Privatising Royal Mail?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Privatising Royal Mail?

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 am

Richard Thursby wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: I don't see why the downloadable version should have any less than the postal version.
It's to keep the size of the download down. To give specific examples from the chessbase website:
Deep Fritz 12 download has a smaller opening book, a smaller database, fewer 3D boards, no voice output notation and no video training, compared with the DVD

Fritz Powerbook 2011 DVD contains the games from which the book was derived, plus a second book from "the strongest GM games from the past 100 years", neither of which appear on the download.

From what I can see, the Deep Junior 12 and Big Database 2011 appear to be identical to the postal versions.

To buy any of Rybka, Shredder or HIARCS via download, you only get the engine and have to separately find a graphical user interface.
Not sure why the size of the download needs to be kept down. I'm quite prepared to wait a couple of hours for something of such size to download. They could provide express and full download options, so you can opt-in to the long wait if you're prepared to. I'd rather something download for 2-3 hours than have to wait 2-3 days for it to drop through my letterbox.

If I downloaded Rybka for example, I should have the option of downloading the GUI with it.

Deep Fritz's download option seems to be ridiculous to me; they're basically just providing a GUI, an engine, and inferior versions of the other features it has. I hope these differences are made clear at the time of purchase.