What is happening to Europe?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Gavin Strachan

Re: What is happening to Europe?

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:07 pm

George Szaszvari wrote:The Visegrad Group (a post Soviet bloc alliance of Poland, Czecho/Slovakia and Hungary) recently announced the militarization of the alliance (apparently independent of, if still in cooperation with the existing NATO alliance).
After decades of clearly defined post WWII blocs the relative "stability" of Europe is seeing increasing changes
in the relationships of EU member states and surrounding countries... anyone here have some opinions or ideas
about how they see these changes affecting Europe in the foreseeable future?
This is more of a cooperation of forces for cost effective purposes as opposed to some kind of defensive or aggressive intent. They really do not have extensive military might (historically pretty poor showing) and I cannot imagine the Russians being overly concerned. NATO is mainly used in campaigns outside of Europe (peacekeeping stuff) now the cold war has ended.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:28 pm

The cold war has ended. But, when will the global warming, energy, water and other resource wars begin?
Europe has depleted its natural resources and will have to compete economically, politically and ultimately militarily, perhaps, for its share of the world's remaining stocks in the future. No use relying on our American friends to 'save' us next time.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Gavin Strachan >NATO is mainly used outside Europe (peacekeeping stuff)...<
Yes it is, but is it peacekeeping? Or has NATO become the US's UN-sanctioned war-making arm (e.g. Libya, Aghanistan & Yugoslavia)?
And, when UN authority cannot be cajoled it makes a coalition of 'willing' allies (some members of NATO) as in Iraq.
Solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant said Tacitus of Roman imperialism. In these times it could be said of the US/NATO that they declare a free-fire zone and call that peace.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:14 pm

John McKenna wrote:.... No use relying on our American friends to 'save' us next time.
The way things are going here in the US, the American friends will have their hands full with their own problems. All those who think that Obama and his cronies are benign do-gooders are living in la-la land. And you thought Bush was bad? Check this out.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/government- ... f-law.html

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:36 pm

George Szaszvari wrote:
John McKenna wrote:.... No use relying on our American friends to 'save' us next time.
The way things are going here in the US, the American friends will have their hands full with their own problems. All those who think that Obama and his cronies are benign do-gooders are living in la-la land. And you thought Bush was bad? Check this out.

Back off George, you seem to think you know the context of which you speak, I have my doubts.

Perhaps you might attempt to explain why, the majority of America disagrees with evolution, as the process by which we all came to exist?
Last edited by PeterTurland on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:59 pm

America currently has or will have soon NDAA (National Defence Authorisation Act), SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and Protect IP, all of which look set to make it very dangerous to live under US foreign policy and use the internet.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:49 pm

My gerbils are better than your gerbils.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:49 pm

PeterTurland wrote:
George Szaszvari wrote:

Back off George, you seem to think you know the context of which you speak, I have my doubts.

Perhaps you might attempt to explain why, the majority of America disagrees with evolution, as the process by which we all came to exist?
I noticed that within seconds of some postings you have rattled out replies (the value of which I leave to others to judge.)
On this, and at least one other posting I've submitted, I've returned straight to the posting to check it for any necessary editing before allowing it to stand (even then it might need later editing) but lo and behold, you have already posted your deeply considered reply!! Now with a "command" to back off :lol:
What's eating you, Peter?

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 pm

George Szaszvari wrote:
Peter Turland wrote:
George Szaszvari wrote:The way things are going here in the US, the American friends will have their hands full with their own problems. All those who think that Obama and his cronies are benign do-gooders are living in la-la land. And you thought Bush was bad? Check this out.

I noticed that within seconds of some postings you have rattled out replies (the value of which I leave to others to judge.)
On this, and at least one other posting I've submitted, I've returned straight to the posting to check it for any necessary editing before allowing it to stand (even then it might need later editing) but lo and behold, you have already posted your deeply considered reply!! Now with a "command" to back off :lol:
What's eating you, Peter?
Christmas and the incessant demand of insurance companies, that we fund their status driven brainwashing, to only think economics is about money, instead of being purely about resource management, the fact that around a fifth of our species suffers from an inadequate diet and unclean water, is an insult to science, logic and Christmas.
Last edited by IM Jack Rudd on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: QUOTE tags. They're not that difficult!

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:America currently has or will have soon NDAA (National Defence Authorisation Act), SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and Protect IP, all of which look set to make it very dangerous to live under US foreign policy and use the internet.
...as well as the dangers of living under US home policy in such circumstances! Hmm, funny how I recollect other ambitious
politicans (some still in living memory) using similar propaganda claims of benevolence for all (except the designated scapegoats)
to dupe the proletariat into helping them achieve totalitarian control.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Thought it was going to be a quiet run up to Christmas on the EC forum but the cat's out of the bag now.
PS Would like to say here that Rob Thompson was right in another thread about rubber bullets - found out that baton rounds have been used 60 times in the UK in the last 4 years!

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:30 pm

George Szaszvari wrote:All those who think that Obama and his cronies are benign do-gooders are living in la-la land.
Who is that stupid?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:34 pm

John McKenna wrote:Thought it was going to be a quiet run up to Christmas on the EC forum but the cat's out of the bag now.
PS Would like to say here that Rob Thompson was right in another thread about rubber bullets - found out that baton rounds have been used 60 times in the UK in the last 4 years!
I was going to mention the football stories involving Suarez and Terry and see what happens, but then thought better of it. Oh. Oops. PS. Can anyone explain to me how reporting in the media can prejudice proceedings in a magistrates' court? I though prejudicial reporting only related to trials involving juries?

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:
George Szaszvari wrote:All those who think that Obama and his cronies are benign do-gooders are living in la-la land.
Who is that stupid?
A large proportion of the US electorate, perhaps? :wink:

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:47 pm

In the midst of all this egotistic argumentifing I have won two games of chess, oo la la.

[Event "FICS rated standard game"]
[Site "FICS, San Jose, California USA"]
[Date "2011.12.21"]
[Time "09:38:40"]
[Round "-"]
[White "Edthra"]
[Black "Korzybski"]
[WhiteElo "1715"]
[BlackElo "1440"]
[TimeControl "1800+10"]
[Mode "ICS"]
[Result "0-1"]