F1 commentary
-
Neill Cooper
- Posts: 1399
- Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:43 pm
- Location: Cumbria
- Contact:
F1 commentary
"The lap 1 crash makes this more of a chess match ..."
Is anyone compiling all these references?
Is anyone compiling all these references?
-
PeterTurland
- Posts: 541
- Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 pm
- Location: Leicester
- Contact:
Re: F1 commentary
I think every time chess terms get used in other sports, they should pay a royalty to FIDE else FIDE sues the hell out of them.Neill Cooper wrote:"The lap 1 crash makes this more of a chess match ..."
Is anyone compiling all these references?
C'mon Hamilton!
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: F1 commentary
They need to lose Legard as his commentary is the only weak point in the coverage
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
-
Eoin Devane
- Posts: 517
- Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:21 pm
- Location: Cambridge
Re: F1 commentary
The first round of the boxing yesterday was described by the radio analyst as being "a bit like a chess match". I'm not convinced that's a good thing, since another commentator described that as being "possibly the worst round in the history of professional boxing". 
-
Phil Makepeace
- Posts: 342
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:46 pm
Re: F1 commentary
Too right. 5Live commentator David Croft would be the people's choice, and I'd drag Anthony Davidson along with him to supplement Brundle. I really like the radio coverage so it would be a shame to split up that team, but something has to be done. Legard really gets on my tits.Carl Hibbard wrote:They need to lose Legard as his commentary is the only weak point in the coverage
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: F1 commentary
I thought the previous ITV guy wasn't bad (name??) and the rest of the team are good but yes Legard is just annoying
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
-
Daniel Young
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Location: Oxfordshire
Re: F1 commentary
Isn't it James Allen you refer to? I didn't mind him too much, but he was vilified nearly as much as Legard (who does irritate me too, it has to be said) in his time.Carl Hibbard wrote:I thought the previous ITV guy wasn't bad (name??) and the rest of the team are good but yes Legard is just annoying
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9324
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: F1 commentary
I think Croft would have got it, but his radio commentary was poor when Hamilton won the World Championship. He took even longer than the Ferrari pit crew to realise that Hamilton passed Glock on the last corner to finish fifth...
The problem that James Allen - and any F1 commentator - has is that they end up getting compared to Murray Walker. That's a battle you can't really win.
The problem that James Allen - and any F1 commentator - has is that they end up getting compared to Murray Walker. That's a battle you can't really win.
-
Phil Makepeace
- Posts: 342
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:46 pm
Re: F1 commentary
I think Murray Walker's best commentary moments tended to come when Coulthard retired. For example, this (from 8:20), this(from 1:26) and this.Alex Holowczak wrote:The problem that James Allen - and any F1 commentator - has is that they end up getting compared to Murray Walker. That's a battle you can't really win.
I'd much rather have the occasional howler if the commentary was generally exciting than the bore it is now. Here's a comparison. Just compare the mood Brundle's in during the race with how he is in his gridwalk or when talking to Jake, Eddie and DC.Alex Holowczak wrote:I think Croft would have got it, but his radio commentary was poor when Hamilton won the World Championship. He took even longer than the Ferrari pit crew to realise that Hamilton passed Glock on the last corner to finish fifth...