Organizational leaders and related issues

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Organizational leaders and related issues

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:29 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:At least, that's my guess. No idea how I appeared there before I'd played any games. :?
I think the convention followed is that if you play in a rated event, such as the 4NCL, you get a code even if you only play unrated opposition.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: This forum and the ECF

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:25 pm

PeterTurland wrote:Please record this is a possible moment in History that should be remembered by all, as Egypt might be edging towards being a true democracy like Switzerland.
It took a while, but after the brinkmanship the end came today. I wonder what the end result will be. The BBC are calling it "Eighteen days that shook the world".

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
PeterTurland wrote:Please record this is a possible moment in History that should be remembered by all, as Egypt might be edging towards being a true democracy like Switzerland.
It took a while, but after the brinkmanship the end came today. I wonder what the end result will be. The BBC are calling it "Eighteen days that shook the world".
Absolutely brilliant.

For me it is personal, in 2003 there were people on the streets of Britain carrying placards saying not in my name. I could not say that because my son was in the Gulf on a minesweeper.

So I started to think long and hard about the whole way international affairs were organised.

If a global 'rule of law' ran human affairs, when Saddam invaded Kuwait and the allies kicked him out, they would have marched all the way to Baghdad and tried him as a 'war criminal' then, not wait 12 years, all the while torturing the Iraqi people with sanctions.

Thing is both Peter de Billiere and Norman Schwarzkopf, wanted to do the logical thing and march to Baghdad and finish the job, but were stopped by Colin Powell, ok Powell was under orders from Bush senior, the real question is who was Bush senior under orders from?

What should run human affairs is principle IMHO, not people, all people should do is, see that the agreed set of secular principles are adhered to.

What has been running human affairs since the year 'dot' is 'me first' then 'my country first' last of all the planet, for me this is 'barse ackwards'.

I'm happy for the Egyptian people that after 30 years, they hopefully will lose their chains, my only fear is they will go like the Iranians, after they got rid of the Shah ie go from one extreme to the other.

I'm happy for the Egyptians as they throw off the chains of thirty years and the whole planet takes a step towards global democracy.

My next big hope is a UN with teeth.
Last edited by PeterTurland on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Then we can all kiss national sovereign democracies goodbye.
You do realize that the UN is full of Ilyumzhinovs ambitious to make
their organization the World Government?

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 pm

George Szaszvari wrote:
Then we can all kiss national sovereign democracies goodbye.
You do realize that the UN is full of Ilyumzhinovs ambitious to make
their organization the World Government?
One man one vote, is my creed, Ilyumzhinov was not elected by this process, when the ridiculous notion that Lichtenstein has the same plebiscite as Russia, are you offering this up as some notion that Ilyumzhinov was voted in by a democratic process?

I know in some ways I am painting myself into a naive corner.

I have this dream of a world run by principle and not by the likes of Gaddafi.

The problem I have is, with the status quo being run by people who don't want change.

Why should our planet be run by Tesco's and its henchmen?

The whole idea of modern civilisation is the idea of 'the rule of law' this is about balance with the 'rights of the individual' being balanced with the 'responsibilities of the individual'.

As an individual, I secede some of my personal sovereignty, that limits my freedom to do whatsoever I please, to the idea of the rule of law, why should nations be any different?

At the end of the day it is about balance between how much freedom the individual has and what is the individual's responsibility to their fellow creatures.

Why can't this same balance be attained by nations, enforced by a Global constitution decided by a properly democratic UN.

The amount of money wasted by all the different nations, armed to the teeth, glaring at each other over arbitrary borders is more than slightly ridiculous.

What is happening in the middle east right now, is ordinary people are claiming their freedom, such as the right to free association and the right to say what they please.

With regards to what happens in Britain, until we have the right to elect who runs the BBC, there will be no change in what runs Britain, basically 'the love of money' is God.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 pm

I've been following the news on Libya very closely for the last few days, mainly on the BBC News 24.

First off, from surfing the 'net viz 'Libyan culture' it seems as though Libyan culture is much more tribal than Egyptian culture, and it becomes apparent that it is not Gaddafi that is running Libya but his tribe, this makes the solution extremely simple, remove the tribes brain, by putting a bounty on this ugly thug's head.

Start of with a million for the first week, rising incrementally, the sight of money being handed out, ensuing from his orders, just to curry favour and denigrate democracy, whilst all the while stopping free association and not allowing free speech, suggests a way for the international community to buy a way out of this current mess.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:26 pm

If you're going to do this, why not call for just killing the guy ourselves and skipping the middle man?
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:If you're going to do this, why not call for just killing the guy ourselves and skipping the middle man?
This would entail us having troops on the ground and it gets much more complicated then.

Gaddafi has been a thorn in the side of international justice for many years, I quote his very words.

'Gaddafi's manifesto, The Green Book, "applauded the tribe as a form of natural social protection. The state, by contrast, was an artificial political, economic and sometimes military system which has no link to human values"'

Copied from here

You cannot help people who won't help themselves, put a big enough price on Gaddafis head and he will disappear with scarcely a trace

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

It doesn't need troops on the ground. It just needs a lot of bombs
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:It doesn't need troops on the ground. It just needs a lot of bombs
I hope you realise Rob, you are saying very silly things.

To understand what I am saying, please understand the difference, between a metaphorical definition and a morphogenetical definition.

We start out as one cell, created by a night of passion ooh la la.

Basically Gaddafi does not understand we are a species, he thinks the world is in his head and because he is head of his tribe thinks democracy is not appropriate for the human race!

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Why is my idea of direct action any more ridiculous than your idea of paying someone to take the action for us?

I have no idea what your one cell point is about. As far as i was aware nights of passion have so far been irrelevant in the Lybia situation.

Thankyou for telling us exactly what Gaddafi thinks, i take it from that that your mystical mind-reading powers are at full strength?

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 am

CJ. How wonderful that you have a President that can be recognised by his initials ! CJ is registered for the Newport Chess Club (he actually lives in Wales).
He has a Welsh Chess Union rating of 1877.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:19 am

Gordon Cadden wrote:CJ. How wonderful that you have a President that can be recognised by his initials !
Actually, CJdM are his initials. :wink:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 pm

"Actually, CJdM are his initials."

That could be argued surely? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJ_de_Mooi
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"Actually, CJdM are his initials."

That could be argued surely? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJ_de_Mooi
I wrote minutes for a meeting, and used his initials as CJ by accident. :oops:

It was corrected to CJdM. So it could well be that the person who corrected me is wrong too...