. However, the estimates I have seen due to Stalinist repression are below these figures for war losses. And, I reiterate, I have not even looked at the losses of other states.

There seems little point my posting further in this thread, no one else bothers with sources, instead coming up with highly questionable assertions.

They can't even be troubled to read what was under discussion. Attacking, instead, assertions that were not made.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Why is the number of innocent citizens slaughtered important to the debate? Who was the most successful at directing a national policy of mass murder seems something of a perverse question. Total war is a methodology that still exists to this day. There unquestionably still exists a mentality that doesn't give a damn about the totality of Geneva Convention. The horrors of the more recent Bosnian wars are something that should be stuffed into history textbooks alongside traditional world war learning. It is already a travesty that the number 731 means absolutely nothing to most schoolchildren.

I think that this thread has veered from interesting debate into pointless semantics. Rather like a rating thread.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Paul - the Cultural Revolution for all its horrors never killed *that* many; maybe "only" half a million or so. The Great Leap Forward, on the other hand.........
Sorry, Matt, you are, naturally, quite right to correct me.

Simon, I have heard this theme from you often enough before. Your refusal to accept that Leninist/Stalinist/Trotskyist crimes were equivalent in magnitude and barbarism to Hitlerite crimes stems, I think, from a gut fear that to do so would amount, in some way, to a whitewashing of Nazism. I think, however, that humankind can make little progress if it fails to look foursquare at all the sins of the past century. This pyramid of culpability with one or other monstrous figure at its summit is simply another doomed Babylonian tower.

Living in Amsterdam, I had a Dutch girlfriend whose father was imprisoned by the Japanese as a teenager and spoke, but rarely, of horrors indelibly burnt into his memory; her mother was an Amsterdammer who cycled as a teenager hundreds of kilometers in search of potatoes in a desperate quest to survive in '44 and '45. Towards the end of the Soviet era I travelled with a friend widely as a student in Eastern Europe; we made friends with (and kept in touch with for many subsequent years) a family from Poznan; grandfather was taken as a young man by the Nazis as a slave to work in coal mines in Germany, where he came close to death on several occasions. I was married at one time to a woman of Russian ethnicity from Estonia; her mother had to fend for herself in the Altai from twelve years of age when her parents were rounded up under one or other of Stalin's purges; her father barely survived the siege of Leningrad. Their Estonian neighbour's father had been one of the "Forest Brethren" until he was captured, tortured and then killed. A Russian friend lost her mother to deprivation during the forced repatriation from Harbin. I have memories from when I lived in Germany of this old German soldier who had been taken prisoner in Bohemia and force marched (for a long period without boots) into Siberia where he survived the first winter without any form of shelter when half of his colleagues died and lasted another eight years, when he was eventually repatriated, unlike nine in ten of his comrades.

Which of all these brutalities deserves recognition as being more brutal than the other?

Folly.

Strangely enough I have been reading "For Whom the Bells Toll". Yet another brutal period.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:43 pm

I should be obliged if Paul did not set up strawmen and attack things I have not asserted.

Thank you.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Simon Spivack wrote:I should be obliged if Paul did not set up strawmen and attack things I have not asserted.
Simon Spivack wrote:To summarise, the Cold War made it useful to demonise the Soviets, to say they were no better. This is not to deny that it was an 'Evil Empire', merely that it was less evil than Hitler's Germany.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:56 pm

And, of course, this has been taken out of context. I was summarising part of the introduction to an article given in The brutalisation of Warfare, Nazi crimes and the Wehrmacht by Klaus-Jürgen Müller.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Something on Chessbase recently on Soviet chess problem composers and the Great Terror of the late 1930s:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6807

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:48 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:I think the whole argument "my pet autocracy was worse than your pet autocracy" is simply ridiculous.
To describe these two murderous dictatorships as autocracies is something of an understatement.

At one time I would have agreed with the sentiment. To be fair to Paul, he may be entirely ignorant of who is behind the double genocide theory and how it plays out in practice. Here is a link to an article to show the reality. Here is another.

I can understand how Matt could have written what he did with regard to losses. I suspect he has had more exposure to the publications of Conquest or someone similar than the recent works of other writers. Were he to do read something more up to date he would be surprised. And I am not merely referring to the downsizing of the numbers of dead in the Gulag, the Shoah (estimates now tend to be around five and a half million Jews, rather than six, with fewer having been killed in the Death Camps) and so on.
Paul McKeown wrote:Their Estonian neighbour's father had been one of the "Forest Brethren" until he was captured, tortured and then killed.
There was considerable overlap between the Forest Brothers and the Waffen-SS in Estonia. A Waffen-SS tattoo was likely to be a death sentence. Even without one, he might have been treated in a similar fashion. Note, too, that many Estonian Forest Brothers had previously served as all sorts of Nazi auxiliaries, committing innumerable crimes, including torture and murder. Still, if Paul is sufficiently exercised, there is an annual Waffen-SS march where he can show empathy for these "freedom fighters".
Paul McKeown wrote:German soldier ... was eventually repatriated, unlike nine in ten of his comrades.
Nowhere near 90% German POWs died. A major uncertainty is in the accounting of the Missing In Action, although even including all missing in the totals for the dead does not get remotely near this ridiculous percentage. The survival rates improved as the war progressed, most German POWs were taken in the later years of the war. Incidentally, nearly all the Red Army soldiers captured in the Summer of 1941 were dead by 1942.

I am not sure why Paul chose to quarrel publicly, when there was no need to.

I certainly do despise Russian Communists and nationalists. Can Paul say the same of Baltic nationalists?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Out of interest, though I know it is off-topic, could I ask if there has been new research on the number of war dead (military and civilian) for World War I, in a similar vein to what is being mentioned here for World War II? I know they were different wars and different eras, but the whole process by which such numbers are recorded, estimated, calculated and then argued about for years afterwards is fascinating (if rather macabre and a bit sad). The fascination comes in the differences in which different countries recorded such things, and also when the systems of recording the dead break down utterly (if they were ever in place or used at all).

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:53 am

Simon Spivack wrote:
To describe these two murderous dictatorships as autocracies is something of an understatement.

At one time I would have agreed with the sentiment. To be fair to Paul, he may be entirely ignorant of who is behind the double genocide theory and how it plays out in practice. Here is a link to an article to show the reality. Here is another.
I think Simon is too kind to infer that Paul is merely ignorant. More likely he is in league with the like of Seamus Heaney or (worse) practicing medicine.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:43 pm

I have to ask if this forum even needs to cover this sort of subject matter?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I have to ask if this forum even needs to cover this sort of subject matter?
Isn't that the whole point of the "Not Chess" section?