Duncan Edwards

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Chris J Greatorix

Duncan Edwards

Post by Chris J Greatorix » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:40 am

Those of you may not have neard of Duncan Edwards, but you should have. He died because of the 1958 Munich Air Crash. It seems to me that if Duncan Edwards had survived, Manchester United would have won more league championships and European Cups. Not only this, had he survived, England would have won the 1962 and 1970 world cup quite comfortably.
Honestly, this player was truly special, and would have been ahead of Pele in playing talent. Even Bobby Charlton says he was better than he was.
Such a shame.

Paul Cooksey

Re: Duncan Edwards

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:44 am

I'll say I'm looking forward to Paul Lake's upcoming I'm not really here, and will decline to comment further :wink:

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:28 am

A lot of people have said that Duncan Edwards had the potential to be the greatest player in the world. It would have been interesting to see who he would have replaced in the 1966 World Cup team. Some people have indicated Bobby Moore, who was a great player in his own right, although Duncan I believe was a versatile player.

Not sure I would agree about the 1970 World Cup. Duncan would have been 33.5, and it would be asking a lot for a player of that age to be a dominant force in the Mexican heat. However in the 1958 World Cup Duncan would have been four years than Pele, and look what Pele achieved in that competition, although he did not play in Brazil's 0-0 draw against England that year.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Chris J Greatorix wrote:Those of you may not have neard of Duncan Edwards, but you should have.
I walk past a statue in his honour every so often; which is just up the road in Dudley.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 pm

I think most Man Utd fans have heard of him, Chris. And there are, of course, rather a lot of us :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Chris Greatorex said ... Those of you may not have neard of Duncan Edwards ...

I assume the 7th word is an error, because the word which sounds like that and the name of Duncan Edwards would surely not go in the same sentance !

Andy McCulloch

Post by Andy McCulloch » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:12 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Chris Greatorex said ... Those of you may not have neard of Duncan Edwards ...

I assume the 7th word is an error, because the word which sounds like that and the name of Duncan Edwards would surely not go in the same sentance !
I assume that your last word is an error, because I do not know the word 'sentance'.